Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GameGavel Steam Thread

Blog Entries

Default GameGavel Steam Thread

Post all discussions related to Steam, and the Official GameGavel Steam group in this nifty thread!

And don't forget to check out the group page! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gamegavel
    Last edited by SteveSawyer; 30-10-10 at 01:01.
    Steve Sawyer
    GameGavel.com
    Editorial Consultant/Editor in Chief

Wow..I didnt know GameGavel had a steam group! Thats pretty sweet.
    I'm BludStain on steam...and I will be joining this group straight away!
    Last edited by Todd1780; 30-10-10 at 03:22. Reason: Drunken spelling errors

Blog Entries

My Steam handle is Dhalamar ... yeah ... real original huh.

Just bear in mind that 99% of the time I'm on a shit computer ... so I can't actually run half of what I've got. I still get the games I can't run because MAYBE one of these days I'll get a modern mediocre computer that runs shit like Left 4 Dead or Killing Floor.

First person shooters on the PC with a keyboard and mouse = bliss.

And Steam works out great for me since I generally get stuff when they go on sale. And Steam is known for their MASSIVE sales.
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Blog Entries

Default Official STEAM Sales/Specials Thread

Whenever you hear of any STEAM sales or specials post them here in this forum to give our members and visitors a head's up. This thread will be "stuck" so it will always be an easy find.

Thanks guys!

Blog Entries

http://www.steamgamesales.com/ Is a great source for steam sales prices too, not just current ones, but previously offered sales as well. It also tracks when prices drop Non-sale.
    Josh Wright

Reviewer for Game Gavel.com

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Blog Entries

OK then, Steam?

Tell me what it can do for me?

I know I can I run it on my PC and buy games and play them online etc.

Can I only buy new games?
    Do they have a retro section?
    Can I play retro games online?
    Can I play against people only on PC or does it connect with XBox live or PSN as well?
    If I change my computer how easy is it to get your purchased games back?
    Can I run it on more than 1 machine using the same account?
    How much is it?
    How much are new games?
    How much are retro games?
    Will I lose all my games when Steam goes out of business?

Answers appreciated.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

hey Miner,

to anwser some of your questions on steam,

Yes, they regularly offer retro games such as the oddworld games, point and click adventures like space quest and The Dig, as well as
    older console titles for the genesis. Quite a lot of provided content there. Its not in its own section per say, but if your looking for specific titles
    it has a great internal search engine. Some of the retro games have online scoreboards, but as for like multiplayer hosting, thats a case by case basis.
    As far as getting the games back, its really simple, using the steam client all you have to do is download it through the Steam Software. The game is
    installed to your systems specs automatically. It makes installs and downloads really simple.
    Sadly, its just PC users connected through steams own hosting, that again is also case by case though. If your playing an MMO, it is decided by the
    provider who gets to play with whom. You can also only run one account at a time, and only from one terminal. This is so they don;t have multiple people playing
    on the same account from different machines. What steam does essentially sell licenses for the titles you buy, and hosts a file that can be downloaded and installed through the interface. It itself is free, with no monthly fees what so ever. If you only ever use it as a shell program, or an instant messenger for people in games, then its pretty much already paid you back the nothing you paid for it. Each game is individually priced, with older titles tending towards being very affordable, most never getting above 5 bucks.
    Now as for the steam going out of business thing, I can pretty much promise you that if steam goes out of business, its because of a third world war, a zombie apocalypse, or alien invasion. Steam isn't going anywhere, as its the largest provider of digital download titles on earth, responsible for somewhere close to 70% roughly of all digital download sales. It is honestly the largest platform for gaming in existence. Not to mention, Steam is owned by Valve, and valve is one of the hottest commodities in gaming. Stability is pretty much a given.

If you have any questions about it I didn't answer, please check out the wiki Here. Or go directly to Steams website Here

To be perfectly honest with you, I've been gaming for close to thirty years, and steam is the most dependable useful platform I've ever used. I swear by it, I even got my mother to download it. I recommend steam to everyone, and even if you never download or buy a single game off of them, its still a free messenger service, with voice support and an internal browser. Pretty awesome, for costing dimp.
    Josh Wright

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Blog Entries

Thanks for the full answers Josh, that's great.

Is there anything around or on the horizon that will allow PC-360-PS3 online play or am I right in thinking that was stopped as PC Gamers were winning all the time?
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

Default Other platform support

Actually, In a very bold move, steam will be available with the release of Portal 2 on the ps3. I don't own one of those things, so I'm not in the loop as far as what that all entails. I'd be very very surprised if steam ever hits X-box live, as that to me, seems a huge conflict of interest.
    Josh Wright

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Blog Entries

Hey guys, Steam and Sega Just released 10+ classics from the master system, and genesis. Come check them out.

Take a look here!
    Josh Wright

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam