Thread: Aliens: Infestation

Default Aliens: Infestation

Anyone else been watching this game? Retro style 2d game based on the awesome 80s sci-fi/horror films. It's set to come out in October from Wayforward the studio behind Shantae and Contra 4. It's a 2D Contra/Metroid style platforming shooter. You are a team or marines sent to check on the ship Ripley and them got dropped off by in Aliens. You visit locations from the movies. Looks really cool.

Here are some links:
    http://www.sega.com/games/aliens-infestation/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/21/fi...-bursts-forth/

Anyone ever get this game? I am curious to know your thoughts on it.

Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.

Mark Twain
    3ds friend code: 0817-3821-6504
    Mario Kart racer community: 65-1417-7306-7334
    PSN Name: tomtom2play

I was real excited for the game and I bought it recently, but it's still in the wrap. Maybe I will pop it in today. The reviews I read seemed pretty positive.

Cool, I look forward to your thoughts.

Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.

Mark Twain
    3ds friend code: 0817-3821-6504
    Mario Kart racer community: 65-1417-7306-7334
    PSN Name: tomtom2play

Gave it a try today. It is really good. Best Aliens game I have played. Nice 2d graphics. Controls like a Metroid game. The game does seem like it will be a challenge. Does a good job of portraying a felling of dread and horror for a 2d game. I actually jumped at one sudden scare. You have multiple squad members with different personalities to choose from. Their deaths are permanent unless you reset and start from your last save point, which is one of the ways the game puts you on edge. Story ties into the movies nicely as far as I can tell. The only major flaw I have run into is some weird scrolling respawns were enemies pop back to life if you move ahead then back real quick or at least that seems to be what is happening. If you are a big Aliens, Metroid, and\or Sci-Fi Horror fan I think you really should get it, or if you miss the 2d walking shooters like you found on the SNES and Genisis back in the day you should give it a try.

This is a big year for Alien fans. We got Prometheus coming out in theaters this summer, which is looking good. I am excited about it. It doesn't look like a cheap cash in at least (it does not even have Alien in the title!). Also, Aliens: Colonial Marines is scheduled for the Fall, but I think it was scheduled for last Fall around the time Infestation came out and it was postponed. I am sure there will be other Alien merchandise and tie in media planned. Infestation is probably a good way to get hyped up and excited for what's to come.

I too was pretty excited hearing about this and even heard that it might be canceled so, when I saw it in the store, I grabbed it right up.

First impressions were not great as the game did not contain a manual --They want you to download it...wtf? Way to give the paying customer their due.

The game itself is... ok. While competent, some of the games structure is questionable.

Things like:

*Being lots of Marines to find but who won't join you unless you've already lost one or more of your 3 man squad.
    *Enemies that appear on the screen who insta-hit you. Especially in the vehicle section.
    *Building the game based on small connected areas that reset all enemies every time you leave. Which you can do a lot of.
    *No logs, messages or other type of lore or adventurish/rpg elements. Just find lots of key cards/explosives.
    *Underwhelming graphics as well as weird background elements like graphic loops people shooting aliens that you cannot interact with nor make any sense.

Without the Aliens licenses, this would probably be a decent budge release and though there are a few hours of fun to be had it's merely average.

Sorry to say, another wasted Alien game...
    Last edited by Turbo2Xs; 18-03-12 at 08:34.