Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which came 1st?

Default Which came 1st?

Super Mario Bros. nes or Super Mario Bros arcade?

I've seen and heard that either one has. What do you all think?

I think that the Famicom version was first, and VS. Super Mario Bros. was later released. I suppose a VS. sales flier would solve the question.

I swear up and down that I was playing Vs. Super Mario Bros all summer long before I had an NES and I got the Robby NES for Xmas. I have debated this and argued it many many times with people. Ok after more research I have solved the riddle in my opinion. The problem comes from the fact that Nintendo launched the NES in the NYC area in OCT of 85, another launch the spring of 86 for LA, so the dates are all effed up. Here is what I know, I got Robby, Duck Hunt, Tag Team Wrestling and Ninja Kid for Xmas. Both Tag Team and Ninja Kid weren't released until Oct of 86, I had a job at this point and money to spend on games, I got Super Mario Bros in January of 87 in the first batch that came in to Toys R Us as my mom had a friend who worked there. I also see that Wild Gunman is listed as a launch title, I LOVED this arcade game, and as far as I know it was never released wide in NA... I suspect this will be a debate for the ages...

What I really want to know is why the eff can't we get the real arcade Donkey Kong, or DK Jr at home in NA, other than emulation???

The NES/Famicom cartridge came first.

This article explains that it is unclear exactly when the "VS" arcade version was released; while the arcade boards themselves are stamped "1985", the Killer List of Video Games, the title screen, and the MAME game listing list the game as having been released in 1986.

Unrelated, but I was first exposed to Super Mario Bros. via the arcade incarnation (rather than the home version) in a Photon (laser tag knock-off) facility. It's definitely not meant for the arcade...

Quote Originally Posted by bill_loguidice View Post
    Unrelated, but I was first exposed to Super Mario Bros. via the arcade incarnation (rather than the home version) in a Photon (laser tag knock-off) facility. It's definitely not meant for the arcade...
    I believe I actually played the arcade one first as well. In Mexico the NES didn't become popular (or cheap enough for the masses) until 1988 or so... I did play the VS one at an arcade in the US well before that.

Actually, I remember the graphics in the VS cab were far superior than those on the NES. I don't know what it was, everything looked crisper somehow.

Flare I suspect that it was a monitor in the cab vs tv at home, but I agree the arcade was way better, these articles that say the NES was the same as the arcade is BS, I spent well over $200 playing the cab and never could make the spring board jump on 8-1 or 8-2 and easily beat the home NES version the first night...

I'm sure that the improved quality of RGB versus composite video is what made it so crisp. VS. Super Mario Bros. is definately a fun challenge, and I believe some of it made it into SMB2j.

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Flare I suspect that it was a monitor in the cab vs tv at home, but I agree the arcade was way better, these articles that say the NES was the same as the arcade is BS, I spent well over $200 playing the cab and never could make the spring board jump on 8-1 or 8-2 and easily beat the home NES version the first night...
    Oh yeah, the VS one was super hard I remember. A quarter muncher really.

Also, the tiny joystick in that cab didn't help, LOL.
    Last edited by Flare; 09-02-11 at 01:57.

Oh I loved the controls, it was the same as all prior "Mario" games DK, DK Jr, DK 3, Mario Bros...

here was an article I found informative about this issue--- http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb_release.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast