Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2600 MultiCart/Flash Cart

Default 2600 MultiCart/Flash Cart

Hey quick question is the Harmony cart currently the only multicart/flash cart for the 2600?

Anyone have the Harmony? or could you recommend one? Thanks

Blog Entries

Hmmm, been haxoring the servers and downloading the next month's HWFB?
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

nope, just got the CV expansion module #1, and figured I may as well put it to good use

I remember an old 2600 cart, it wasn't a flash cart, but actually loaded games off of a CD. You'd hook up the CD player headphone jack to the cart, select the CD track on the burned disc that represented the game you wanted to play, and it booted. Pretty cool for its time.

Did some research, found it. It was called the Cuttle Cart.

http://schells.com/cuttlecart.shtml

The same guy made one for the 7800 too.

http://schells.com/cc2.shtml

Any thoughts Scott?

I looked at the Cuttle Cart, it is rare according to wiki only 204 were made. The Harmony is the way to go it is SD card supported and relatively cheap compared to other flash/multi carts.

Speaking of flash/multicarts a newish one for the CV is ATARIMAX Ultimate SD, I picked one up. Works great! Supports all the CV roms and homebrew.

Harmony cart looks great but I'm on the fence about picking it up as I have really taken to buying individual homebrew carts (whats better than opening a brand new 2600 game in 2010?) and I fear that, with many homebrew roms publicly available, I may hold off on some future buys if I can just load the files onto the Harmony. I understand that that may actually be a selling point for the device but I just love the feeling of the actual cartridges in my hand and collection.

How is the homebrew for 2600, I have played a few CV homebrew, the Mario Bros is incredible. At Retro Gaming Expo I played Jack and the Beanstalk? for 2600. I had seen that the guy was going to be there selling it so I had thought about getting it, I played it, didn't get it and the designer was more interested in talking to someone on his cell than trying to sell his game and filling me in on the details.

I know the guys behind Mario Bros and a few other games are talking about doing digital distribution for their games

Quote Originally Posted by drthielegood View Post
    Harmony cart looks great but I'm on the fence about picking it up as I have really taken to buying individual homebrew carts (whats better than opening a brand new 2600 game in 2010?) and I fear that, with many homebrew roms publicly available, I may hold off on some future buys if I can just load the files onto the Harmony. I understand that that may actually be a selling point for the device but I just love the feeling of the actual cartridges in my hand and collection.
    I'm with you on that - precisely the reason I didn't pick one up too. Its kinda like modding a current gen console - you end up never really playing the games to the extent that you would do if you bought them. Or is that just me?

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    I'm with you on that - precisely the reason I didn't pick one up too. Its kinda like modding a current gen console - you end up never really playing the games to the extent that you would do if you bought them. Or is that just me?

No...I agree. I know a few people who have hacked systems and they never seem to enjoy the games they've "acquired" as much as me or others who buy legally. While the roms for 2600 seem to be freely available in many cases, it would be like having too much of a good thing. I have really enjoyed watching the homebrew and "hack" market grow and every so often I pick up a new cart (the idea of which makes me smile considering that I'm buying for a console built in 1977). I don't usually pick up more than on or two in any given month. I suppose the wait adds to the nostalgia thats such a big part of retro gaming.

BTW....SRG...check around for sites like AtariAge for a look at the cool things that people are doing with 2600 hardware. They've hacked existing games like Berzerk (added voice) and PacMan(made it look more arcade-like), ported arcade games like Seawolf, Juno First and Star Fire to the console and created a bunch of new and unique titles like Dungeon, Falldown and Oystron. I just picked up Halo 2600 and its actually more than just a novel retro idea. The homebrew scene seems to be alive and well on 2600.