Thread: Graphics cards! Urgh!...

Default Graphics cards! Urgh!...

Ok, when I thought I knew a fair amount of stuff about PCs, maybe I don't, even if I took 4 years in university to learn IT.

But here's the issue, I recently bought myself an Nvidia GTX650 in the belief that NVidia cards would be more reliable than ATI. Originally I had an HD6770, which was ok until it began to randomly freeze and crash after playing flash files and certain games. So Believing that NVidia would be better I got a GTX650, at first the same thing was happening with the new card, a friend of mine told me to use Drvier Sweeper to remove any ATI driver remnants that was left on my hard drive and registry that the uninstaller missed. But even then that only half worked, it crashed less, but it would still crash.

Since then I have reinstalled Windows 7 again due to issues from other things. This time it's a fresh install with absolutely no ATI drivers at all, but now it crashes more so than the Windows install I had before and it's annoying me! Does anyone know what the hell is going on!?

Wow... I think I just fixed it after finding a solution from a PC Gaming forum. It might be to do with my Power settings in Windows as it appeared to be using "Moderate Power Saving" on the PCI-Express power cable. So I turned that off to get full power. Now I should be playing Saints Row 3, XCOM Enemy Unknown, and others on full whack graphics!

...I fell like an idiot now for not thinking about that, lmao!

Well... I wouldnt have thought about it, I would have simply blamed Microsoft

Me either but it clearly is Microsoft's fault

OK, the frustration isn't over just yet.

I now have a new problem...

There's now a new kind of crash that I receive in games, but it not as painful as the crashes of old. This time the game will freeze, but I unfreeze the game by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del, and when I get the set of options such as log off and opening task manager, if I click "Cancel", the game starts again, but only for about 30 seconds before I have to do it all over again...

Tedious...

However... Here's the weird thing, ONE game doesn't do this. I bought the latest Sherlock Holmes game on the Steam on the Black Friday Deals, and bam! It works! But here's the WEIRDEST thing about it, it runs better in Ultimate graphics settings than High Graphics setting!?

it's so odd. On Higher settings there was a weird delay when moving and looking around, but when I whack everything up to maximum, the delay and lag disappeared.
    Last edited by SepticLemon; 28-11-12 at 11:53.

i4000 Guest

Is it just me, or is that Jackie Chan?

Quote Originally Posted by i4000 View Post
    Is it just me, or is that Jackie Chan?
    Jackie Chan indeed, he's become a meme.

Ok, after whining at Focus and Indie on Skype about it, I believe I found the problem...

...and it wasn't an issue with the Graphics card either...

Turned out that there's a heat sink right next to my CPU on the motherboard that cools down a set of high amperage voltage regulators. The heatsink itself wasn't dirty, but the thermal pad underneath had a thick layer of dust on it. So i dusted that down and gave my PC a thorough dusting by taking everything apart and dusting it rather than just point an air duster to it and close the case.

So Yay to fixing things!