Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some of my Dads Scalextric vehicles

Default Some of my Dads Scalextric vehicles

One of my dads hobbies since retiring is Scalextric, he currently has a track built using pieces of Scalextric track, but he is now in the process of routering a track custom to what he wants.
    Photos below are of him building his original track also of his collection of cars, sidecars, motorbikes, horses, trotters and some other novelties vehicles (Notice Mario cart and DK cart at front - thats the link to RGR ) Thought some fellow RGR's would appreciate this.

Blog Entries

That is awesome. If i didnt have a room full of arcades and video games, i would want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    One of my dads hobbies since retiring is Scalextric...
    Wow, SWEET!

When my son turns about... oh I don't know... 4, maybe... I'll bust out my Tyco/AFX slot car stuff and amaze him. I have what's probably the equivalent of 8 individual track sets and about 20+ cars. I can make tracks that take up entire rooms. My wife will love that, ha! I haven't set it up since some time in the early nineties, but it should all still work, as it's been safely stored away, along with all the other toys I held onto from back then.

Good times...

Blog Entries

A very nice looking collection, I wish I had the time to get into Scalextric.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Mate that looks like FUN.

Blog Entries

I had an awesome amount of Scalextric kit but my dad gave it all away when I got my own place. I went back for it a couple of weeks later and it was gone.

There are other reasons I didn't speak to him for the last 21 years of his life, but maybe this was part of it.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

The track was originally my sons, but we didnt have room to set it up permanently so we had to set it up each time he wanted to use it, then pack it all away when finished. So as you can imagine he got sick of doing this and stopped playing it. I mentioned this to my dad and he offered to build it in his garage (its a 4 car garage + workshop, only has 1 car and a camper in it) as he had plenty of room.
    Well that was the start of it, he tells Mum he does it for the grand kids but we all know better.
    As you can see by his collection it is not small - he is trying to collect all the old Australian race cars (They are the ones on the top row at the back) He also now custom builds and paints them. Also has got one off a bloke in USA who "Tunes" them and has the current fastest Scalextric. But remember this is for the Grand kids lol.

With the discussion of Scalextric in this months top 10, I thought I would post an update of my dad's track. This is the third remake since this original post. He did build a timber routed track, like the ones you visit at slot car tracks, but had it set up as a copper track because he couldn't source braided track due to world wide shortage in it. The latest has gone back to Scalextric plastic track, but has put copper strips on the track so he doesn't need to clean it and it keeps the power more constant over the joints. The pit garages you can see is removable so the kids can watch their cars the whole track. It is brilliant and the kids love it. Enjoy

image.jpg

focusrs Guest

I had the recent version with the digital cars and the blocking car pretty cool set with the working pit lane and some neat track assecories.

random_dave Guest

that is cool, i amassed loads of cool scalextric stuff cos I had a catalogue with about 20 layouts of world circuits in it I'd put lists of what pieces i'd need to make a real world track each year and get the bits for my birthday, then after racing say, brands hatch for an afternoon i'd clear a room or the loft and try and make something with all of it, something that was greatly enhanced once i busted out the technic lego and made supports that would allow me to have 4 layer overpasses

Then I was fortunate enough to be able to start a real racing career and had to sell it all to buy tyres, sometimes i regret it, but then i rememeber that i really wouldn't have had the space to do it justice after moving out of my parents house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast