• Dreamcast (Factory, 1998)

2 5.56%
  • Vectrex (Factory)

3 8.33%
  • Quickshot 2 (3rd Party)

3 8.33%
  • Atari 2600 (Factory)

11 30.56%
  • Game & Watch D-Pad (Donkey Kong & others)

0 0%
  • Colecovision (Factory)

0 0%
  • Quickjoy Foot Pedal (3rd Party)

0 0%
  • Competition Pro (3rd Party)

1 2.78%
  • Gamecube (Factory, 2001)

2 5.56%
  • X-Arcade

0 0%
  • NES (Factory)

7 19.44%
  • Sony Dual Shock (Factory, 1997)

7 19.44%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/11 Top-10 Retro Controllers

the classic atari cx40 - accept no substitute

sucks the rev2 saturn pad didnt make it, and a hearty thank you for not putting the horrendously overrated snes pad on the list

Blog Entries

Can you post a picture of the quickshot 2. I think I know what it is, but I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing

<Edit >
    This?
    http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/016462
    Last edited by wongojack; 14-10-11 at 02:19.

Voted for the NES pad, but I really prefer the Famicom's. I agree on the Saturn pad, I love that one the most. How did you guys miss that one?

I have the X-Arcade and it is awesome, but I don't think of it as retro.
    Last edited by Duke.Togo; 14-10-11 at 02:12.

Blog Entries

I went with the nes controller but I actually prefer the snes controller. I like the Snes controller because it's curved to fit in your hand without the sharp corners that tend to remove skin. I hope the Snes controller gets mentioned in this month's top ten. It should be in the top five.

My favorite retro controller is the WICO Bat Handle Command Control joystick - but it is not on the list. So I will go with the Atari 2600 controller.
    When you think you are a tough avenger, switch the difficulty to A, and then try Ultimate Yars!

Quote Originally Posted by Chewchilla View Post
    My favorite retro controller is the WICO Bat Handle Command Control joystick - but it is not on the list. So I will go with the Atari 2600 controller.
    That was a bad ass controller back in the day...

I went with the Atari 2600 factory. It's the one I teethed on and the one I wish we could get back to.

It's not my favorite, though. My favorite is not on the list. Indeed, I think my favorite may just be everyone else's worst. It's the Epyx 500xj.

2600 controller. Great motion, super durable, and relatively comfortable. If it were up to me, I'd put the Epyx 500XJ at #1. The stock NES controller is definitely a classic and it's solid, but I like the NES Advantage way better (and the SNES controller for that matter - great button placement and size, and a bigger better d-pad that's still really tight).

Gamecube is a great controller, but I wouldn't call it retro.

Colecovision? Wow, that's second only to the 7800 PainLines as far as awful, hand-cramping controllers go. One of my very least favorite. The 5200 and Intellivision stock controllers blow it away. The only reason I ever spent any time with the Colecovision is because I picked up some of the Super Action joysticks, which are great and make the console usable and fun.

I was never a big fan of the Dual Shock series because my thumbs always slip off the analog sticks - the shape and material aren't very good imho. I like the Xbox concave/rubber sticks 1000x better.

As much as I love the DC as a console, its controller has one of the worst, floatiest, make-me-want-to-break-the-controller-trying-to-play-Capcom-vs-SNK dpads ever. It gets props for a lot of things like the VMU and other plug-ins, but man that dpad is terrible.

My personal top 4:

1) Epyx 500XJ
    2) NES Advantage
    3) Stock 2600 Stick
    4) Stock SNES Pad
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Quote Originally Posted by tcv View Post
    It's not my favorite, though. My favorite is not on the list. Indeed, I think my favorite may just be everyone else's worst. It's the Epyx 500xj.
    Read your post after I wrote mine up. Cheers for the 500XJ - super comfortable and I love the tight 'click' of the stick. It was always really accurate. The only downside is that it doesn't seem to be super durable, I have a bunch of broken ones and haven't seen a working one in ages.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wongojack View Post
    Can you post a picture of the quickshot 2.
    The one you found is not the exact same one but is very close and the same idea with the contoured stick and 2 top buttons. It had autofire too.

Quote Originally Posted by tcv View Post
    I always wanted to try this one but never saw anyone who had one. They were in the shops but I didn't get one myself.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast