Thread: My thoughts on the PS Vita

Default My thoughts on the PS Vita

Well, I finally caved and got a modern system for work. I had a 3DS but have gotten bored with it, and needed something portable, so I traded off the iPod 4g I picked up early this year and picked up a 3G PS Vita, a 16 GB memory card, and 2 games (Marvel vs. Capcom 3 as well as Metal Gear HD Collection). Since this forum hasn't had a lot of activity, here are my thoughts.

First this thing has an awesome screen. The 3ds is unique at first, but the OLED on this thing is so crisp. It's wonderful not just for games but streaming Netflix or Youtube on here. Unfortunately, its also a 5 inch screen, great for the eyes but bad for the size. This makes the controls slightly cramped and small when trying to cram on 4 buttons, a D Pad, and two analog sticks. It's playable, but definately smaller than what is comfortable.

Graphics are great on this thing. Prolly due to them using a quad core CPU and a second quad core GPU. Graphics do not a good game make, but still nice to look at.

One thing thats strange about this system is that it feels like a cell phone. It may be that most of the menus are driven through touch controls rather than buttons, but navigating the interface is very reminiscent of navigating your cell phone. There's also a few games that use touch controls on here, but most use standard controls. One odd one is Metal Gear HD, which uses the touchpad on the back of the system (the back supports touch input as well as the screen) for a few moves, possibly since the face has fewer buttons than the original PS2 controllers.

My verdict is that its a good system, marred by lack of good game selection and a steep price. Keep in mind that a memory card is a must and the prices are steep. My 16 GB card retails for 60, and the 32 GB for 99, which is insane considering you can get a Micro SD card for half or less of Sonys cost for its proprietary formats. They really need a price drop on their storage, and the system could use a 50 dollar drop for both models (the wifi only is 50 bucks cheaper)

random_dave Guest

I really do love mine, rayman origins looks the tits on it, and i can't wait for Retro City Rampage to come out

I just wish the PS1 compatibilty was there already as I think the screen and dpad would make some games really nice to play, I'm also annoyed that the EU playstation store doesn't have Dracula X chronicles on it as that would be another game that would benefit the Vita's improvements over the PSP

I am thinking of getting one. Do you guys still like it?

Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.

Mark Twain
    3ds friend code: 0817-3821-6504
    Mario Kart racer community: 65-1417-7306-7334
    PSN Name: tomtom2play

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom2play View Post
    I am thinking of getting one. Do you guys still like it?
    Still like it. PS Plus is a great deal for the free games. Also one of my favorite games, Binding of Isaac, was announced as coming to the Vita next year.