Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petit Computer

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by focusrs View Post
    This thing is giving me flashbacks to programming games on my old Bally Astrocade Pretty simple to use, having quite a bit of fun with it just messing around getting used to it. Already starting to make sprites and such for my game

Looks pretty smooth Focus.

I know everything is online these days, but I would totally subscribe to a computer magazine that gave you Petit Computer Basic programs to use.
    Last edited by drich255; 21-08-13 at 03:01.

drich255 Guest

My first attempt at a Petit Computer Game (CAMM2013). Inspired by RGR, Focus on the Prize (June), and a bit by Diagamblic's avatar (click attachments for larger QR codes). Enjoy!

CAMM Files 1.jpg

CAMM Files 2.jpg

CAMM Files 3.jpg
    Last edited by drich255; 10-09-13 at 08:15.

Vipp Guest

Great stuff, i scanned the codes. i will try this out tonight.

EDIT: DRICH THIS GAME IS BRILLIANT! i have a score of 8 but i am enjoying it a lot!
    Last edited by Vipp; 10-09-13 at 06:40.

Vipp Guest

Can anyone demystify this program for me? i want to begin 100% dedicating time to working on my first fun program. im not a programmer so i need help translating the basic tutorials into a language i understand. you tube tutorials seem to be more confusing than the presence of Turkish Delight chocolate bars in British supermarkets, i mean i just dont get it...

What i want to do is a Canobolt style game in every sense of the word, here is what i would like my program to do:

Load game/QR Code

Menu screen with an image of Septic LEmon, Focus RS and Indie seoul standing in a group. a message saying 'Select your podcaster'
    and three boxed with the guys names which can be selected to start the game.

the game begins like canobolt - i want three backgrounds that move at different speeds to give the impression of distance like shadow of the beast/canobolt.

all three guys will run and jump over 3 types of obsticle that if YOU run into will slow your momentum down.

the three objects will be drawn by myself.

then when the character hits an object in the game or falls down a hole (men at work/subway/sewer ect ect) they will fall down into a pool of skin coloured pixels and blood pixels.

that will bring up a score card with the distance run...

So guys where do i start, is this too adventurous or even impossible? it this like making a film where you shoot the parts you need to then edit them together in chunks or do game programmers work from the menu screen to the end credits?

thank you guys for your time and help, i really want to work hard at making a game.

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
    Great stuff, i scanned the codes. i will try this out tonight.

EDIT: DRICH THIS GAME IS BRILLIANT! i have a score of 8 but i am enjoying it a lot!
    Vipp, really glad you like the game! It has been my side project for the last 2-3 weeks.

I am a programmer, but not a games/graphics programmer. And I struggled to figure out how to do simple graphics. I bought the kindle book off Amazon. It is okay, but still light on the graphics technical details. Plus a lot of the screen shots are in Japanese. But between the online manual, the kindle book, internet examples, and trial & error - I was able to find what I wanted.

The Kindle book would be good for Basic basics (more so than the online manual). And they have a lot of short examples that do involve graphics including a game like you described (but simpler - single player and you are jumping over pits). You could probably use that game as a starting point for what you want to do. There are also default character sprites that you can modify for your own purposes.

And feel free to load my game in edit mode to look at the code to see what I have done. I'll post more later when I get more time and try to explain some of the things that helped me.
    Last edited by drich255; 10-09-13 at 10:02.

drich255 Guest

Vipp, for me, writing a program is very much how you described making a film. I find sections are easier than starting from the beginning and going to the end. You get basic things working and then you polish them up over time. For your game, you could get the basic game mechanics working first and then go back and add the custom sprites, menus, sounds, death scenes, scrolling backgrounds, scores, etc. Or you could start with the custom graphics first and save the game mechanics for later. Bite sized sections are usually best.

And I don't think your game idea is an impossible task. It will take some time to learn some Basic programming and how to use the Petit Computer tools/screens (and I did find that frustrating due to the lack of detailed information). But even for a non-programmer, it is possible. Just imagine you are back in the early 80's and you are learning BASIC along with everyone else with a home computer. Writing your own games in BASIC is very retro. And being able to share them with the DS is awesome.
    Last edited by drich255; 10-09-13 at 10:03.

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    Vipp, for me, writing a program is very much how you described making a film. I find sections are easier than starting from the beginning and going to the end. You get basic things working and then you polish them up over time. For your game, you could get the basic game mechanics working first and then go back and add the custom sprites, menus, sounds, death scenes, scrolling backgrounds, scores, etc. Or you could start with the custom graphics first and save the game mechanics for later. Bite sized sections are usually best.

And I don't think your game idea is an impossible task. It will take some time to learn some Basic programming and how to use the Petit Computer tools/screens (and I did find that frustrating due to the lack of detailed information). But even for a non-programmer, it is possible. Just imagine you are back in the early 80's and you are learning BASIC along with everyone else with a home computer. Writing your own games in BASIC is very retro. And being able to share them with the DS is awesome.

I saw the book advertised on the petite computer website, i thought it was a little cheecky to advertise a book on how to best use the program after i paid for the program. that sucks hairy balls but if i can understand the commands i know this is the sort of thing i will be good at, i am persistent, patient and will re try something a million times before i give up so i know the final product could be great however i just need to have this language in a way i understand. thank you for your advice, its a great starting place. do you think i could 'borrow' a copy of your petit computer book from amazon Drich? im not sure if thats possible but it might help.

tonight i managed to get into the sprites part of the software and play about with re designing a character walking to the right, i made a Septic Lemon but he turned out to have red hair and a large nose so i need to figure that out lol.

drich255 Guest

Vipp, not my copy, but try this PDF.

I know what you mean. I don't mind paying for a good computer book that is clear and detailed, this one falls short. I should review it for Amazon. I'd probably give it a 3 out 5 stars.
    Last edited by drich255; 11-09-13 at 02:43.

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
    I saw the book advertised on the petite computer website, i thought it was a little cheecky to advertise a book on how to best use the program after i paid for the program. that sucks hairy balls but if i can understand the commands i know this is the sort of thing i will be good at, i am persistent, patient and will re try something a million times before i give up so i know the final product could be great however i just need to have this language in a way i understand. thank you for your advice, its a great starting place. do you think i could 'borrow' a copy of your petit computer book from amazon Drich? im not sure if thats possible but it might help.

tonight i managed to get into the sprites part of the software and play about with re designing a character walking to the right, i made a Septic Lemon but he turned out to have red hair and a large nose so i need to figure that out lol.
    Vipp, sounds great! So I might be telling you stuff you already know, but here are some things I learned.

I used CHRED to draw the four boxes in my game and select my colors. I also used it to modify the fonts, so that when the squares flashed I had the rounded corners (I could just change the font color depending on which square was flashing). The confusing thing was that these all had to be saved as separate files (hence the multiple files with the QR codes). So I had one file for the colors, one for the fonts, and one for the characters that I drew.

Then I used SCRED (think SCREEN) to design the actual background used during the game. So I had to load my character file in and then you can place those characters on the background screen where you want them. Then when the game actually runs, you have to LOAD in the color file, the character file, and the screen file -- just to load your background as you designed it. You should also be able to have a different color palate for your sprites.

For the font/letters, the screen is 32 characters wide and 24 lines. I believe the touch screen has the same dimensions, but I haven't played around with that much. And each text character is 8X8 pixels -- so you really have 256 pixels width and 192 pixels length available for the screen.

In my game, the high score was saved in yet another file. The data there needs to be in string format, not integer format. The Kindle book did cover this. But one thing I don't like about Petit Computer is how it always prompts the user with YES/NO every time it tries to save a file that already exists. I couldn't find a way to suppress the warning. So that is why my game prompts to verify that you want to override the file when it tries to save the high score to memory. I didn't like it, but I wanted to retain the high score beyond the running of the game.

And file names can only be 8 characters long. Seems like a lame limitation. So you kind of have to get creative with your file names so that they are unique, yet still descriptive. I would recommend using CHR, SCR, BGF, COL, etc in the names to help remind you what the file is for. Of course, if you have two games that use a HISCORE file, they will overwrite each other, so you probably want to get more unique than that.

I might have said this already, but the Kindle book has a number of 24 line example programs to show what it can do (meaning programs that fit onto one screen). That includes games with graphics. And then later it has a number of 100 line sample programs that showcase more of its capabilities. I haven't gone through a lot of those examples in detail, but I think I will need to pick them apart so that I can get a better feel for how to do graphics on the different layers of screens and how to manipulate the graphics with more ease.

I think my next game will be Cribbage. I love Cribbage and those card game collections for the DS often leave it out (there is one that has it, but it isn't Clubhouse Games). I will keep it as a pretty basic text interface to begin with. I am really more interested in seeing if I can program a challenging Cribbage AI opponent rather than getting the slick graphics working.

Good luck. And get the book from my previous post if you missed it.
    Last edited by drich255; 11-09-13 at 05:43.

Vipp Guest

D Rich this is all fantastic info buddy and its really easy to understand when you explain it so thank you! i will keep at this and see if i can begin by designing wither a title screen art or the art for indie septic and focusRS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast