Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people interested?!?

Default Why are people interested?!?

My uncle knows I am all into gaming since they started I got the Xbox back when it started and he told me to check out da show here. Why are people so into stuff before Xbox when it was all beeps and lines?

Knob! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    Knob! :-)
    XD lmao, I couldn't have replied to that better myself, lol.

I got into gaming when I was about 5 back in 1989. I was at a Seaside resort called Caister where they have a holiday camp there with a main entertainment hall with an arcade, and what I saw was the Atari Star Wars arcade!

Heck when I saw that it made me honestly think I was in an X-Wing flying in space and blowing up the Death Star! It's funny how I got into game with a film franchise, when film franchise games most of the times are considered as bad. I dunno, maybe they worked on it better back then.

When I was 6, I was using a BBC Micro at my school, they were given out for educational purposes, even though a teacher at the school owned a copy of Centipede for the BBC Micro that he kept hidden away from us and played during lunch breaks.

The games that we were aloud to play were software such as Podd, which was an English game where you told him to do things, the idea was that it made you remember to spell words with rewarding you with an animation on the screen.

My Dad saw this and wanted to get a computer for home, he knew someone at work who had a Commodore 64 with a bunch of games. He bought it off him and came back home with it inside a bin liner filled with games. Games on the C64 were manly on audio tape, and can take up to 15 minutes to load, as a kid you can imagine, I found this annoying and boring, and because of it, I never got around to playing all the games I got with it.

One thing I do remember, was picking up a tape called P.O.D. I honestly thought this was the same Podd game I was playing at school. How very wrong... All I can say is it was like taking amphetamines with acid and attempting to play space invaders with the most insane trip you'll ever had! And the whole time you realise you weren't on drugs...

Then came the peak of my childhood gaming, getting to play Super Mario Bros on the NES for the first time. I remember I played it at this local youth club and we were given 10 minutes each to play it and I remember very well getting stuck behind a pipe and being told by one of the youth workers how to jump over it. Right on the Dpad and A! heh.

From that very moment I was getting serious into gaming. Mario became my childhood hero, and I got myself a GameBoy on Christmas '91 and I inherited my uncles NES on the following birthday. So yeah, I grew up as a bit of a Nintendo kid, more so with the Game Boy, even though the first Nintendo system I played was an NES, the Game Boy was king at my house, more so than the NES, which was a shame because I never bought a new NES game back in the day, I just wanted GameBoy games.

I could go on and on about my gaming history, but someone will get bored, heh.

Blog Entries

Think of it in terms of cars, a 1955 Buick Roadmaster is not as fast, cannot handle as well, and does not have the same bluetooth enabled stereo as a modern Porsche, but that Roadmaster has a style that is classic and appealing and it is a joy to drive in a way that the modern car is not.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Blog Entries

I'll keep mine short. My first console I ever played on was a standalone Pong machine. Then it was the Atari 2600.

So go out and get yourself an Atari Flashback 2 (or, to a lesser extent, any of the plug and play TV games that have Atari games on them. Even though they're just "ports" of the real games) and you'll see what I started on, even before arcades (for me anyway. I didn't start playing arcades heavily until '92 or '94 or something like that).

And, for what it's worth, I'm still looking for a functioning Atari 2600. The damn thing doesn't even need controllers or games or the stupid TV-Game converter. So long as the console and the power supply is there. Just throwing that out there.
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

I'm not sure how to respond, other than that's pretty funny. Good one! "Lines and beeps" - kind of like "castles and sh!t."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalamar View Post
    I'll keep mine short. My first console I ever played on was a standalone Pong machine. Then it was the Atari 2600.

So go out and get yourself an Atari Flashback 2 (or, to a lesser extent, any of the plug and play TV games that have Atari games on them. Even though they're just "ports" of the real games) and you'll see what I started on, even before arcades (for me anyway. I didn't start playing arcades heavily until '92 or '94 or something like that).

And, for what it's worth, I'm still looking for a functioning Atari 2600. The damn thing doesn't even need controllers or games or the stupid TV-Game converter. So long as the console and the power supply is there. Just throwing that out there.
    It's funny, I find 2600's all the time but since you've asked me to find one for you I haven't come across one. It's only a matter of time and I will get one for ya

Blog Entries

I know where there is one for $75, comes with a NES zapper......
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

I wonder how old Mr Douchwell is?
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast