Thread: good solutions for Atari-style paddles on PC?

Default good solutions for Atari-style paddles on PC?

I've been searching around a bit this morning, looking for a way to connect real paddle controllers to a PC for use in Atari system emulators (2600 primarily). I'd be thrilled to find either a set of reproduction paddles that connect via USB or some kind of adapter to allow me to connect real Atari 2600 paddles to a USB port.

I've found two basic styles of solution: (1) simulating a paddle via one axis of a mouse, and (2) sending a real paddle-like signal via one axis of an analog joystick. I think the second is the better solution, of course. Paddles are potentiometers, spinners are more like a one-axis mouse.

I found the stelladapter, which seems to be just about exactly what I want, but $40 seems a bit steep (I did something similar on my arcade cab by hacking a dual strike controller for a good bit cheaper). Has anyone tried the stelladapter and would recommend it?

Are there other solutions?

Blog Entries

Im less experienced than you at actually completing the hack projects, but from what I've been able to dig up there are very few options for USB spinners and paddles. You either need to use the real thing or just build your own.

I started a thread a while back where I discussed some driving controllers that I tested as paddles in Windows. I haven't started many threads so you should be able to dig that up easily if you are interested in something like that.

I will say that I had considered trying to 'hack' the mega racer, but there are just a lot of things that come before that idea (time wise)

Yeah, at this point I'm planning on attempting another dual strike hack approach. Shouldn't be too hard to put connections in a little box with a DB9 connector on it.

If I start that project, I'll at least take some pics and put together a howto.