Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RoundUp 28 - A Yeasty Paste

Blog Entries

Default RoundUp 28 - A Yeasty Paste

Here is our February Show which marks our second anniversary, as UKDerek kindly notes in the wrap up.

This month we road tested the Live News Recording Segment with listeners in the ustream chat window.

Grab yourself a ustream account for the next time we do this, and you can chat with us while we record the News and Listener Views for March.

Hardware Flashback - (00:00)
    Guinness Gaming Records - (50:04)
    Atar-Rewind - (52:08)
    Midwest Gaming Classic - (63:24)
    Top Ten Nintendo 64 Games - (83:31)
    Pacman Power Pill - (234:46)
    The British Hour - (238:13)
    Jon St John Interview - (240:05)
    Gaming Trivia - (266:26)
    News And Listener Views - (267:23)
    URLs And EMails - (346:55)

As always, See the shownotes page. Donate to the show.
    Join our Facebook Group. Listen to the February Outtakes.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

Singing: "Happy happy happy Anniversary" Congratulations on two years of extremely f%ing long podcasts. Wow you guys must be winded. It was fun chatting with ya this month on the URL stream. Sadly I will be hiking through the jungle next month, literally. No internet access so I hope you get more users to jump on the ustream. Come on guys get on the Ustream I mean how often do you get to see Socal in drag?
    Last edited by indieseoul; 22-02-11 at 03:55.

Do I even want to know what conversation yielded the show's moniker this month? Initial mental image is nauseating. Can't wait to hear it though.
    Check out CYN CITY:
    http://cynicaster.blogspot.ca/

Default Great Show

This is why this is my favorite podcast. Amazing show. Thanks for coming back to the console extensively on this one. I'm not an arcade or pinball guy at all so I've been missing these type of topics. Class A hardware flashback.
    Thanks guys!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicaster View Post
    Do I even want to know what conversation yielded the show's moniker this month? Initial mental image is nauseating. Can't wait to hear it though.
    Haha! Not as bad as you might think.

BTW I've found 2 glitches with a clip either side of the Dan Loosen Interview and I will fix it and replace the file on the server so you can hear the interview theme in all its glory.

So far, adobe Audition is doing its best to prevent me fixing the clip.

Glad I didn't pay for it now.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Listening to the show and have a couple comments.

CARTS:
    The Nintendo Seal of Quality didn't have too much to do with the quality of individual games. Ever play something from LJN?

"Because Nintendo controlled the production of all cartridges, it was able to enforce strict rules on its third-party developers, which were required to sign a contract by Nintendo that would obligate these parties to develop exclusively for the system, order at least 10,000 cartridges, and only make five games per year." -Sheff, David (1993). Game Over. New York: Random House. pp. 214–215. ISBN 0-679-40469-4.

That means any official NES game was a heavy investment for a third party like Capcom or Konami, and for the most party only the best games were released by major third parties (try to think of a bad NES Capcom or Konami game).

It wasn't that Tengen games were bad and got rejected, they simply wanted to release more than 5 games a year without paying extortion fees. They also wanted to release Sega ports on the NES, which Nintendo didn't want.
    Retronauts did a great interview with some of the old Tengen crew..
    http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9027362

TWITCH:
    FPS's aren't Twitch? SoCal must not play online much. I've had many Quake, Unreal, and COD online sessions that were almost heart attack inducing.
    Last edited by GarrickGreathouse; 23-02-11 at 05:11.

Keep up the good work guys! Great show, as usual.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GarrickGreathouse View Post
    TWITCH:
    FPS's aren't Twitch? SoCal must not play online much. I've had many Quake, Unreal, and COD online sessions that were almost heart attack inducing.
    Trying to play the original Quake online anymore is like trying to play Counter-Strike ... the majority of the people on there have been playing the game for heaven knows how many years and someone new or just not that good doesn't stand a chance. lol The Unreal games are slightly more forgiving, or maybe I'm just slightly better at Unreal for some reason.

But as far as CoD goes ... I played it quite a bit online recently and the only thing I got out of it was boredom. The only thing "twitchy" about that game is the fact that you can win a firefight by being the one who aims first, shoots, and downing someone with what seems like 2 or 3 bullets from just about anything ... or by hiding in a corner waiting for someone to run by ... which is most of the players I encountered. I actually got kill streaks from going after them a few times. :\

But yeah, SoCal, if you want a "twitchy" FPS ... just get Quake and try to get one lucky frag in a populated online server. The people who are usually there have that damn game down to a science. :P
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalamar View Post
    But yeah, SoCal, if you want a "twitchy" FPS ... just get Quake and try to get one lucky frag in a populated online server. The people who are usually there have that damn game down to a science. :P
    I played the demo for Bulletstorm, and that looks like it can get pretty frantic. And of course the Serious Sam games are always nuts.

HIGH SCORES:
    Another thing you guys are missing out on in the 21st century!

Thanks to XBox live, I have a constant stream of high score to beat. Games like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Pinball FX, Pac-Man Champions Edition DX and others keep a running scoreboard with you and your friends. It's always right there, punching your ego in it's face meat when your friend overtakes your high score.
    Achievement Points (something I don't actually care about) keep track of gameplay challenges, and you can always check your friends Points.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast