Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RoundUp 040 - Wink Martindale Has My Hair

I enjoyed the show this month, and interview being particularly entertaining.

Scott, what Terminator game for the Gamecube wasn’t brought to the states? Nintendo put very few restrictions on the Gamecube, so I doubt they had anything to do with it not coming out in the US. Like the Altered Beast re-make (another rare European exclusive), it was probably terrible and the publisher decided to not risk pushing out a potential failure.

About Crack’s list. I don’t read the Cracked website, but I do want to defend them on two points. The first time I heard of the Vectrex was in the late 90’s in an article on the Vectrex Emulator. A close friend of mine is a videogame and I introduced him to the Vectrex about two years ago. The Vectrex isn’t as well known or remembered as you might think.

Second, the Supergrafx actually had 7 games. The Supergrafx wasn’t the same thing as the Turbo Grafx. It was a crazy expensive, upgraded version of the PC-Engine that was designed to play perfect ports of arcade games. It flopped in Japan when it was released in 1989.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the Top 10 and can’t argue with it. While I believe early PSX games should be considered retro, the Dual Shock was designed almost entirely for Metal Gear Solid, and that’s where I personally believe the current modern era of gaming began. I’m also surprised nobody went smart ass and campaigned for “The Micro Switch” or “Convex Buttons” as their number one.

Oh Scott, I’m surprised you didn’t know Bungie (the makers of the Halo series) were making games for nearly a decade before Halo came out. The Mac was their base platform for well-known series like Marathon and Myth. They also made Oni for the PS2.

I bet you also didn’t know that Halo started at an isometric strategy game. During development they decided to zoom the action into first person.

Edit: I screwed myself. I thought the song was by America. It was by "Bread."

Also: I really didn't mean the America segment. I meant the song. Yucky poo.

ok... NO MORE SURPRISE "Bread" IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PODCAST!!

Gah! I can't get that damn song out of my head now.

Here's my attempt to rid myself of it by rewriting the lyrics...

You told me not to fart/
    not to fart/
    not to far-ar-ar-art/
    you said I'd probably shart/
    prolly shart/
    prolly shar-ar-ar-art/
    the finest advice it came from you/
    it helped me avoid a certain poo/
    and I would give everything I own/
    give up my life, my heart, my home/
    I would give everything I own/
    just to hear you talk 'bout poo

I'm here all week.
    Last edited by tcv; 26-10-11 at 03:20.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrickGreathouse View Post
    the Dual Shock was designed almost entirely for Metal Gear Solid
    Not for any of the significant number of games that were released between the Dual Analogue launch in '97 and MGS in '98?

Ape Escape was the first Dual Shock only game (with no alternate control scheme for digital pads), but other earlier games also supported it (e.g. Porsche Challenge).

Blog Entries

I remember the launch of Ape Escape as analog only, and remember at the time thinking "What a mistake."
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

By the way, I want to quickly say that I really enjoy the editing on the podcast. I think it's top notch, especially the musical bumpers.

What is the music right before Born In The USA?

Blog Entries

Scott, what Terminator game for the Gamecube wasn’t brought to the states? Nintendo put very few restrictions on the Gamecube, so I doubt they had anything to do with it not coming out in the US. Like the Altered Beast re-make (another rare European exclusive), it was probably terrible and the publisher decided to not risk pushing out a potential failure.
    The EU version that I played on a German PS showed a bit more ass so I am not sure if this PS2 trailer is more that or this, but the clip is pretty close to the GameCube EU version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-AHxPj9_w

If you are not a Terminator fan you will miss allot, if you are you will love seeing an animation of the Skynet time displacement equipment.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tcv View Post
    By the way, I want to quickly say that I really enjoy the editing on the podcast. I think it's top notch, especially the musical bumpers.
    Thanks, it's a lot of effort but worth it if it's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tcv View Post
    What is the music right before Born In The USA?
    I think you mean the Thames TV ident.

In my youth we only had 3 TV Channels that all went off during the night. We only had BBC1, BBC2 and ITV. ITV was the only one that had commercials and was an independent station that broadcast shows from regional and independent companies like Thames TV, and most of my favourite shows were made by Thames so it always signalled it was time to sit in front of the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuN5QiUk00E

The evenings TV would always end with the playing of the National Anthem, and the older generation would stand for it. Yes, in front of the TV.

Some would even watch after it went off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKbj5jENbc
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

All Your Base Guest

I was moved to laughter by an act of supreme unintended irony by SoCal in this podcast.

At one point Scott referred to a gaming system as being "Retarded".

Straight away, recognising that this was arguably politically incorrect, SoCal jumped in with something like "No offence meant to you if you are retarded"

I love the fact that the possibility of offence caused by calling something inanimate "retarded" was headed off by directly referring to the people who could possibly be offended as "retarded".

Gotta love it!

Blog Entries

Yeah "No offence to retarded people"
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook