Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mame computer suggestions on software

kynrek Guest

Default Mame computer suggestions on software

I was just given a laptop with a pentium 3 1ghz, 256mb ram and winxp any suggestion on software for making it a dedicated mame box?

Blog Entries

If it is DOS friendly, which is iffy when it comes to the sound card.... I would shoot for MAME .66 on DOS with ARCADEOS front end, runs like lightning. If there is no DOS sound card driver, check with UKMike, he has tried MAME on more windows platforms.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

kynrek Guest

Cool, I think I might shoot to run it in Xp if the laptop is fast enough processor/etc. Linux might be an option as well but I don't have an optical drive so the install could prove tricky.

Blog Entries

That spec is right on the limit of usable for anything other than DOSMAME, you might get MAME running under Windows or Linux but only with an early version and a few games that won't run at all.

Like Scott said, for DOS, sound will be your biggest hurdle and probably one you won't get around by my guess.

I would install windows 98 on it and then look at what driver it is using for sound then see if there is a comparable DOS one. If there is, just edit a couple of files and you can run DOS at boot without it launching Windows.

For DOS use DOSMAME 0.66 and ArcadeOS and for a Windows version I would use that same ROM set and MAME 0.66.

That would probably make a great machine for running DOSBox and SCUMMVM though, rather than a poor MAME.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

Great point, there are other emu setups outside of MAME that it would be great for.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

kynrek Guest

Scummvm is awesome. Hmm, I'm thinking I might go the win98 route, Do you recommend 98 or 98SE?

Either will do. There's nothing significant in 98SE that isn't addressed by patches for 98, so its really just a matter of convenience.

Its pretty much a perfect system for emulation on that OS, all the major systems have decent emus that will run well on that spec.

My vote goes to windows xp running the maximus frontend. with some alterations it doesn't even look like windows if done right.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

kynrek Guest

Dosent have a CDROM but luckily I had a 2.5" IDE -> USB adaptor. Copied all the cab files for 98se and drivers from the compaq website. Looks like it might have a mobility radeon video chip! (which makes me think it's a decent video chipset instead of an intel one) I think this thing will scream on win 98! Installing now...

kynrek Guest

Can you use the I-PAC encoder USB or PS/2
    with dos mame/arcade os?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.