Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie and Cost Conscous Guide to going to CGE (Classic Gaming Expo)

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, you know we will.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

kynrek Guest

Thanks Scott, I really hope to make it this writeup with definitely help.

Blog Entries

After CGE gets announced we will update that with more specific locations, costs etc. One point to be aware of is that you can stay longer in Vegas for not much more than staying less time. Additional days over just a weekend stay are often so cheap that you can stay through the week and the total flight hotel cost will not go up by much, say 20% rather than twice the cost.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    Oh yeah, you know we will.
    And you know I'll be there to enjoy all the festivities... drinks... and another few rounds with OZ if he's still there...

Vipp Guest

Scott would you be able to update this for the UK listeners? for myself and Kerry to attend we would need as much advice on cheap flights/hotel as we could get. also is UK Mike getting a fight to your place for a few days before CGE? and would that be more expensive than one flight from the UK to CGE? Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

random_dave Guest

I just spent at least 10 minutes trying to figure out what Couscous had to do with CGE

Blog Entries

Good one Random. I have been meaning to update this for a while, I will get it done soon. I will have a few places to add after I return from Vegas next week.

To answer your questions for the most part (Vipp) making a stop by my place would add to the cost as you would arrive at Washington DC and then book a separate flight to Vegas, just doing a quick rate check it was $300 per person for that flight. The hotel info I have up there is all still the same deal, I will expand on it some more and add more about daily expenses. The main thing is despite the reputation Vegas is just a normal town a few blocks away from the entertainment areas. Other than your flight and hotel costs you don't have to spend anything more than you would at home, although the opportunity is certainly there. Just a block or two away there are everyday restaurants and stores like Target or Walmart (ASDA). Any of the shows or activities are easily budgeted in advance as their prices are all posted and in most cases tickets can be bought in advance, although buying on site can often save some money.

Any UK specific questions you have please post them and I will answer.
    Last edited by SubaruBrat; 17-07-13 at 12:34.

Follow us on Facebook!

bjones371 Guest

So what would you say is the bare minimum duration you would need to go for to get the best experience of both CGE and Vegas in one trip? I'm hoping to make it to CGE2014 but need to suss out how holidays from work would pan out, and hope it doesn't clash with Revival too.

Blog Entries

That is a tough one since it depends on how long your to-do list is. If you show up Friday and leave Sunday night after the show as some do you will have a great time and you will gets some Vegas experience in addition to the expo but ultimately you will have only seen the very outer layer of it all. A week, say Wed to Wed would give you plenty of time to pick out some good day and night time activities as well as get in your full CGE experience to include all our RGR extra events. If you can do that then you will get allot more for your money as the airfare is the real cost and hotels are the most expensive on the weekend and quite cheap during the weekdays. If you can't do a full week I would suggest taking a survey of the shows you want to see and figure out what days they are running (some shows take a day or two off each week), hotel costs for the days, etc. and you might find that Fri-Wed works better than Wed-Sun and so forth.

If you have any specific ideas of what you might want to do/see or if you want input that might help a bit.
    Last edited by SubaruBrat; 05-11-13 at 03:36.

Follow us on Facebook!

bjones371 Guest

Cheers for that Scott! I was hoping to make it over for at least a week, sounds like that'll be enough going off that and other posts in this thread. Whether it's a Weds to Weds, Fri to Fri or whatever other week long combination depends on availability with work during the summer busy period, need the official announcement of dates to find out though! Basically I'll be there as long as I can afford to be all going to plan.

Really hope I can make it, both for the Expo and for Vegas itself, I wants me some hooker trading cards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast