Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best emulation for various consoles

Blog Entries

I understand why you might think that it is pointless to use the Ps3 as emulation machine but I disagree. It all depends on if you are an online gamer or not. Well with the PSN down Nobody with a ps3 is an online gamer LOL. I tried online gaming and didn't enjoy it very much so for me using the ps3 as an all in one emulation/game/ media player is perfect for my uses. I can still play the current games for their story mode which means I don't buy games like Call of Duty and the Ilk that don't have good story modes. Also since I don't have a component cable for my original xbox and I've played most of the games for it I don't enjoy the emulation on it. The Dpad on the original xbox is poor and I like just using my ps3 controller to play my favorite nes, snes, and genesis games. The emulators work very well and it's easy to put roms on unlike the original xbox where you have to FTP everything using a modem or a special cable. Recently I've been trying to use emulators on the ps2 but they seem to have many problems that PS3 emulation doesn't have.

To RickRynolds: Emulation is great but also having the original consoles will always be the better experience. However with new emulators out for the PC and PS3 you can now use HD shaders which now make older games look better on newer TVs. This is nice if all you have are HDTVs. If you get an original Xbox make sure you get a set of component cables. I wish I could find some decent ones in my area but they are not available in Korea and apparently the original xbox ones are rare in general. Good luck and happy emulation!

I run an XBox, a PSP and a Caanoo. The Caanoo has become my preference for handheld emulation. The XBox I picked up pre-modded and filled with emulators off CraigsList. I think it was about $80 from a guy that does them. I picked up a used Pelican Universal Wireless Arcade Stick from Amazon, which works very nicely.

For me, the XBox and wireless arcade controller is a great solution for the couch/lounge.

All the emulators are developed to their maximum already, and if you want to update it's as easy as burning a CD and using the file management tool inside XBMC to put files where you want. You do not need to FTP anything, no cables, nothing. Couldn't be easier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickreynolds View Post
    Thanks for all the posts! Lots to catch up on. I stepped away for the weekend a bit and found lots of great info when I got back!

I'm impressed with how much people like their xbox and ps3 emulation experience. It really isn't something I would have considered much.

As for the MAME cab idea, I'm proud to say that I have actually built one! It is pretty fun and I highly recommend it for arcade games. (http://www.rickandviv.net/index.php/the-frinkiac-7/ for the overly curious).

Thanks again for the input. Lots of reading/research to go do...

Awesome Cab! Very nice touches where you can remove the sides and have easy to change control panels. I'm jealous.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

I like to do as much as I can with handhelds, mainly because I tend to live in very small studio flats with very limited room and move house often.

On the DS the GBC emulator Lameboy is probably the one that has had the most use. It's nice, though admittedly not quite as nice as GoBoy on the vastly underrated Nokia N-Gage. There is a Master System/Game Gear emulator that works well and an Apple II emulator that I honestly haven't had much time with yet.

The very best emulation experience that I've had on the DS is definitely the Spectrum emulator ZXDS. It's run everything I've tried on it beautfully, including Russian demos that use undocumented hardware tweaks. The 256x192 resolution of the DS screen is exactly the same as the Spectrum, so everything looks sharp and brilliant. It blends frames perfectly for various colour tricks. The auto-loader is a dream. Get this. I had a C64 and I am still telling you to get this.

Speaking of the C64, that's available on the PSP, sort of. I've found that it really only works well with single-load games as the emulation stutters severely during disk access. The lack of a keyboard also can be problematic. If you choose your games carefully it can work.

On the PSP, my favourite has to be the Mega Drive emulator with Mega CD support. Picodrive,I believe. It's a pity that it can't manage the 32x, but having my Mega CD games in my hand is a joy to behold. There's also a rather nice Atari Lynx emulator.

However, for my C64 on the go I use my Nokia N900 mobile running Maemo. It does a perfect C64, plus handles Amiga 500 and Atari ST emulation beautifully. SCUMMvm is quite nice on it as well, without the need to scroll the screen that is needed on the DS. I doubt that many of you have an N900, but if you get the chance to pick one up cheaply in the future do not pass it up.

Also get an N-Gage. They're ace. You can even use the N-Gage QD to make phone calls without looking like a complete twat with a phone endwise against the side of your face. They fixed that.

Blog Entries

I want to get an N-Gage but I've never seen one cheap enough.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123