Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Cranes new Pitfall. Kinda.

Default David Cranes new Pitfall. Kinda.

As announced at CGE, David Crane is doing a new game via kickstarter. Now - go fund it already! :-)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...le-adventure-0

focusrs Guest

im going broke with all these cool kickstarter projects

Haha tell me about it!

Did anyone check this recently? I would say with 99.9% certainty he isnt gonna get anywhere near his goal. Very sad. 20k of 900k with 21 days to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jungleventure/david-cranes-jungle-adventure-0?ref=email

Blog Entries

It is a mystery what resonates in kickstarter, some podcast you never heard of will try to raise 20k and get 250k but another project created by a master in the industry goes unnoticed.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    As announced at CGE, David Crane is doing a new game via kickstarter. Now - go fund it already! :-)
    I pledged $25.

So, how are those 2 posters you sweet talked the booth babe out of at CGE, Shaun?
    ;-)

Frankly I think he is a greedy tool to be looking for so much in kick starter funds. I would like to know how you can possibly justify close to a million dollars in what amounts to pre-order funding. It would have made much more sense to look for something more achievable and if the total goes above that then great.

Quote Originally Posted by meu2 View Post
    Frankly I think he is a greedy tool to be looking for so much in kick starter funds. I would like to know how you can possibly justify close to a million dollars in what amounts to pre-order funding. It would have made much more sense to look for something more achievable and if the total goes above that then great.
    Unfortunately I have to disagree. Having worked in the industry for a long time (and especiallyin "low end" games more recently - facebook stuff) for the game he was wanting to create I think, although he could probably have funded it for slightly less, this is probably reasonable. Wages in the industry, especially in CA, are a big part of the budget but theres a a gazillion other things to take into account. I just think this game was never going to work as a kickstarter. And - really - aside from us crusty retro dudes... who *really* knows who David Crane is in todays gaming circles? People may have heard of him, maybe even played Pitfall, but he isnt close to being as relevant as I think he needs to be to raise this kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurmix View Post
    I pledged $25.

So, how are those 2 posters you sweet talked the booth babe out of at CGE, Shaun?
    ;-)
    You know mate... when you have the natural "spunk" that I have, these sexy PR women are very easily manipulated. And you forget I had my secret weapon... I was liberally doused in Stallion Spray (AKA Stetson). That s--t is dynamite!

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    Unfortunately I have to disagree. Having worked in the industry for a long time (and especiallyin "low end" games more recently - facebook stuff) for the game he was wanting to create I think, although he could probably have funded it for slightly less, this is probably reasonable. Wages in the industry, especially in CA, are a big part of the budget but theres a a gazillion other things to take into account. I just think this game was never going to work as a kickstarter. And - really - aside from us crusty retro dudes... who *really* knows who David Crane is in todays gaming circles? People may have heard of him, maybe even played Pitfall, but he isnt close to being as relevant as I think he needs to be to raise this kind of money.
    Well I also have years of software engineering experience, both in relation to game development and non-game development, so I am very well aware of the costs involved in developing a large scale application and would have to disagree with the amount of funding being sought.

Typically the two factors that contribute the most to development cost is the number of people involved and the development time. I could be mistaken, but it sounds like there will be a team of 3-6 people involved in this project (excluding Crane) and it is due for delivery in Dec 2013. That means the project will cost between 5 to 9 man years making the funding target of $900,000 very high, especially since Jungle Adventure Inc. will also end up with a monetize able asset at the end of the project. Not everyone is willing to effectively pre-order a game through Kickstater so there will be more money to be made when the game is released.

Development in the CA area may be expensive, but then thereís no need to hire anyone from that area either. We live in a worldwide market these days and there are more than enough equally capable people outside of CA that could do the job. Perhaps the team will end up bigger, but thatís all the more reason to utilize alternative talent.

I do agree with you on your second point though; the issue is that neither Crane nor Pitfall really has the required pulling power to fund a low risk development project. Kickstater projects that have seen big success typically resonate more with current audiences, such as the Double Fine project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast