Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchased: X Arcade Tankstick. Thoughts?

Default Purchased: X Arcade Tankstick. Thoughts?

Last year I ordered one of these but cancelled after a few days when they told me it was on back order. Well, I decided to try again and it has shipped yet I'm interested to hear from anyone that has one of these --particularly from anyone who can compare it to the Hotrod SE which I have back in garrison.

I figure I'm stuck here in Afghanistan for another 7 months or so and me and a few other guys are huge fans of Shmups (which RetroShaun would lose at :P) so what the hell right?

One of the concerns I have is that I saw a brief clip that complained about the sticks themselves being rather cheap...

Anyway, it'll be fun to play all the trackball games properly now!

As an aside, on their website they sell an iPac adapter for the Hotrod and given the lack of USB or configuration ability it seems this might be quite the find? Anyone try this?
    Last edited by Turbo2Xs; 21-09-11 at 08:49. Reason: Merged

Blog Entries

I would say cheap is a comparative thing. Cheap compared to honest commercial quality arcade controls, sure. But they are still very usable. You could replace the actual controls with commercial quality stuff if you wanted to.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Which I might do if I can get some Perfect 360 Opticals to work (and maybe a spinner and 4 way stick if there is enough room). The one on it now looks exactly like the ones on the Hotrod SE which are fine (if a little light and loose) but I don't know if they're the same.

I've got one of these, two player model but no trackball. Its a decent stick for sure, and great if you want an easy way to hook up arcade controls to a console. Although I would also say if you use a PC you are better off building your own.

Blog Entries

Hey Turbo, I was just watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (ever seen it?) and it totally reminded me of that crazy bastard we saw in the old truck, remember that? I will have to tell this one on the air in our next news.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Blog Entries

You could always replace the joysticks with the Happ competition joysticks like the Classic Game Room guy did. The video explains pretty well the problems with the joysticks on the X Arcade Tank Stick.

I can't wait to hear your story Scott. I love fear and loathing in Las Vegas. I also like the writing of Hunter S. Thompson and can't wait for the Rum Diary movie also starring Johnny Depp to come out. Johnny Depp should quit his day job and just pretend to be Hunter for the rest of his life. I still think that "Fear and Retro Gaming" would have made a great title for the EGC podcast.

I have a PS3 but only because I essentially got it free with a 46" Bravia and I can't say I have much interest in attaching any arcade controls to it. Strictly for my 'Trash 'Cade'.

What I'm worried about is that the sticks are going to be really loose. $200 isn't a lot so I'm still curious as to the build quality. Guess I'll just have to wait to see (video is taking forever to buffer here...)

I may indeed end up going the Perfect 360+ spinner+ 4 way stick. Seems like it will be big enough.

And Scott, dude, YOU GOTTA tell that story. I mentioned it briefly in the EGC thread. LMFAO.

Blog Entries

The sticks are OK in terms of play, they are just not designed for a 12 year old to hang from them as they kick the cab. Where did you mention the crazy dude, I didn't see it in that thread, what a great moment!

Follow us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    The sticks are OK in terms of play, they are just not designed for a 12 year old to hang from them as they kick the cab.
    Would you say that they are comparable to the HotRod SE [assuming you've used one]?

Where did you mention the crazy dude, I didn't see it in that thread, what a great moment!
    Oops, not the EGC thread, it was here.

Blog Entries

I must be as blind as can be, I didn't see it there.

Follow us on Facebook!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast