Thread: Most useless console revision...

Default Most useless console revision...

As much as I'm a Nintendo supporter and what not, I do question about Nintendo's recent marketing moves, with the WiiU at a price I don't think is right, removing RareWare games off the Virtual Console, and now this!

The Wii Mini... When I thought the idea of releasing the 1cm slimmer Wiis back last year was pointless. This is REALLY pointless. Not only do they remove the GameCube ports on it like the last revision, but it now lacks WiFi!

Thing is, I will admint I do like it's design, it they changed the black to white, they could sell this in Japan and call it the Famicom Wii. That Red has a real good Famicom vibe to it. But still, the WiiU is already out! I mean sure Sony did release the PSOne when the PS2 came out, but at least they didn't gimp it too much on features, it lacked the serial and parallel ports, which were hardly ever used unless you wanted to play import games on it.

Anyway... enough ranting, it turns out that this is a Canada exclusive for the time being, and will retail at $99 Canadian on the 9th of December.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Sony did something like this in Europe, they released a version of the PSP called the PSP Street, a Europe exclusive PSP model that had it's WiFi remove, and received a price drop from 79 to 59 this summer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indieseoul View Post
    In a John Travolta voice: That is weird...so weird.
    I wonder if it comes with a complimentary bottle of maple syrup.
    Let's slap a maple leaf on it instead of the Wii Logo, lmao!

No Wi-Fi, so no Homebrew Channel then.

I wonder how many poor kids will get this instead of the WiiU due to confused parents?

random_dave Guest

I'm very tempted, but not entirely sure i have much use for it, it just reminds me a bit of a closed Dual screen game and watch, and the colours might look quite nice next to my Twin Famicom

Nintendo Life has posted an article today about the Wii Mini.

But this is what got me a bit crazy today...

It's hardly any smaller than the original Wii! So there's Nintendo telling us how it's like a CD case, and in reality it's hardly any different in size to the original model. i mean if you stood back from these two models maybe 10 feet away, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in size! In all honestly they should have picked a white plastic over a black plastic and called it the Famicom Wii. But nope, they try to sell it off as a smaller Wii.

Seriously Nintendo, I'm REALLY worrying about your marketing at the moment!

random_dave Guest

The fact that it doesn't work at all with component cables is what really hammered the final nail in it for me, i mean, not even for 576/480i with the improved bandwidth, it's composite or bust, what a waste

However that said, with it being as much use as a chocolate teapot, I wonder if it will be a massive flop, and then in the future it will hold or rise in value. Sadly with it being zero use to me, and backwards compatible and hackable Wii's available for 30 used I'm not going to invest the cash to find out

s1500 Guest

If I'm going to buy a Wii at all(passed on it due to the too-kid-friendly game library), I would want the backward compat. Thus I could save some entertainment center space(2 for 1) and that doesn't even include the virtual console games!

Looks like I'll be passing on it as well, just like the PS3 which had backwards compat with the PS2 for about 10 minutes.