Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C64 modern re-launch

Blog Entries

I have to say it has my retro spirit revived. However I won't buy one unless I can connect an old cassette deck to it and write my own programs the old fashioned way with basic. That's what really gets my nostalgia going. Spending all day copying code from a magazine only to have the program not work because you made a typo. If they didn't put a nice synth chip in there it would be disappointing to say the least. Might as well get a real commodore 64 off of game gavel or that other auction site.

It looks like in addition to the c64 remake they are also doing some amiga pc's in the same vein (though not in the desktop cases of the 500 / 1200). I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these, but I can't justify the price at the moment.

Looks like they will be releasing CommodoreOS in the future as well, this is probably a custom version of a linux distro.

Blog Entries

Looks like they are selling the case alone for 250 bucks. It might be worth it if it is easy to install your own motherboard, hard drive, dvd rom etc. Look at the bare bones model: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Builds thread from the C64 forum: http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/fo...nes-c64-builds
    Last edited by indieseoul; 03-08-11 at 06:10.

I'm not sure about this. I like the look of it and I like the idea, but it appears to be missing a couple of components that could be vital. The keyboard is a sort of hybrid between the Commodore and a PC keyboard, which is understandable given its dual purpose, but it could have been so much better had they printed the PETSCII graphics on the keys. The other point that could have made it truly worthwhile would be a physical SID chip inside. Software emulation of the SID is quite good, but as it is an analogue synthesizer isn't quite perfect. Vice (which is almost certainly what they are using in this) already supports the actual chip. It's a shame to not include one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12