Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My collection, OR, the troubles of a collection

Blog Entries

Awesome! If and when you ever want to sell that thing let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Nurmix View Post
    Thanks, mate! Definitely a lot of elbow grease on this one. The rat mess was the worst part of it though.

And yes, the monitor looks much brighter - so much so that I need to dial down the brightness pot I increased when I first got it (before cleaning). The only issue with the screen is that there are a two small spots where the phosphor has worn off, but it doesn't in any way detract from the game.

I would like to repaint the control panel, although I'd have to somehow replicate the graphics and helpful "Engrish" instructions.

Here are some pictures...

Attachment 728Attachment 727Attachment 731Attachment 729Attachment 730

Quote Originally Posted by GameGavel View Post
    Awesome! If and when you ever want to sell that thing let me know
    You'll be the first one I talk to if that day comes... but don't hold your breath, I actually really like Fort Cosmos now. I've even broken the 21,000 mark with the left to right / right to left bounce technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurmix View Post
    ...I've been working on another one of my cabs recently... World Series The Season by Cinematronics (1985). I didn't think I'd like it that much, but it's a really fun 2 player baseball game. I'll post some pictures this weekend, but basically, it wasn't working when I got it, but now it's fully functional.
    As promised, here are some pictures... The control panel overlay is in pretty bad shape, but I've not been able to find a replacement / reproduction yet. And I'm not terribly fond of the Cliff Hanger pink cabinet. If I hang onto the game, those are two things I'd definitely change.

WSTS_right_view.jpgWSTS_control_panel.jpgWSTS_right_view_3.jpg

I'm making slow but steady progress on getting the 6 arcade games I acquired in August up and running. In another thread I mentioned I finally got my Satan's Hollow going with a new switching power supply and adapter board last week. So that makes 3 working games now.

I actually had 4 working games, but this weekend, I began tearing down the 4th one (Sega's Champion Baseball) in preparation of making it into a horizontal MAME cab. This is actually a Zaxxon cabinet that was converted to Champion Baseball. This is one beefy, heavy and tall upright cabinet! It has a horizontally mounted monitor that works well. The colors were a little washed out in a couple corners, but my degaussing coil took care of that. So far I've removed the control panel, the plexiglass and monitor bezels, and all three game boards.

It really seems like this cabinet was intentionally designed to be difficult to get into though, with various boards screwed to the back, and an interior that's divided up into 4 sections, all separated by heavy and thick boards. There's a HUGE and useless bottom level full of empty space, the power and game board level (which is really cramped), the monitor level, and the marquee.

As it stands now, I'm going to have to tear out most of the section between the power/game board area and the empty space below if I want my PC case to fit in there. Or I may just de-case the PC and mount everything inside the cabinet. Either way, I'm going to have to make a new back for the cabinet - ideally a hinged one that swings open. Right now it's just individual boards that more or less cover each section. Quite a bad design if you ask me...

I'm planning to use the existing control panel for now. It only has one joystick, but it has 6 buttons (3 per side), plus the player 1 & 2 buttons. It's extremely ugly though, due to the half-ass Champion Baseball control panel overlay, the badly patched former button holes, and crappy blue paint. This will require quite a makeover.

Also, this cabinet is going to need some major refinishing and patch work too. Seeing as I'm not really a wood working kind of guy, I'll definitely be hitting up the forums for advice when it gets to that step.

As far as getting it up and working as a MAME cab, I think all I need now is the ArcadeVGA card and monitor cable, and an iPac for the controls. Seeing that this is not a JAMMA cabinet, I know it's going to take more effort to get things wired up. And whoever did the original conversion from Zaxxon to Champion Baseball really made a mess of things! There are so many bad patches, un-used wires and connectors that it will take a while to sort them all out. When all is said and done, I want it to be a clean and minimal setup, with only the wiring I need, and none that I don't.

Anyway, I'll get some pictures of it and post them here in the next day or two so you can see in more detail what I'm dealing with.

I'm also sorting out a dead monitor on my Master Of Weapon game. Once I get that going, this cab (a JAMMA) is going to become my vertical ArcadeSD-based multi-game cab.

And my Elevator Action currently has a dead monitor, blows fuses in the power board, and shows no signs of life. I'm saving that one for last.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123