Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario All Stars 25th Anniversary Wii Edition

Blog Entries

Default Super Mario All Stars 25th Anniversary Wii Edition

I guess I have been asleep. Had no idea this was coming out today! Picked it up at GameStop for $29.95 (Ya, I had a gift card and that was the ONLY reason I went there). I went to pick up DK Country but they had one copy of this left and I couldn't resist.

Has a cool bonus disk that has all the Mario soundtracks and also a cool book on the history of the franchise.

Hm, SMB 1, 2, 3 and Lost Levels. Not sure I want to buy 1 & 2 again. I hate to admit it but I've never owned SMB3. I think I'll save the money and just get the NES cart somewhere.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire73; 14-12-10 at 10:20.

Blog Entries

Ya, it's a direct port of Super Mario All Stars on the SNES. I have been enjoying it though

Quote Originally Posted by GameGavel View Post
    Ya, it's a direct port of Super Mario All Stars on the SNES. I have been enjoying it though
    Thats what I don't get, it's practically a ROM on a disc. Why not throw in the version of All Stars that had Mario World on it? I own this version, its just like the normal All Stars but with Mario World as yet ANOTHER selectable game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leathco View Post
    Thats what I don't get, it's practically a ROM on a disc. Why not throw in the version of All Stars that had Mario World on it? I own this version, its just like the normal All Stars but with Mario World as yet ANOTHER selectable game.
    Sadly, it IS a ROM on a disc. It's just an emulator running the thing. They could've at least done something special with it aside from an art book you'll look at once or twice and a CD that will just get ripped to the hard drive to an MP3 player.

Go Nintendo. :\
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

as a game, 30 dollars is a bit too much for such a barebones collection. 20 would be a much better price.

however

if this is truly a limited edition, from a collectors standpoint 30 dollars is a steal. you cannot currently find a copy at MSRP online.

as for why other games are not included... i suppose nintendo does not want to undercut what is already available on the virtual console.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    as a game, 30 dollars is a bit too much for such a barebones collection. 20 would be a much better price.

however

if this is truly a limited edition, from a collectors standpoint 30 dollars is a steal. you cannot currently find a copy at MSRP online.

as for why other games are not included... i suppose nintendo does not want to undercut what is already available on the virtual console.
    To me, it just shows that Nintendo doesn't have to put forth effort to make money off it's fans. Hell, if I could've found it I was going to buy it for my daughter for Christmas ... a lot more likely now since she has expressed a severe dislike of the ridiculous motion controls. lol
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

it shows what a sad state modern nintendo is in. there is honest-to-god real demand for old school nintendo, yet the company keeps trying to push 3D marios, puzzle based 3D zeldas, and samaus aran with feminine issues down our throats.

the most successful standalone wii game has been new super mario bros wii, and that was concieved and developed as a throwaway title. imagine a new 2D mario game with some effort put into it. imagine a zelda game that focused on simple, yet challenging combat. imagine a metroid game where you could actually get lost.

The Top Crusader Guest

I'm with you, chrisbid. Mario Galaxy is fun but NSMBWii is the best (new) thing I've played in years, and I'd love another top-down Zelda on a console and a sidescrolling 2D Metroid without all the drama...

Blog Entries

I love NSMBWii in single player mode, but im Multi Player mode where the game should excel, it falls down because it does something that a few new games seem to be doing.

If you are playing Multi Player and you go for a jump it's possible you will hit another player and die as a result if you hit them from underneath, they get a boost off you and you get forced downwards, probably falling short on your jump and usually into a pit of fire or something similarly fatal.

That is probably OK, multi player in this style can be competitive or or co-operative, so I get that.

That isn't it though, the annoying thing is the screen freeze. When you are in Multi Player, and usually just as you are about to make a jump so you are getting your timing right, another player dies, and the whole game pauses. The screen literally freezes for about half a second which throws all of your timing out and you miss your jump. You miss your jump because somebody else died, and that is just stupid.

I will play the game in single player mode but multi player is broken.

The same is true of a game Flare told me about the other day, a Galaga or remake called Galaga Legions http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...ns-dx/17-4464/ and the video shows that game doing the same thing, pausing the screen. I can't play a game like that.

Then the final twist of the knife, a game I have been looking forward to playing, Pacman CE, he says that does it too. Well, I needn't dream about Pacman CE any more. Seems that's broken too.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook