Thread: Best all-round GBA mod

random_dave Guest

Default Best all-round GBA mod

GUYS!

I've been waiting for the winter evenings to start disassembling a GBA SP to see if it transplants to an original GBA case, so that i can use the GBA SP backlit screen and have the most comfortable, brightest GB/GBC/GBA player.

But i have just learned about this cable, that allows you to simply transplant the screen, and not all the guts

Now i just gotta figure out how to use the website to buy one
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=1...4.12367366.0.0

Blog Entries

Looks like a cool mod. Make sure you put this one on your You-Tube Channel. Guess you better brush up on your Chinese as well. LOL

VideoGameRescue Guest

I had a customer come in my shop and tell me about this mod. I think I'm going to attempt it as soon as I "Brush up on my Chinese"

random_dave Guest

Do we have an "official" GG Forum chinese translator?

random_dave Guest

I have managed to contact the guy, and for a screen (to save me ripping up my AGS-101) a cable and shipping to the UK it comes to $62

That's more than i was hoping to spend, but around the same amount that it often costs to get an AGS-101 over here, so seeing as it means that i don't have to buy and dismantle and rearrange a 101 into an AGB casing i'm gonna give it a bash

Quote Originally Posted by random_dave View Post
    GUYS!

I've been waiting for the winter evenings to start disassembling a GBA SP to see if it transplants to an original GBA case, so that i can use the GBA SP backlit screen and have the most comfortable, brightest GB/GBC/GBA player.

But i have just learned about this cable, that allows you to simply transplant the screen, and not all the guts

Now i just gotta figure out how to use the website to buy one
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=1...4.12367366.0.0
    Personally I found the SP much more comfortable than that original GBA. Good luck with it though.

random_dave Guest

I prefer the non clicky buttons of the GBA and GBMicro over the SP, and I find the SP and the Micro are a little cramped.
    The micro has a great battery, but the screen can be a little too small, and obviously it doesn't play orignal/colour Gameboy gams (without emulation on a flash cart)
    The SP has a decent rechargeable battery, but the controls and the requirement to use an adapter for the heaphones are annoying.

So for me a GBA with a nice screen would be the best for me. I have an SP lying around just for parts which i may look at putting the battery into the GBA and then turning the SP into a docking station (to utilise the charging circuit)

random_dave Guest

Well my bits arrived today, and 30 minutes of a little plastic shaving and soldering later and this is the result

If anyone fancies this but doesn't want to get involved in the (tiny) amount of actual modding he even sells pre-modded units. I love it

That is awesome! Did you end up modding in the rechargeable battery as well?

Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.

Mark Twain
    3ds friend code: 0817-3821-6504
    Mario Kart racer community: 65-1417-7306-7334
    PSN Name: tomtom2play

random_dave Guest

no, nothing like that yet, i've not really been doing that much tinkering for a while sadly ;(

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.