• Twilight Zone

2 16.67%
  • Indiana Jones - Williams

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 01/12 Top-10 Pinball Themes and/or IPs

Blog Entries

Default 01/12 Top-10 Pinball Themes and/or IPs

While UK Mike is furiously editing together another monstrous show why not take some time and familiarize yourself with our latest Top-10, Pinball Themes and/or IPs.

And be sure to listen for a special MINI ROUNDUP hitting soon after our January Podcast featuring a 70 minute interview with Steve Ritchie as we discuss his history with Pinball as well as in depth discussions of his latest game AC/DC which is releasing this February from Stern. You Pinheads don't want to miss this one!

T2 by a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng chalk. Because it's still a great movie and franchise. And in my opinion is still the most fun pinball ever.

I also gotta go with T2, followed by Elvira (TITS!) and Kiss (not a fave, but their early stuff was decent)

I'd never seen Strikes and Spares, but I just googled it and it looks awesome.

Great show as usual guys. I'm not much of a pinball fan, but I do have to say that I spent a lot of time on the T2 table.

Now, what I'm about to say is going to be a bit of a digression, but only because UK Mike said something during the top ten that I feel needs to be expanded upon. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I agree with UK Mike. I never thought those words would escape my lips, but I have ot concede that the guy got something right.

I, for one, never understood the appeal of the original lineup of Kiss. While you did occasionally get a decent song or two (God Of Thunder, e.g.) on each album, the vast majority of Kiss' output was foppish party music. I'll take the later stuff, like "Creatures Of The Night" and "Revenge" over monotonous, overrated crap like "Rock And Roll All Night" any day of the week.

I strongly contest the idea that Kiss got back on track in 1996. Maybe in terms of commercial success, but the music suffered. I'll put "Carnival Of Souls" up against the worst of the Vinnie Vincent era, and I challenge you to tell me that "Carnival Of Souls" is better. I DARE you to tell me that.

Scott referred to Ace and Peter as "the real musicians" behind Kiss. I'll grant you that Ace Frehley is a great musician, but I have to call foul on Peter Criss. I never liked Peter Criss. I think he's the weakest drummer of the three that they've had. And on later albums of the original lineup, such as "Unmasked", it's not even clear if he is, in fact, the one playing drums. Peter Criss seems to have spent the latter part of his stay in the band in some sort of coke-induced haze, as evident by the fact that he couldn't even say his lines in Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park. He had to be dubbed over by Casey Kasem.

I went to see Kiss live in 1992 and 1997. The '92 show was better. For some reason, people got excited, because Kiss went back to the original four guys performing just a sliver of the band's overall output. Hey, I have an idea. Let's abandon nearly two decades of musical growth and go back to the crap we wrote in the 70s. That would be like if AC/DC did a concert set that consisted of stuff only up to the "Powerage" album.

Speaking of which, I have to take issue with this statement that Scott said:

"[KISS] was the AC/DC of it's day."

The absurdity of this claim is evident in that both bands came into existence around the same time. Kiss wasn't the AC'DC of it's day. AC/DC was the AC/DC of its day.

Love ya, Scott. But I had to say it.
    Dasien - Superhero Webcomic
    Read it now at http://www.dasien.com

Of all the tables on this month's Top 10 list, I played Williams' Indiana Jones the most. But I played Star Trek: The Next Generation even more.

And Anton Fig (the drummer in David Letterman's house band) was brought in to play on Kiss' Dynasty and Unmasked albums.
    When you think you are a tough avenger, switch the difficulty to A, and then try Ultimate Yars!

It was hard to see Black Hole voted out. Great pin with probably my favorite backglass. But it doesn't really convey anything black-hole, aside from the backglass. My four picks would have been Bally Centaur (it's like a heavy metal song in pin form), Williams Comet/Cyclone (I dare you to tell me they're not the same game), Atari Hercules (although I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay, it's larger than life, just like the character), and Gottlieb Knockout.

Blog Entries

The playfield toy in Knockout looks great.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

It was hard to see Black Hole voted out. Great pin with probably my favorite backglass. But it doesn't really convey anything black-hole, aside from the backglass.
    There are allot of games like that, a good example is Supersonic, it has the Concorde on the back glass and the nose drooping on the side, and presents a promising title. Then you look at the playfield and it is totally devoid of any theme and could not be more boring.

Peter Criss seems to have spent the latter part of his stay in the band in some sort of coke-induced haze,
    You should read Ace's autobiography which recently came out, he talks allot about he and Peter and their abuse of everything that could be abused. And of all the books by Kiss members it comes across as the most honest.

Speaking of which, I have to take issue with this statement that Scott said:

"[KISS] was the AC/DC of it's day."

The absurdity of this claim is evident in that both bands came into existence around the same time. Kiss wasn't the AC'DC of it's day. AC/DC was the AC/DC of its day.
    Ah, you thought I was talking about the band, I see. I was talking about the pinball of course, which was very much comparable to the AC/DC machine. The bands certainly did come about the same time, but the pins are decades apart.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Interesting Top Ten this month! I would have thought Taxi was in there, but of course there are so many great themes to choose from. I was just watching videos of myself in an arcade from 1986 and I was playing Skeeball while lots of unplayed pinball machines were in the background. I was telling myself TURN AROUND YOU DOOFUS!
    Become a fan of The Retro Machine on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...e/121452225655

See us on Video Masters TV @ www.videomasterstv.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TV's Mr. Neil View Post
    I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I agree with UK Mike.
    Then my work is done.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast