Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro/Classic Gaming Films, Documentaries, Videos?

Question Retro/Classic Gaming Films, Documentaries, Videos?

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but despite my rather large interest in retro-gaming, I'm afraid I haven't seen that many films, TV shows, videos or documentaries about or related to classic video games (consoles, computers, arcade) and pinball.

I know there are a lot of them out there, but for whatever reason, I seem to be one of those guys that just didn't get around to seeing many, although I'd really like to. These could be from "back in the day", or current things taking a look back at that time. Fiction or fact, humorous or serious, documentary or game show, professional or amateur, anything goes.

Yes, I have seen "King Of Kong", and of course I've seen a ton of stuff on YouTube (but we all know how disorganized that can be, and the content is usually just bits and pieces of interviews and such). And I know I watched a few shows as a kid, like Starcade and Whiz Kids... but I'm hoping the vast pool of knowledgeable forum members here will be able to run with this, and tell me what I've been missing.

So... I'd like to get a list going of what's out there; be it on DVD, VHS, Netflix, downloadable, whatever.

Most importantly, ASSUME I KNOW NOTHING.

Even if you're thinking "oh he HAS TO have seen x y z". that's probably not the case. More than likely I've heard of a great many of them that will be brought up, but I know I've missed out on a lot of great stuff over the years.

It would be helpful if you can provide sources of the ones you list. Can I buy it, download it, stream it, or is it simply unavailable?

Also, feel free to include movies that may not exactly be ABOUT video games or pinball, but where those things are prominently featured, such as "War Games" or "TRON".

Maybe this topic could be discussed in a future RoundUp if there's enough interest? Hopefully we can eventually put together the definitive list.

Thanks guys!

some for the list
    Check out my video gaming blog http://www.zxspectrum16k.co.uk

sorry another youtube, but maybe okay
    Check out my video gaming blog http://www.zxspectrum16k.co.uk

Awesome start, thanks for your contributions!

And YouTube stuff is just fine. Anything goes. I may have watched a lot of things there, but I'm sure I've missed twice as many.

Keep 'em coming. I'm planning to categorize and make the list/webpage myself once it starts to grow. I'll either post it on one of my websites, or do something on RGR if the guys are interested.

Wikipedia is a useful resource, although a lot of it strays from the "retro/classic" category. I'm trying to narrow it down further than this, plus this doesn't really take into account a lot of smaller efforts (or even some of the larger ones, like the aforementioned "Icons", which I did used to watch on G4 a few years back). But it's worth a look nonetheless:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...on_video_games

I realize I'm responding to my own request here, but just came across this useful list on Digital Press' forums:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153123

Blog Entries

This one is fairly unknown but more in-depth than thumb candy: Game On, The Unauthorized History of Video Games. There is a nice little discussion with Ralph Baer about the Magnavox Odyssey. Also a nice little bit where they show how Bushnell ripped pong off from Ralph.
    Last edited by indieseoul; 21-08-11 at 03:11.

I still need to dig out some stuff to send you on DVD as promised at EGC so I can add a few docs/movies/shows on there too if you want... I have quite a nice library

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    I still need to dig out some stuff to send you on DVD as promised at EGC so I can add a few docs/movies/shows on there too if you want... I have quite a nice library
    Sure, if it's not too much of an inconvenience to add them, that would be great!

ONCE UPON ATARI!

www.onceuponatari.com

Get Lamp is worth watching, too: www.getlamp.com
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast