Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: It Came From Mame

GenesisDoes Guest

I have been craving some more info and opinions on Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory if you can dig that one out of your dusty arcade basement.

Hey SoCal--In case you're interested in some old shit...

I remembered that you own/owned a Super Moon Cresta. Ever play Nichibutsu's Moon Quasar? It's basically Moon Cresta, but you also have to refuel your ships with the mothership from "Close Encounters". I found that on MAME years ago, and just played it now. I loved Moon Cresta, and it was a kick to find all those variants in MAME.
    COBOL 4 LIFE

cross_bearer_02 Guest

Hey SoCal! Just getting a chance to listen to this month's podcast and wanted to say thanks for the shoutout and inclusion of Marvel Land.

Since I made my post, I have found out that there are actually two ROM sets, and it appears that the US ROM set is more of a prototype than the Japanese version. The Japanese version has a lot of bug fixes, and overall the sounds are much better as well, so if you haven't had an opportunity to try out the Japanese ROM set for the game, I'd encourage that, as the Japanese version includes not only a difficulty select (EASY or NORMAL mode), but also has almost double the amount of time on the clock so you don't have to rush through the stages and can take your time.

But that's just an aside. Thought I would drop another title for you to check out if you haven't already, and isn't quite as obscure but it's one I've rarely seen in arcades, even back in the day, but one I really enjoy. It's a NeoGeo title called Last Resort, and it came out in 1992 from SNK. If you haven't had the opportunity to play it, it's basically a rip-off of R-Type, but with some truly amazing graphics and music for the time. It's also a pretty frantic shooter, and it's very evident the game was designed to be very efficient at separating the player from his or her hard-earned quarters.

But do give the Japanese ROM set for Marvel Land a go as well. I think you'll find it's superior to the US ROM set and overall a much more polished version of the game.

Cheers!!

- Mississippi Mike

Another shmup to try out is Taito's "Tokio" or "Scramble Formation" from 1986. It gets kind of repetitive but the background music is cool and it's got some neat effects.
    COBOL 4 LIFE

Blog Entries

Thanks MissMike I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by cross_bearer_02 View Post
    Hey SoCal! Just getting a chance to listen to this month's podcast and wanted to say thanks for the shoutout and inclusion of Marvel Land.

Since I made my post, I have found out that there are actually two ROM sets, and it appears that the US ROM set is more of a prototype than the Japanese version. The Japanese version has a lot of bug fixes, and overall the sounds are much better as well, so if you haven't had an opportunity to try out the Japanese ROM set for the game, I'd encourage that, as the Japanese version includes not only a difficulty select (EASY or NORMAL mode), but also has almost double the amount of time on the clock so you don't have to rush through the stages and can take your time.

But that's just an aside. Thought I would drop another title for you to check out if you haven't already, and isn't quite as obscure but it's one I've rarely seen in arcades, even back in the day, but one I really enjoy. It's a NeoGeo title called Last Resort, and it came out in 1992 from SNK. If you haven't had the opportunity to play it, it's basically a rip-off of R-Type, but with some truly amazing graphics and music for the time. It's also a pretty frantic shooter, and it's very evident the game was designed to be very efficient at separating the player from his or her hard-earned quarters.

But do give the Japanese ROM set for Marvel Land a go as well. I think you'll find it's superior to the US ROM set and overall a much more polished version of the game.

Cheers!!

- Mississippi Mike

I would like to submit
    Attax by Leland 1990
    This is a simple board game like Othello
    You put blobs on the screen and they change the colors of the surrounding squares / blobs
    The arcade unit I played had a track ball and was a lot of fun.
    The game is very simple and hard, best is the monsters that are challenging you.
    It can also be played 2 player but best to battle the creatures.
    Great looking and awesome sound

In a similar mention I would also like to recommend a non mame game
    Yes I know it is cheating but...
    There was a remake of Cosmic invaders that the programmer use Mr Do theme and characters and sound.
    Really a great game, check it out if you like Cosmic invaders and Mr Do.
    http://www.mrdo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cosmicdo.htm
    Sorry to deviate but it really is fantastic.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910