• Wave Race 64

2 9.09%
  • Star Fox 64

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 02/11 Top-10 Nintendo N64 Games

Blog Entries

Default 02/11 Top-10 Nintendo N64 Games

Well, our 2nd Anniversary show is now out which means another hot debate. This month we debate our Top-1o N64 Games OF ALL TIME!

Let the disagreeing begin Oh, and you will be surprised which pick didn't make it into our Top-10!

Lots of great titles there, but Paper Mario takes the cake for me. One of the most fun and creative RPGs I've ever played. Fantastic writing, great art direction, wonderful control and battle mechanics. Just a great game all around, and one of my favorites of that generation. I think it was the last game I bought for the n64 as well.

I'd have to vote out two games I never played and didn't see the appeal of: Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie. They both just seemed like "me too" generic platformer collect-a-thons. Of course, not having played either I could be dead wrong...
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Dude, where is Ocarina of Time? Majora's Mask was a horrible follow-up in my opinion.

As far as "high profile" n64 games go, I'd say Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart, and Goldeneye are up there. We can't forget gems like The New Tetris, Dr. Mario, and WCW/NWO Revenge though!

I'd say Mario Kart 64 is my top pick, slightly edging Goldeneye. In college, we played Mario Kart 64 to death, it was a staple game. I agree with Bydo about Donkey Kong 64, even though I loved it at the time, it turned into a game where there was a lot of back-tracking and I didn't like that. It did have an unlockable version of Donkey Kong and....I think it was Jetpack.
    Last edited by Chris; 22-02-11 at 04:54.
    Become a fan of The Retro Machine on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...e/121452225655

See us on Video Masters TV @ www.videomasterstv.com

I voted for Wave Race. It is one of the few N64 games I enjoy revisiting.

Blog Entries

Almost every game you guy named off pretty much names off what I've always said about the N64 : 90% of what kept that system afloat were games made by either Nintendo or Rare. :P

Of course there's always Resident Evil 2 ... while not anywhere near as good as the PS1 version it was astonishing what they were able to stick on that cart. Even though humans should not control like tanks and I will to this day never play it because of that. And I'm sure the sports games were a bit higher for those guys than the PS1 due to out of the box 4 player support.

I always had a blast with Killer Instinct Gold, Beetle Adventure Racing, Kirby 64 and F-Zero X. And if I ever find Paper Mario again I'll snag it. The Extreme-G games were pretty cool ... I for some reason like to pop in the Cruisin' games from time to time. Doom 64 is the best console version of Doom I've played since it didn't try to re-hash the PC version. Mario Golf, Duke Nukem : Zero Hour (I think that's the name of it) I vaguely remember halfway liking ... Duke Nukem 64 was censored WAAAY too much and having played it on the PC so much, I just couldn't go down to the console versions. Ridge Racer 64 ...

Oh, and though it was shit compared to the PS1 version, Wipeout in the end is fun on just about anything.

UK forgot to mention (though I'm at the tail end of it, maybe it got brought up) that Perfect Dark REQUIRES that memory expansion to get the single player. Otherwise you only get multiplayer with a fraction of the maps ... if I remember correctly. I'm sure someone knows more about it than I do because I've never not had one. lol

Same thing with Donkey Kong 64 requiring it.
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

i have to agree with scott on the subject of super mario 64, and a sizable portion of the public agrees as well. it is simply NOT a super mario game. a quick look at wii sales will show that 2D mario games (new super mario bros wii and super mario all stars) have much higher demand than 3D mario games (super mario galaxy 1 and 2).

the description of the controls as if mario is drunk is spot on, there is a slight delay between an input on the controller and an action on the screen. this happens in quite a few games, but one of the technical superlatives of the 2D super mario series were its perfectly tight controls. this disappears in sm64, as well as the 3D sequels. everything is mushy

there is also the basic gameplay design. with 3D, exploration becomes the primary focus. in 2D, the aim was to overcome obstacles and reach a defined goal. 3d exploration can be fun, but it is a slower pace of gaming. as a result, super mario 64 did not feel like a super mario game. it felt like a game with mario as the star.

i could never get into it. it felt tedious. also, without maps i easily get lost in a 3d environment. getting lost was never an issue with proper super mario games.

in the galaxy games, nintendo has tried to make 3d mario games more like 2d, by focusing more on platforming and less on exploration. but what is the point? why not go back to 2d platforming. new super mario bros wii was a smash hit, and as long as nintendo doesnt tony hawk or guitar hero the series by releasing a new game every six months, people will continue to buy and play the games.

back on point, i would nominate mario golf. it is basically the same game as hot shots golf (i think the same people designed the game), but with a mario theme. i have always had a soft spot for golf video games, as the beauty of video games is taking real life and stripping away the tedius parts. in golf, its all about hitting shots, and hitting silly themed golf shots in punk rock rapid succsession is a blast.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    back on point, i would nominate mario golf. it is basically the same game as hot shots golf (i think the same people designed the game), but with a mario theme. i have always had a soft spot for golf video games, as the beauty of video games is taking real life and stripping away the tedius parts. in golf, its all about hitting shots, and hitting silly themed golf shots in punk rock rapid succsession is a blast.
    Hot Shots Golf is balls hard, Mario Golf is arcadey as hell, very approachable and actually pretty easy by comparison. :P I got Hot Shots Golf recently, and damn that goofy presentation is misleading. :P
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Blog Entries

While games like Paper Mario, Mario 64, and Starfox were classic games that I enjoyed for hours and hours on end, I think one of the things you have to point out about the N-64 is the massive quantity of flops it had. Quest 64, Wargods, Carmageddon, Superman, Daikitana, South Park, South Park rally, and Mortal Kombat Mythologies - Sub Zero. If you look at it, the games that did actually manage to succeed on that platform did so because they were designed by people who MADE the games for the system. If you look at it, nearly every game ported to the N64 did horribly because the designers didn't really consider changing the control scheme for the funky controller.

On a more personal note, I destroy all Quest 64 carts I find. That game was given to me at a tender age where I was not yet aware enough to know that games could be bad. I played it ALL THE WAY THROUGH. No amount of scrubbing or bleach can remove that kind of foul taint. I just pray I didn't catch something I pass on to my kids.
    Josh Wright

Reviewer for Game Gavel.com

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Default Excitebike 64

Can't believe you left out Excitebike 64, a brilliant game the controls were just so spot on, it supported the memory expansion for higher res gfx and the commentary was as funny as hell (Jumpin Jim Rivers takes a soil sample etc). I think it beats out Wave Race as the best arcade racer on the system.

I know it came late in the life cycle of the console, have any of you played it ?

Blog Entries

Oh, ya, that is a great game. Did we not even mention it? I know it had crossed my mind during some part of our banter, but might have forgot to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by readboy View Post
    Can't believe you left out Excitebike 64, a brilliant game the controls were just so spot on, it supported the memory expansion for higher res gfx and the commentary was as funny as hell (Jumpin Jim Rivers takes a soil sample etc). I think it beats out Wave Race as the best arcade racer on the system.

I know it came late in the life cycle of the console, have any of you played it ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast