Thread: Your very first game?

Default Your very first game?

I've been wondering about this. Surely all of us have bought countless games. I know that I have been buying games for nearly all of my life, and I have no doubt that the rest of you have as well.

So where did you begin? What was the very first game that you bought, and what did you think of it? Was it the game that launched you on a hobby of a lifetime, or a stumbling block on the way to discovering videogaming joy?

My first was Imagic's "Beauty and the Beast" for the Intellivision.

It's sort of a cross between Donkey Kong and Crazy Climber. I clearly recall being incredibly frustrated with it on the first day. I couldn't get past the first floor without dying. However, it being my one and only game, I kept at it.

It wasn't long before I was merrily zipping up the building, throwing the Beast down to the ground at will. There was an Easter Egg in the game that I found as well. If you pressed the right button on the Beast falling screen, the programmer's initials appeared on the top floor of the building.

This was exciting at the time.

I can't honest;y say that it started me out as a gamer - that didn't happen until I moved to the Commodore 64 and discovered Infocom text adventures - but it was a start, and thinking about it now, I realise that I have quite a lot less patience for games that frustrate me. I doubt that I would give it more than ten minutes today before giving up. Spoiled by choice, I suppose.
    Last edited by Gordon Bennett; 11-05-10 at 04:05. Reason: removed bad image link

Nice post, I've still got my copy of Beauty and the Beast, it's a fun game.

For me it was the incredibly common Combat on the 2600. Invisible tanks and ricochet bullets FTW.

The first game I bought was my brother, sister and I all chipping in to get Astrosmash for the Inty. The family got an Intellivision for Christmas - I don't remember which games, but it Poker & Black Jack was the pack-in, and I remember playing Horse Racing and NBA Basketball (my parents were big college basketball fans). One of those would be the first games I played at home. I probably played something in an arcade before that.

Beauty & The Beast is a great game, and I've still got my copy from back in the day as well. Imagic did all kinds of wonderful stuff on the Inty.

Blog Entries

I don't know if it was my very FIRST game, but it's the earliest one I can remember. It's an all ASCII Pac-Man game for DOS that came out in '82 called Pac-Gal. Yeah, it's an early DOS game ... but it's still a hell of a lot of fun. Tons of dots being that it's in ASCII and it almost completely fills the screen. Just ... if you play it ... turn the volume down.

http://wastedseconds.com/?p=417
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Blog Entries

The first game I remember playing was Batman for the NES. The game/games I bought that got me into gaming were Dino Crisis and Resident Evil 3 for the PlayStation One. Before that I would really only play games casually. Normally college football games.

I got quite a few firsts here....

First game played: Combat (Atari 2600)
    First console bought from store: NES (the Atari was given to me)
    First game bought: Joust (NES)
    First game beat: Super Mario Bros.
    First arcade game played: Wrestlefest
    First arcade game beat: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (with 3 other guys, none of us knew each other, we just united with many quarters for a common cause)

hey leathco, is your name a reference to coleco starting out as a leather company?