Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What XBOX should i buy if i intend to create a media centre?

Darkwood.killers Guest

Default What XBOX should i buy if i intend to create a media centre?

I have been listening to the RGR podcast and like the sound of being able to Emulate different consoles on the XBOX. I own more retro games on multi formats than i can count and as nice as it is to boot up my old systems it would be convinenant to open up the XBOX and play games like Super Mario Bros and Xevious.

Can this be done and how would i do it?

Blog Entries

You don't have to open it up or have any specific one, you can just softmod it. UKMike could probably tell how to do it better than I could, it's been a few years since I've done it.

I remember transferring a special save file to a memory card, loading it up into Mechassault (I'm pretty sure that's the game) and using a specific DVD to load everything up that can be found on torrent sites a dime a dozen. That's about the extent of the detail I can actually get into though, and that's just one of the ways. They're all equally as easy though. If UK can't help (or someone else for that matter), then just hit up Youtube for videos on how to softmod one.

The internal hard drive in those things is kinda/sorta small (either 8 or 10 gigs) but then again it's more than enough for emulation. But on the same note, they're easily upgradable ... working on the inside of that thing is identical to working on a computer since that's all it really is assuming you're familiar with that. And you'd need to find component cables depending on what kind of TV you have.

The 360 has multimedia capabilities, as well as Netflix and Hulu Plus. But you need the paid 360 Gold membership to use that stuff.

The PS3 has all the same capabilities (probably even more) as well as a web browser that will easily handle Youtube. And you don't have to pay per month to use things like Netflix, Hulu and Vudu (dunno if I'm spelling that right). And the hard drive is more upgradeable being that you can just buy a 2.5" SATA hard drive, stick it in there and go.
    Last edited by Dhalamar; 31-05-11 at 08:43.
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Darkwood.killers Guest

Default Thankyou

This should be enough to keep me going, we have a pawn shop nearby thats loaded with consoles and due to the majority of our community theres not much call for games consoles (at least where i live in any case) so im looking forward to getting started.

im very greatfull for your advice, thankyou

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwood.killers View Post
    This should be enough to keep me going, we have a pawn shop nearby thats loaded with consoles and due to the majority of our community theres not much call for games consoles (at least where i live in any case) so im looking forward to getting started.

im very greatfull for your advice, thankyou
    Pretty much I'd say if you've got an older SDTV or EDTV the original Xbox, find some component cables, mod it and upgrade the hard drive (just uses a regular old IDE hard drive).

HDTV, if you have a computer with HDMI that's the best and personally what I use the majority of the time. Second is the PS3, third is the 360 because it's a bit more expensive in the long run since it requires Xbox Live Gold at 60 bucks a year (outside of Black Friday sales where those 1 year cards can go as low as 30 or 40 bucks) to do anything worthwhile like Hulu, Netflix and Last.fm.
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Blog Entries

One note. The xbox controller has a notoriously bad dpad so there are also control issues on some games. If you are a street fighter or platformer fan it's best to mod your xbox to support usb gamepads.(hard mod)

The psp is a much nicer system for emulating on the go. I prefer the PS3 for emulation these days when at home and the psp for on the go. You can get by with the xbox dpad but it won't be the same as using an old style controller or a ps3/ps2 controller.

I was just using my xbox 360 game controller on my psp thanks to the update on the remote joy lite plugin today and realized that it is in fact the worst dpad on a controller I have ever used. I couldn't even move mario around the map on smb3! Worse perhaps then the original xbox controller. Even knock off ps2 style pc gamepads put it to shame. The fact is microsoft made their
    controllers for fps games not the old style games that need a decent dpad.

The original xbox is cheap and easy to come by like Dalahmar said so go for it if that is your cup of tea. Real component cables are harder and harder to come by for the original xbox. There are tons of knock off ones but I've heard the quality is terrible

Check out my Ps3 is an emulating powerhouse thread for details on the ps3. All psp's are currently hackable with a simple file you put on the memory stick so it couldn't be easier. This week they just released a hack for the latest of latest firmwares on the psp.

Enjoy your emulation experience!!

Darkwood.killers Guest

Default Thnkyou for the advice

i would prefer not to play any games with the XBOX controller to be honest and i was attempting to get a psp with the intention of emulating games however i bought a PSP 3000 and find no info on how to adapt them to play emulators? should i buy an older PSP and if so which would be best. at the moment the best i get is the sega megadrive collection and as much as i love Sega Megadrive collection id like to play different titles.

i do worship my playstation three and outside of Fallout games i only play Arcade titles from the PSN so it would be usefull to adapt my PS3 and i found your write up very interesting however i think i would be manicly depressed if PS nuked my console.

once again im very thankfull for your/everyones time and advice.

Blog Entries

You can buy a brand new psp and use it for emulators very easily. Here are a few links to websites with the info you need.

First signed homebrew and emulators. It doesn't matter what firmware you have these work on official firmware. Just put these in your game folder and add some rom files. No hacking required for these bad boys:
    http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1879

Now you can hack your psp's latest official firmware. This is for the latest firmware that came out last week. As of writing this post it is the last one released by Sony. If you buy a new psp in the next three months assume it will come with this one or an earlier one.
    This is an easy hack. All you have to do is put some folders in your game folder and initiate the program. No hacking skills required and it will allow you to play backed up psp games and any homebrew or emulators that require kernal mode. Also unsigned homebrew.

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2011/05/29/...o-b6-released/

It's all easy to do it yourself. All you need is the skill to follow directions. Hope the info helps.

Darkwood.killers Guest

Hi all, just thought i would update everyone as its nice to see progress, recently i was talking with a family member whom reccomended an Original Xbox with software for playing Emulators. the good news is he had done all the hard work and i only had to pay a little fee for the console and a controller. so thankyou to everyone for putting me in the right direction. also thanks to Indieseoul i now also have a PSP that can work the Genesis/Megadrive so im as happy as can be. Once again thankyou for your advice.

On a side note, i now want to progress my Original Xbox To having a new drive and bigger harddrive to carry films and such. if anyones interested in offering up some advice id be more than happy to learn a few new things.

Thankyou once again.

Blog Entries

Dhalamar can you point this gentleman in the right direction? You are the original xbox expert here. I bought mine prechipped with a large Hdd already installed from a game shop here in Korea. I found an old tutorial which I sent via pm to you its probably outdated maybe you can do a search on google and find a better one. Happy Hacking!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwood.killers View Post
    On a side note, i now want to progress my Original Xbox To having a new drive and bigger harddrive to carry films and such. if anyones interested in offering up some advice id be more than happy to learn a few new things.
    If you are fitting a new drive you have to go from a softmod to a hardware mod with modchip.

Not sure what your soldering skills are but it may be easier to find some kind soul to do it for you.

You don't necessarily need to upgrade the drive to store films as it will stream over a network so you could keep the films elsewhere on your home network.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.