Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately???

Blog Entries

I just finished reading Constellation Games. It's a very entertaining book about a game developer that tries to localize retro games from several alien civilizations. It's kind of like Ready Player One mixed with an alien invasion story. It's not for everyone but I really enjoyed it. Also I started reading Atari Inc: Business is fun. So far I'm really enjoying it.

drich255 Guest

Another video game story bundle available. Among others, this one includes Atari Inc., Ghosts in the Machine, and Ray Barnholt's Scroll magazine collection 1-11. A very nice collection!
    Last edited by drich255; 03-04-14 at 08:28.

Jammajup Guest

Still trying to get through the first Necroscope book (Brian Lumley),just a case of finding the time before i loose the plot again.

random_dave Guest

I've not been able to download and look at it yet, but there's a free ebook available on Blurb

Classic Game Covers
    Confessions of An Art Junkie
    by by Mike Winterbauer, winterbauerm

"This book is a must read for computer gamers and artists who enjoy classic cover art of some of their favorite games. The book is visually beautiful and showcases all the classic covers I painted between 1985 and 1994. It also describes what it was like getting the commissions and painting them. This is a fun read for any one interested in being an artist and wondering what it is like to create classic cover art for games and movies. Told candidly and with a sense of humor you can learn the nostalgic history behind these paintings and many of my other paintings not lost to the digital age."

random_dave Guest

I've not been able to download and look at it yet, but there's a free ebook available on Blurb

Classic Game Covers
    Confessions of An Art Junkie
    by by Mike Winterbauer, winterbauerm

"This book is a must read for computer gamers and artists who enjoy classic cover art of some of their favorite games. The book is visually beautiful and showcases all the classic covers I painted between 1985 and 1994. It also describes what it was like getting the commissions and painting them. This is a fun read for any one interested in being an artist and wondering what it is like to create classic cover art for games and movies. Told candidly and with a sense of humor you can learn the nostalgic history behind these paintings and many of my other paintings not lost to the digital age."

Blog Entries

Well hurry up and get it, then send it to me.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

drich255 Guest

Story Bundle: Video Game Bundle 4.0 (includes The Anatomy of Super Mario Vol. 1 by Jeremy Parish)

I started Parish's book on Kindle. I knew that the US Arcade version of Donkey Kong had a strange order for the levels and that the Pie Level wasn't until much later in the game. I didn't know, though, that the Japanese Arcade version had the levels in constant order - Barrels, Pie, Elevator, Rivets.
    Last edited by drich255; 22-08-14 at 04:32.

I just received "Generation64", a coffee-table book in Swedish. It has interviews with a diverse collection of famous (mainly Swedish) c64-users.
    Game Programmers (including Greve Graphics of "Blood n guts" and "Soldier one"-fame), Musicians, Hackers, Game Crackers and Demo scene (including members of Fairlight and Triad).
    I do not know if they have any plans for a english version.

http://generation64.se/the-book/

Regarding the classic game covers book, it is also downloadable from the authors/artists own page
    http://www.winterbauerarts.com/ClassicGameCovers.html
    That also works for us non-us people

drich255, thanks for the recommendations! It would be great if you list the books in the bundles next time, in case we miss the offer.
    (I finally found them under "archive" at the bottom of the page)
    Last edited by eldphm; 30-09-14 at 06:55.

random_dave Guest

I've not received and read it yet but I thought I'd throw the Ultimate Dreamcast Collectors Guide in here as any book that has James & Watch Arm in it can't be bad http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.u...-book.html?m=1

Blog Entries

I just read O.H.M.S.S. on holiday. Now I've read all the Bond books.

Watched the film again when I got home.

S'alright.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast