1 4.00%
  • Sim City

1 4.00%
  • Jet Pac

8 32.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10/12 Top-10 ZX Spectrum Games

Default Specvent Calendar

Just a note in case anyone's still reading this, I've started opening a window a day on my Specvent calendar - the 24 ZX Spectrum games that meant the most to me over the past 30 years. Not necessarily the best (in some cases definitely not...) but the ones I've spent the most time playing (or at least messing about with.) Head over to http://tanstardis.blogspot.co.uk/ and you could be the first person other than me ever to read my blog...
    "Blue is beautiful. Blue is best." Fenella Fielding, Dougal & the Blue Cat, 1971, anticipating the 2011-12 Premier League season...

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Coul View Post
    Just a note in case anyone's still reading this, I've started opening a window a day on my Specvent calendar - the 24 ZX Spectrum games that meant the most to me over the past 30 years. Not necessarily the best (in some cases definitely not...) but the ones I've spent the most time playing (or at least messing about with.) Head over to http://tanstardis.blogspot.co.uk/ and you could be the first person other than me ever to read my blog...
    Love the advent calendar Tan. It is funny how some games mean more to you than they do others. I love "Spectral Panic" on the speccy as it was one of two games I got with my Speccy in Xmas 1983 along with Atic Atac. I'm looking forward to the rest of the calendar.

Thanks for the kind words Sabreman - I started compiling a list of the "best" games but soon realised this was a much more meaningful approach for me, and more fun as well - there are still some obvious classics in there, but what has become clear to me since I started is how much I look back on the early pioneering stuff as the best - nothign from 1982, to be fair, that was just too early (and perhaps not coincidentally I got my Speccy in May '83...) but 10 of my 24 picks are from 1983, while only three are from later than 1986, even though the Spectrum was still my main gaming source until around 1991 or '92... though without giving any more away, door 24 will contain not only my favourite but also the latest game of any on the list, though I doubt anyone will guess what it is!
    "Blue is beautiful. Blue is best." Fenella Fielding, Dougal & the Blue Cat, 1971, anticipating the 2011-12 Premier League season...

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Coul View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Sabreman - I started compiling a list of the "best" games but soon realised this was a much more meaningful approach for me, and more fun as well - there are still some obvious classics in there, but what has become clear to me since I started is how much I look back on the early pioneering stuff as the best - nothign from 1982, to be fair, that was just too early (and perhaps not coincidentally I got my Speccy in May '83...) but 10 of my 24 picks are from 1983, while only three are from later than 1986, even though the Spectrum was still my main gaming source until around 1991 or '92... though without giving any more away, door 24 will contain not only my favourite but also the latest game of any on the list, though I doubt anyone will guess what it is!

It is good to see "West Bank" in there that was a great game although I don't think it'd make it into my calendar.

For your "favourite but also the latest game of any on the list" - I'm going to guess Spherical?

Good to see you are still going strong with the advent calendar Tan. It is a great read and I'm pleased to see so many classics in there. Xeno is one of my all time favorite 2 player games. It hardly ever gets a mention so it is nice to see it getting some love.

I just read that "Lords of Midnight" has been released for iOS. Looks like a crisp version of the ZX original (they kept the same colours) and if I remember the controls correctly, it should work nicely on the iphone's screen.

I got the Lords of Midnight this morning. It is fantastic to be playing it again 28 years after I got it for Christmas.

Jammajup Guest

I remember getting quite far into Lords Of Midnight,it shows just how good some of these games were for the time when you can still play them today.

Blog Entries

I'm not going to vote because I've never played any ZX spectrum games, but that made this top 10 even more interesting. I think the games that looked the best to me were Head Over Heels and Where Time Stood Still. I also think that I see a lot of influences for Zelda in many of these games which is interesting.

Also, I like making old tech do unexpected things. I'd watched that video where the guy puts streaming video through his Speccy before listening and I appreciated the inclusion of Sim City.

Hey - Didn't they make a version of Computer Space for this system?

The ultimate games were all fantastic for their release time. But I did not get into the last few. Can't even remember what they were called cyber run? martionoids?
    Ant Attack was amazing visuals for the time, I played that for hours
    I also loved the fantasy software ziggy games, like the pyramid
    There was loads of great action adventure games like the wally series, skool daze and jack the nipper.
    And the vector games by design design software were good arcade action type games.

It was a fantastic system, in fact I just love the Speccy !!!! I really want to play it now !!!

Anybody play jet pac refueled on the 360? It's pretty good, but I can't get very far in it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast