Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RoundUp 056 - The Top 100 Games Ever

Jammajup Guest

It was very interesting listening to the Top 100 (while i was decorating-sigh),the final top 10 was interesting and the no.1 was a surprise.The only personnel opinion i can make really is that although i understand the popularity of Galaga i do not like it preferring Galaxians and i prefer Moon Alien Pt II over both of them but i do tend to lean towards the more obscure or unusual games lol. Zelda OOT is a game i have heard much about on many retro forums i haunt but i just find Zelda games in third person boring and nothing but a poor progression for the franchise.
    I am not sure i could compile my own personnel Top 100 because i only play retro games they would change on a regular basis except maybe the final 10, so maybe i could sit down one night with a bottle of real ale and think hard and long about a Top 10 or 20.If so i will post it here but i can tell you now Tomb Raider and Doom will most likely be at the top.

drich255 Guest

Great list of top 100 games! I am glad you mentioned Super Metroid, but it should be on the list instead of Metroid. It is the better Metroid game and probably the best SNES game.

Another game I think deserves to be on the list is Chrono Trigger. Great RPG.

Other great games that the list probably just doesn't have room for are Katamari Damacy and World of Goo. Both have great soundtracks and unique game play.

ebrake Guest

One of the better top 100 lists I have seen. No real surprises or gimmicky picks are appreciated. If I had a say, I would have like to have seen Street Fighter 2, Shinobi, Final Fight and Afterburner in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammajup View Post
    although i understand the popularity of Galaga i do not like it preferring Galaxians
    It's not just me then Maybe because Galaxians was one of the first two machines I ever played, but I just love the purity, simplicity and discipline it demands over its flashier offspring...
    "Blue is beautiful. Blue is best." Fenella Fielding, Dougal & the Blue Cat, 1971, anticipating the 2011-12 Premier League season...

Great show, digging it so far. I'm very impressed you've been able to stay on track, keep it moving, and not get too deep into any given game.

I also like Galaxian more than Galaga. Something about Galaga was never quite right for me. Maybe it's because Galaxian is a little more forgiving, maybe because it's a little simpler, but it feels like there's more of a flow to it. Whenever I play Galaga it feels very mechanical - go to this spot, shoot, then go to this spot, shoot. Memorize the patterns for the bonus games... repeat. Obviously a billion people love Galaga and it's a true classic, but I play Galaxian way more.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

I'm a Galaxian person too.

drich255 Guest

Another great game that might not have room in the top 100 is Oregon Trail. It was popular in the States, not sure about outside the US.

Blog Entries

Ya, that was a great game and should have been in there. Pretty historical and ground breaking too! It was a very hard list to put together as you could imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    Another great game that might not have room in the top 100 is Oregon Trail. It was popular in the States, not sure about outside the US.

Thanks for the bonus episode! But, how could you guys leave Adventure for the 2600 completely out of a top 100 list???
    Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback Upgrade Service - Upgrade your flimsy FB to the Ultimate Flashback!
    2600 Games - DK Arcade 2600, EMR II, Epic Adventure, CGE Adventures

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123