Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RoundUp 040 - Wink Martindale Has My Hair

Blog Entries

Fuck us, Geoff was the talent in that interview.

It is always funny talking to someone of that generation. You never know if they are squeaky clean or a regular Don Rickles. And you never know what modern references they are up on or could bury you with. We really enjoyed talking to Geoff and are pleased to pass it along to you.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Geoff Edwards was amazing. What a neat interview. One of my favorite video game memories in being on vacation with my parents. We were back at the hotel room so they could rest and my brother an I were bored. We found a rerun on Starcade on. Bliss!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by random_dave View Post
    Wondering about your skewed Sheffield listening figures, now it could be that there's still a lot of Just Micros/Gremlin Graphics folks/fans that listen to the show, or perhaps it's more of the fine folk at Sumo (although if they are noones mentioned that they've heard me submit the odd bit of news)
    That could be a factor, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by random_dave View Post
    my phone automatically checks for new podcasts every 8 hours and whilst on my house wifi, often, especially with long podcasts that take a while to download I leave the house, and cut off the wifi. This means it has to do it again later, I reckon i could easily rack up a few extra hits a month like that! ;-)
    I would presume that for everyone in Sheffield that does that, there is somebody, if not two people, in London that do it too.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

random_dave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    I would presume that for everyone in Sheffield that does that, there is somebody, if not two people, in London that do it too.
    I was assuming they'd have bankers wage speedy phones and super speed city southern broadband and would suffer far less of my mining-class network dropouts, but i see how your reasoning is sensible

It was nice to hear about the pedal controller in the top 10, something I don't think I knew existed until around 2004. Interestingly, that controller received something of a minor revival (in a niche within a niche) when AtariAge started to carry it for use with homebrew games like Thrust+: http://atariage.com/store/index.php?...ct_detail&p=37 (sadly, it looks like they no longer carry the pedal controller). I reviewed Thrust+ Platinum edition circa 2004 and discussed its use with the foot pedals: http://www.armchairarcade.com/aamain...php?article.41 .

Blog Entries

I imagine it would work pretty well with a game like that, or 1985 on the C64.

It was a really well built thing too.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I was wondering if anyone has played the game Revs on the C64 with an analogue controller. It has some very smooth scrolling through a 3D cockpit display which was quite impressive at the time, but is the only game I can think of offhand that really cries out for one. Using the standard digital joystick is a frustrating process of slowly moving the steering through its range of possible motion. Has anyone found a way to to use this game properly on an emulator, either with a mouse or an analogue stick on the PC?

I was a little surprised to hear the Quickshot 2 being described as an accurate microswitched device. The original models all used leaf switches that snapped very quickly due to their design. Microswitches didn't arrive until the Quickshot 2 Turbo (the one with the red base). This made the old floppy stick much more useful as the travel wasn't so vague. Not a great all rounder for me but it did see use with flight sims where it seemed more appropriate (and left a hand free for keyboard controls). I'd have thrown the Comp Pro (microswitched, naturally) into the 2600's slot though

Do we get a follow up 'worst controller' slot?

Blog Entries

That just jogged my memory on a stick that I forgot about. I had one for a flight sim, it was black and red, and had a big dial to adjust tension. It could range anywhere from impossible to move to floppy, I can't recall the brand or model.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Great show guys, especially the Geoff Edwards interview. He NEEDS to be at CGE next year. I want to take part in a new Starcade!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast