Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vic-20 score!

Blog Entries

And you can play this on the Game Boy Color, too

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire73 View Post
    That's fantastic, congrats. I've been keeping my eyes open for a Vic-20 for months now. I want to play Shamus!

kynrek Guest

I actually have 2 VIC-20s now but only one of them works. The second one I picked up came with a stack of games I'll have to take a picture and post it when I get home. I haven't had time to play with it yet though.

Omega Race is a great game and the Vic had a very good version IIRC. I fired up my OR arcade cab the other day for the first time in ages and its pretty awesome, and very tough!

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonMog View Post
    The only game I have picked up for my Vic-20 is Omega Race, and I really like it. The way the score box is in the center and you zoom around in circles is really fun and different.

I am having sound problems, but I think I just need a proper cable. The rf box that came with it looks homemade. All I get is distortion noises. I am using an old magnavox tube tv as a monitor. The video is fine. Any suggestions?
    Personally, I'd ditch the RF box and buy a composite cable. The picture is ten times better than the Vic's RF output and you can have the choice of hooking the audio up to a hifi.

Vic RF boxes are pernickity beasts but the composite cable just plugs straight into the post no hassles. They're pretty cheap and common eBay and you can even use a C64 one but make sure it's not the RGB one as the Vic can't output in RGB. If I remember it's a 5 pin DIN connector you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    Omega Race is a great game and the Vic had a very good version IIRC. I fired up my OR arcade cab the other day for the first time in ages and its pretty awesome, and very tough!

The Vic version is the best IMHO. There are a few games like that. Shamus, OR and Gridrunner are just 3 that play better and faster on the Vic over the C64. The lower resolution but same clock speed is a big factor there.

I've never play OR on a real arcade machine. In fact, I've never even seen the real thing! I'm sure it's gorgeous though - gotta love those vector graphics!

Quote Originally Posted by PFL View Post
    Personally, I'd ditch the RF box and buy a composite cable. The picture is ten times better than the Vic's RF output and you can have the choice of hooking the audio up to a hifi.

Vic RF boxes are pernickity beasts but the composite cable just plugs straight into the post no hassles. They're pretty cheap and common eBay and you can even use a C64 one but make sure it's not the RGB one as the Vic can't output in RGB. If I remember it's a 5 pin DIN connector you're looking for.
    I got a new cable, and at first I got nothing. After reading posts on some other forums and deciphering their technical explanations, I finally got it to work. A 5pin to RCA (Yellow, White, Red) works, but Yellow will not always be the Video. On mine Red was Video and Yellow was audio. Now I have a clear picture and the sound is nice and clear.

Local place just got a bunch of Vic-20 stuff in and I picked up a few things:

Cassette Drive ( Now I can play more than cartridge games!)

Cassette with V-Trap, Sub Hunt, and Bounce Out

Cassette with Blue Meanies

Shamus Cart

Cosmic Cruncher Cart

Planet of Zoom Cart

The Count (Scott Adams text adventure!) on Cart

There are a few more cart games I may go back for.

Had to learn how to load programs from tape. Did not own these computers back in the day, so that was a new thing for me. The first computer we owned had windows 95 on it.

I have the arcade cab of Omega Race! Great game and a great version on the Vic too. Vic20 was my first computer so it still holds a lot of great gaming memories for me. I have mine back in the UK but have been looking for a decent priced one here for ages to no avail. I picked up the Mega Cart for it ages ago and still not had a chance to try it out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.