Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung Q1: Possible viable portable emulation unit?

Working on the review now, part 1 should be posted within a couple days. This review is gonna be given in the retro gaming perspective, how to use it as a PORTABLE (not handheld....sigh) retro gaming machine. Actually, you CAN use the onboard controls for basic games and retro RPGs that don't require fine control, but I wouldnt recommend it for Mario Bros.....the onboard controls aren't responsive enough. A Gamepad is a must.

Video 1: Hardware rundown and specs of the Q1
    Video 2: Recommended accessories (external HD, Gamepad, and a 3G mobile internet connection)
    Video 3: Software part 1 (recommended OS and software for functionality)
    Video 4: Software part 2 (console emulation)
    Video 5: Software part 3 (arcade emulation, this video may be updated later as my Mame Roms are old, from the .86 set, gonna pick up the newest .136 set soonish)
    Video 6: Viewer/Forum Q/A Requests (answering questions from forum members and viewers, I always get a few questions)

Video Unknown: Pinball Emulation (I don't have the PinMAME ROMS yet, will prolly order a DVD from romcollector.com for ease of time and my satellite download threshhold)

Unfortunately, for new ROMS and for my PinMame ROMS it looks like I gotta order discs from romcollector.com, as my satellite internet limits what I can download, unless a fellow forum member is willing to burn and ship me some DVDs at cost of discs and shipping.

Sorry i have just seen your posts (not been on the forums much, been playing a lot on the Pandora and trying to catch up on Fringe ), i have pinmame and roms but they are about two years out of date, you might be better off going to website and downloading them, if not let me know and we could sort something out.

Sorry I haven't checked up on this post in awhile. I'm finally getting around to getting a good chunk of work done on this review. Part 1 has been up for a few weeks, and Part 2 is being uploaded as we speak.

I bought a DVD of Visual Pinmame, and it kinda-sorta works on the Q1. Performance is more or less fine, but the problem is screen resolution. The table actually covers up the scoreboards and whatnot. Kinda usable, but kinda disappointing too.

On a brighter note, Mame works great, at least with my older .87 romset. CHD games are a no-go, but stuff like Marvel vs. Capcom, Metal Slug, and Mortal Kombat 3 run fine. I'll prolly just give up and order the newest Mame set from the same guy I got the Pinmame from, although I still think 30 bucks may be a bit steep.

At least my limited internet prob might be solved. I use Virgin Mobile for my internet access when I am working or abroad, who used to charge 60 bucks for 5 gigs a month. Well, there's been some plan restructuring, and now they are charging 40 bucks for "unlimited" access. Early adopters saw that they had a limit of 400 gig (not a typo, four hundred gig) but now the counter just says unlimited instead of 400 gig. Even I couldn't download that much in a month, so since I was paying 60 a month for 5 gigs, we'll give this 40 dollar unlimited plan a try. Might just get rid of my Wild Blue satellite connection.

hello mate, i am going to check out your review in just a bit, i thought you might like link to a guy i buy my mame roms from, the deal is pretty good al bit cheaper then thirty bucks.

http://www.us-lazarus.com/rom-burner/sets/index.shtml

they have laser disc game dvd's for both daphne and mame but they cost a bit more.

Glad you are getting this internet problem sort, my internet is connected to my mobile phone contract, i have a contract with the mobile phone company orange here in the uk, and part of the deal at the time was, i get a free psp, a free phone, and later because my contract was over 35 a month i got free unlimited internet to which i abuse ALOT!!!.

Have you tried some sort of vectrex emulator on there, because one of the things that really pissed me when i had one of these tablet pc's (briefly) was that it could not play java vectrex with out stutter, so i took it back to the shop and got my money back. That was about three or four years ago now.

No, I haven't tried Vectrix emulation yet. I'll prolly throw that one in the Viewers Questions part of the review. So far I've only uploaded parts 1 and 2, which part 1 gives hardware specs and part 2 is accessories you need to have for it. Part 3 is prolly coming next week or the week after, and starts up the console emulation vid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12