Thread: ColecoVision video(Any retro system video really)

Default ColecoVision video(Any retro system video really)

Hey what is the best way to hook up my retro system to my tv? RCA to F coupler?

Blog Entries

Depends, some systems like the Atari 5200 must use the stock adapter, most though can hook up with an RCA to F as you mentioned. That said, some systems like the 2600 for example can be easily modified to output line level video and audio (RCA video/audio in plugs) which gets around the noise inducing RF modulator. This gives you the cleanest video and prepares you for the day when TVs that can receive analog RF are hard to find.

Examples, there are many more but these give you the idea.

Easy to make http://benheck.com/book/support/Atari2600VidMod.htm http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/04_13.html

Or buy already made http://www.longhornengineer.com/Videomods/Videomods
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Hey what is the best way to hook up my retro system to my tv? RCA to F coupler?
    In order, worst to best video connections for older systems, rf, composite, s-video, rgb.
    Once you reach the Dreamcast you also have "vga" and the gamecude and ps2 both support "component" as far as i know.
    It also depends on the type of television you use, for me it has to be a crt as the older systems were designed for this type of display.

I would also point out that as Subaru says that although some of the older systems only support rf they can be modded for either composite or s-video or both, this applies to the atari 2600, 5200 & 7800 and the colecovision.
    The megadrive/genesis can also be modded for s-video although if you live in europe "rgb" is the way to go.
    Hope this helps.

Geoff.

I did some more research on the CV as that is the system I have the most interest in. There are several video hacks, some are complex, not really for a beginner. Some work with the 2600 expansion, others don't. There is a DIY kit for sale. On Atari Age there are a few guys who do mods. One guy, whom I have decided to send off to has a RCA hack that uses a 1/8" jack like portable dvd players, or video cameras use, so you have only a small hole. Instead of the 3 red, white, yellow barrel ports. He also has a BIOS mod to skip the 12 second delay when you put in a new cart, a pause switch, and power switch replacement. He also has a mod to add a arcade style ball to the joystick. I'll post how this all turns out in about 2 weeks when I get my stuff back.

I did some more research on the CV as that is the system I have the most interest in. There are several video hacks, some are complex, not really for a beginner. Some work with the 2600 expansion, others don't. There is a DIY kit for sale. On Atari Age there are a few guys who do mods. One guy, whom I have decided to send off to has a RCA hack that uses a 1/8" jack like portable dvd players, or video cameras use, so you have only a small hole. Instead of the 3 red, white, yellow barrel ports. He also has a BIOS mod to skip the 12 second delay when you put in a new cart, a pause switch, and power switch replacement. He also has a mod to add a arcade style ball to the joystick. I'll post how this all turns out in about 2 weeks when I get my stuff back.
    His names Yurkie, he's pretty good although i prefer to have the 3 rca connections rather than what he uses.
    Regarding the controller, do yourself a favour and mod a genesis or snes pad.
    It requires creating a 2nd ground and soldering but the hassle is worth it as the coleco stick is terrible, ball tops or not.

Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by F-zero View Post
    Regarding the controller, do yourself a favour and mod a genesis or snes pad.
    It requires creating a 2nd ground and soldering

Geoff.
    Hey Geoff or anyone who knows, I recently picked up a couple of 3 button Genesis controllers in an auction of misc crap and they need to be torn down and cleaned, so I figured I would hack one as Geoff mentions. I have had no luck finding a wiring diagram for this. I found pin outs and one wiring diagram but no mods to CV.

Thanks

Hey Geoff or anyone who knows, I recently picked up a couple of 3 button Genesis controllers in an auction of misc crap and they need to be torn down and cleaned, so I figured I would hack one as Geoff mentions. I have had no luck finding a wiring diagram for this. I found pin outs and one wiring diagram but no mods to CV.

Thanks
    Hi there, for my mod i added a 9 pin connecter to the bottom of the colecovision controller and wired it to the solder points on the board.
    This allows you to keep the functionality of the keypad and use a different controller.
    The megadrive pad needs to have the chip removed and the wires soldered to the appropriate points.
    You also need to cut/separate the ground of one button and connect its ground to a separate wire.
    This is only required for some games that use the coleco's 2 buttons for separate functions, eg defender
    I know this makes little sense as its a quick explanation but if you pm me i'll do my best to help.

You should be able to just rewire the megadrive pad and plug it into controller port 1, plug the coleco controller into port 2 and use it start the games etc

As a point of interest, you can use a 2600 contoller, master system pad and quite a few other joysticks using the above method.
    It justs means you limited to 1 button but this cover over 90% of coleco games.

Geoff.