Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your MAME Cab Controls

Default Show Me Your MAME Cab Controls

I was just curious to see what some of you MAME cab owners are using for your controls/panel. I have a working MAME PC, but I haven't mounted it in a cab yet, nor have I decided on a particular control panel/layout.

I may end up using one of the arcade cabs I recently acquired for my MAME cab (there are a couple that are in pretty bad shape, and they themselves are not the original cabs the games were in), which would in some ways dictate the size/type of control panel I install.

Anyway, just looking for some ideas,

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    4 button setup using an iPac
    Very clean and uncluttered. I like it.

But lacking when it comes to Missile Command, Centipede, etc.

What do you do with those?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nurmix View Post
    lacking when it comes to Missile Command, Centipede, etc.

What do you do with those?
    Use the joysticks which MAME does OK, but it obviously isn't the same.

I could have squeezed a trackball in there but because it was quite tight underneath with the speaker positioning etc I left it out.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    Use the joysticks which MAME does OK, but it obviously isn't the same.

I could have squeezed a trackball in there but because it was quite tight underneath with the speaker positioning etc I left it out.
    Did you fabricate the panel yourself, or did it come in that configuration? I would like to do something very similar with the addition of a trackball.

Blog Entries

It is the original piece which ironically originally had a trackball. I got a friend to weld a plate on the underside and then filled the original holes with fibreglass (bondo to you).

Once hardened and rubbed down I marked and drilled my own hole layout.

http://www.jamesonline.net/arcade/im...irecabgallery/
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Here’s a blog post I did on my project, scroll to the bottom for pics of the finished cabinet: http://cynicaster.blogspot.ca/2012/0...bout-some.html

I realize some would probably say that my control panel is too cluttered but, for what it’s worth, after almost 1.5 years of service I wouldn’t change a thing (at least not in the number and types of controls). A big part of it is I didn’t just build it for myself, I wanted it to be enjoyed by everybody who comes over, which is what makes it fun.

I realize that probably 80%-90% of the best games can be played with 0-4 buttons, but unfortunately you need the 6-button layout for the fighters. I don’t even like fighters, but I’m glad I can play them because Street Fighter 2 has been requested every single time I’ve had a party since finishing the project. Besides, buttons are cheap and don’t take up too much space.

The trackball was probably the most expensive component on my cabinet, but it was 100% mandatory for me. Not only for Missile Command and Centipede but for the “party games” that can be brought out to get non-gamer guests engaged (http://cynicaster.blogspot.ca/2012/0...ur-buddys.html).

If there is one thing I included strictly to be self-indulgent, it was the dedicated 4-way stick. Be warned that playing 4-way games on 8-way sticks can be a horrifying experience. To see what I mean, try Frogger, DK, Burgertime, Pac-Man, or God forbid NIBBLER, on a generic 8-way joystick and get ready to pull your hair out. If you like to play for score, dying because the joystick misinterpreted your move and made your frog leap directly into traffic makes the game unplayable, IMO. You can buy sticks that are switchable between 4-way and 8-way, but before you consider such a product make sure you read up on it to see what people are saying about it.
    Check out CYN CITY:
    http://cynicaster.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicaster View Post
    Here’s a blog post I did on my project, scroll to the bottom for pics of the finished cabinet: http://cynicaster.blogspot.ca/2012/0...bout-some.html
    I like it! Despite the additional buttons it looks really clean and nicely laid out. The only thing I would probably change would be to put the joysticks to the right of the buttons, as I prefer to use my right hand on the joystick, and my left for the buttons. Nice use of the Atari Fuji too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurmix View Post
    I like it! Despite the additional buttons it looks really clean and nicely laid out. The only thing I would probably change would be to put the joysticks to the right of the buttons, as I prefer to use my right hand on the joystick, and my left for the buttons. Nice use of the Atari Fuji too.
    Thanks man.

Yeah, regarding which side of the buttons the joystick goes on, I put quite a bit of thought into that before settling on my final layout. You just have to accept that a one-size-fits-all panel is going to be riddled with compromises. I'm a little weird in that whether I'm most comfortable playing right- or left-handed depends on the game. For whatever reason, the older games--especially "maze game" type things--the right-handed joystick is an absolute must. I'm thinking this is probably a carry-over from the fact that I grew up playing games like Pac-Man and Frogger using the venerable right-handed CX-40. But for shoot-em-ups, beat-em-ups, fighters, and generally any game with more than one button, it's left-handed joysticks all the way.

I usually try to mimic the original arcade control layout as closely as possible with the button assignments on my panel--the fact that you can set and store mappings on a game by game basis is one of the most wonderful things about MAME. When I realized the original DK cabinet had only a right-side jump button, I had to reprogram my brain to play the other way around. If I wanted to use my 4-way stick, I had to use the player-2 start button as jump. That bugged me at first but it's comfortable and once you get playing you forget all about the fact that your jump button has a decal on it.
    Check out CYN CITY:
    http://cynicaster.blogspot.ca/

...I'm thinking this is probably a carry-over from the fact that I grew up playing games like Pac-Man and Frogger using the venerable right-handed CX-40. But for shoot-em-ups, beat-em-ups, fighters, and generally any game with more than one button, it's left-handed joysticks all the way.
    Yep, that's it!

I usually try to mimic the original arcade control layout as closely as possible with the button assignments on my panel--the fact that you can set and store mappings on a game by game basis is one of the most wonderful things about MAME. When I realized the original DK cabinet had only a right-side jump button, I had to reprogram my brain to play the other way around. If I wanted to use my 4-way stick, I had to use the player-2 start button as jump. That bugged me at first but it's comfortable and once you get playing you forget all about the fact that your jump button has a decal on it.
    Yeah, I know it will take me a while to get the various games mapped out. I haven't really played around with / set up MAME in a cab with custom controls, but I definitely love the fact that it can be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast