Thread: Wow Nintendo, what a way to kill Virtual Console!

Default Wow Nintendo, what a way to kill Virtual Console!

Yeah, One of my favourite series is being pulled from the Virtual Console, the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...irtual_console

Donkey Gone-ga
    According to an image uploaded onto Twitter by Daan Koopman (@NintenDaan), Nintendo is to remove Donkey Kong Country and its SNES sequels from the European Wii Virtual Console this month, on 25th November.
    The following games will be removed:
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Quest

If these games are on your 'to buy' list, then we recommend you purchase them as soon as you can. It is puzzling, however, that Nintendo would pull the Donkey Kong Country trilogy from the Wii Shop Channel. Could there be internal conflicts between Nintendo and developers Rare? It might be absolutely nothing, but strange all the same.
    The hell, does Nintendo "Really" hate Rare at this point or something? I mean OK I do own Donkey Kong Country 1 on the Virtual Console, in fact DKC1 was a launch release virtual console title on the UK/European Wii launch, so I've had it day one, maybe this is an excuse to snag up DKC2... Still, it sucks, please stop making me dislike you Nintendo...
    Last edited by SepticLemon; 16-11-12 at 10:12.

These were up for how many years at this point? I would think that if you really wanted to buy a DKC title for VC you would have already done it so it doesn't seem like *that* big a deal. It does seem weird for them to bother taking them down at this point, but there's always a reason... probably legal.

If they take down all the TG-16 games, that'd be a bigger deal for me personally, but it's been a couple years since I bought anything on VC anyways any my odds of buying anything in the future are low. That's just me, though...
    Last edited by BydoEmpire73; 16-11-12 at 11:40.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Vipp Guest

I enjoy being able to download titles on the Wii but most of the prices are just silly. I do however had DK 1 as its a great game.

i4000 Guest

It's a strange move, I can't see any benefit to Nintendo of doing this, even if they only sell a minimal amount it's still money for nothing to them, maybe it is a falling out with Rare and some sort of licence or agreement is expiring / not being renewed?

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a licensing/legal issue. Maybe Rare only agreed to a couple years or something... who knows.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

RetroRevisited Guest

I'm hoping for a shiny collectors edition compiling all three titles (and the Donkey Kong Land versions would be nice too), even though that's unlikely. Wasn't there a recent rumour that Nintendo were looking to buy back Rareware though, or is that something I just imagined?

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevisited View Post
    Wasn't there a recent rumour that Nintendo were looking to buy back Rareware though, or is that something I just imagined?
    I do believe you were imagining that. Nintendo were mega furious at Rare for spending too much time on Dinosaur Planet, which then became Star Fox Adventures, which was a really mediocre game. TBH, at that time when they released SFA, Rare had a different staff, the actual people behind the DKC series and Golden Eye were long gone, Rare was simply a different company, the only good thing that came out the new employees at Rare was Banjo Kazooie, and even then only about a quarter of that staff team are still working at Rare now. Rare was simply a company that went through one too many people, and one too many changes. I really doubt that Rare will ever be as good as they used to be in the ZX Spectrum and SNES days.

RetroRevisited Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SepticLemon View Post
    I do believe you were imagining that. Nintendo were mega furious at Rare for spending too much time on Dinosaur Planet, which then became Star Fox Adventures, which was a really mediocre game. TBH, at that time when they released SFA, Rare had a different staff, the actual people behind the DKC series and Golden Eye were long gone, Rare was simply a different company, the only good thing that came out the new employees at Rare was Banjo Kazooie, and even then only about a quarter of that staff team are still working at Rare now. Rare was simply a company that went through one too many people, and one too many changes. I really doubt that Rare will ever be as good as they used to be in the ZX Spectrum and SNES days.
    I thoughts as much. The decline of Rare depresses me - but at least we'll always have Goldeneye, BK, Conker, DKC, etc, etc.