Thread: Tech Question: Cleaning Arcade buttons

Default Tech Question: Cleaning Arcade buttons

Hey Subaru, here's a quick tech question for you.

I have an old Pelican Real Arcade Stick. It's got sticky buttons so I opened the panel to remove and clean them. First time I do this so, is there a special wrench that is recommended to remove the nuts? I am using some standard pliers but I'm afraid to break something.

Also, how tight should these nuts be? Should I tight them real good? Or should I screw them in a way that I can unscrew them with own hand?

Blog Entries

I don't think Scott speaks Engrish but he should be able to tell what you mean anyway.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Holy crap. I just read that and it looks awful!

I was in a hurry, didn't care to go back and clean it up.

Blog Entries

You can take the migrant out of Mexico, but you can't take the Mexican out of the migrant...........................
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I'm sure someone can point you to a supplier in the US but I use one of these Push button wrenches

Just hand tighten it with that and all should be good

"I was in a hurry, didn't care to go back and clean it up." <-- this is a fairly good motto for life.
    Twitter[/COLOR]
    "The penalty for failure is video death"

Blog Entries

I gave up on those wrenches early on, usually you have a switch or wireharness right in the way and it is just easier to use something else. Hand tightening can tend to loosen over time, I use a pair of channel locks expanded out to match the button.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

While on topic. I have another question.

So I opened up this Pelican Real Arcade Stick and inside, all microswitches have the leads soldered to the terminals.

Is that how actual arcade cabs have these? Or are leads normally clamped using connectors? These solder points look weak. One of them fell off actually and I need to solder it again.

Blog Entries

On any commercial product such as a coin op video game, redemption, pinball etc. the best practice is to make it field repairable by using push on connectors. Of course some manufacturers did shortcut and soldered but the majority used push on. For a consumer product it is more cost effective to solder than to use push on connectors, and the product is intended to be disposable rather than repairable so soldering is what they do. Complicating this is the fact that your average third world assembly line worker has about a 2 min. training session in soldering and those products are full of examples of the worst kind of quality. Cold solder joints, no tinning, wicking, etc. you name it they do it.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Yeah, I got this Pelican stick for about $50 over 5 years ago. It's not the best but it has authentic arcade parts. I never used it too much but now with Super Street Fighter 4 on the 360 i got it out of the closet and started playing with it.

I also have an X-Arcade Tankstick which is much better made, but for that I require a different adapter which I don't have.