Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately???

drich255 Guest

Ready Player One was mentioned a couple of times briefly on RGR. A very good book! Probably in my top 10 favorites. It is futuristic and retro at the same time. It has D&D, arcades, old computers/consoles, 80s movies, and is full of other 80s references (without feeling that it is pandering). Pretty much all the stuff that gets discussed on RGR. The audio version is read by Wil Wheaton. Just a matter of time before it gets turned into a movie.
    Last edited by drich255; 10-04-13 at 07:29.

Diagamblic Guest

I listened to Ready Player One a year back. Wil Wheaton does a fantastic job and actually mentions himself in the book! It's so great. I also urge everyone who's checked out the book, to check out the Atari 2600 game Stacks - it's based off of the Atari 2600 game that Wade programs in the book. Check it out!

random_dave Guest

http://storybundle.com/ are offering a bunch of gaming related books for the next few weeks, they are

The initial titles in the Video Game StoryBundle (minimum $3 to purchase, and worth more than $50 when bought separately) are:

The Making of Karateka by Jordan Mechner
    Generation Xbox: How Videogames Invaded Hollywood by Jamie Russell
    Kill Screen Magazine Issue 2: Back To School + Issue 6: Change by Kill Screen Editors
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson
    Killing is Harmless: A Critical Reading of Spec Ops: The Line by Brendan Keogh
    Confessions of the Game Doctor by Bill Kunkel
    If you pay more than the bonus price of just $10, you get all seven of the regular tomes, plus three unmissable extra full-length books (bringing the total bundle value to $100):

Videogames: In The Beginning by Ralph H. Baer
    The Making Of Prince Of Persia by Jordan Mechner
    250 Indie Games You Must Play by Mike Rose
    The bundle is available for a very limited time only, via StoryBundle, and allows easy reading on computers, mobile devices and Kindles via file transfer, email, or other methods, with multiple DRM-free formats (.epub, .pdf, .mobi) available for each book.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestion Random Dave! I just picked up the full set. Some good stuff in there and a few are even difficult to find in physical book form.

drich255 Guest

If you haven't read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, read it. An excellent story (another of my top 10 books of all time). Not directly related to video games, but it is about Earth having a war with alien bugs. And in the battle school, the soldiers use advanced video games for training.

This one is being made into a movie and should be released later this year. But read the book. It is interesting, has depth, has characters that you can relate to, and does so without being too lengthy. It will be difficult for the movie to do it justice.
    Last edited by drich255; 09-05-13 at 06:46.

Vipp Guest

I have been reading The Fellowship of the rings again and On the Edge. I can help but dive in and out of Johnny got his gun, i have read it so many times its like flicking through a graphic novel when i have five minutes to waste.

random_dave Guest

I've not read it yet, so i can't vouch for it, but I have been made aware of a free book on the making of the ZX SPectrum version of R-Type

You can find out about it and download it from http://bizzley.com/

drich255 Guest

I've started reading Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered The World. I heard about this book recently from Diagamblic in another thread. I have always been a Nintendo Fan Boy, so the history of the company fascinates me. The author does a great job with the narration making it hard to put down (at least so far). I am awestruck at how powerful Nintendo was. SMB3 was a record selling game for its time.

I love the fact that Mario was (and probably still is) recognized more around the world than Mickey Mouse. We need some Nintendo themed amusement parks in the US.

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RUP View Post
    My wife picked up a copy of "Atari Inc. Business is Fun" for me. I'm about halfway through it... WOW, What a fantastic read so far!
    I just downloaded the Kindle sample and will try this out. Looks like it has forwards by Ted Dabney and Ralph Baer.

Blog Entries

Been reading Terminator 2: Infiltrator, darn good book and I can't believe I never read it!

Also, on this month's HWFB I interview Boisey Pitre who co-authored CoCo with Bill Loguidice, that is a good read full of history on the CoCo (a Tandy(radio shack) computer line. It was a widely available computer that sold millions and yet is conspicuous in its absence from the retro universe. I really suggest picking it up.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast