• Columns

1 4.55%
  • Space Harrier 3-D

2 9.09%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4/10 Top-10 Sega Master System Games

Blog Entries

yeah good point about Jet Set Willy.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I find it quite interesting to see that Phantasy Star has run away with this poll. In the SMS collecting community it would just about make it in to the top 5. It's certainly far better than it's peers, but I don't think the genre has aged that well. I would say the Wonder Boy games, Sonic, Alex Kidd in Miracle World and the Disney games have all aged better.

Columns is a pretty strange pick though. The SMS isn't exactly over run with great puzzle games, but that doesn't mean it deserves to even be mentioned for the top tier of games on the system.

I think there is probably a strong transatlantic divide when it comes to how people perceive the system. The SMS was much more popular in Europe and grew beyond the early arcade offerings, but most of the games didn't make it to the states.

Jammajup Guest

I am not a fan of Phantasy Star to be honest as i was playing real RPG games in the 8-bit era like D&D AD&D MiddleEarth,etc so i did not see the point of such games unless you had few friends or something,but i know and respect the fact that PS is popular.
    If you are part of the SMS scene you obviously know of Sega 8-bit forum which last year had these awesome play-off polls in which games would be randomly drawn to Vs each other,each poll had a time limit and the winning title would pass on to be randomly drawn out for the next round.I did expect Phantasy Star to get quite far despite my own opinion but it was knocked out in Round 3 12/16 when it was unluckily drawn out against Castle Of Illusion. (Ouch!).
    For the record and for people not from 8-bit forum after 9 months ,295 games and 61 polls Alex Kidd in Miracle World defeated Sonic 17/15 in the Final

Quote Originally Posted by Jammajup View Post
    I am not a fan of Phantasy Star to be honest as i was playing real RPG games in the 8-bit era like D&D AD&D MiddleEarth,etc so i did not see the point of such games unless you had few friends or something,but i know and respect the fact that PS is popular.
    If you are part of the SMS scene you obviously know of Sega 8-bit forum which last year had these awesome play-off polls in which games would be randomly drawn to Vs each other,each poll had a time limit and the winning title would pass on to be randomly drawn out for the next round.I did expect Phantasy Star to get quite far despite my own opinion but it was knocked out in Round 3 12/16 when it was unluckily drawn out against Castle Of Illusion. (Ouch!).
    For the record and for people not from 8-bit forum after 9 months ,295 games and 61 polls Alex Kidd in Miracle World defeated Sonic 17/15 in the Final
    I actually helped out with the Sega 8-Bit tournament from time to time. In fact I made a quick trailer for it ages ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u3Lp_pGK5Q

In the end I think there was over 1500 votes cast, which is pretty impressive given the size of the audience. The tournament generated a lot a great discussion too, especially during the Castle of Illusion Vs Phantasy Star poll. Castle of Illusion really won it quite easily in the end, which really highlights that Phantasy Star isn't as popular as some people think. It didn't actually blow the compeittion away in the prior rounds either. Of course I'm still annoyed that Wonder Boy III lost out to the eventual winner by a single vote, especially since it was leading by a vote until the last hour of the poll.

Jammajup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by meu2 View Post
    I actually helped out with the Sega 8-Bit tournament from time to time. In fact I made a quick trailer for it ages ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u3Lp_pGK5Q

In the end I think there was over 1500 votes cast, which is pretty impressive given the size of the audience. The tournament generated a lot a great discussion too, especially during the Castle of Illusion Vs Phantasy Star poll. Castle of Illusion really won it quite easily in the end, which really highlights that Phantasy Star isn't as popular as some people think. It didn't actually blow the compeittion away in the prior rounds either. Of course I'm still annoyed that Wonder Boy III lost out to the eventual winner by a single vote, especially since it was leading by a vote until the last hour of the poll.
    I have not seen that video before,i have just made my own vid to promote my retro game polls and it looks a little silly after looking at yours lol,(i have liked and subscribed).I am user `Robocod` on sega 8-bit and normally check all the forums i am a member of the first week of every month as there are over 20 and it can take me up to three days but during these polls i was checking sega-8 every day but i did miss the early stages.I was voting and rooting for my fav titles but to be honest they were not always destined to win such as Robocod,R-type,Robocop Vs Terminator and Ghouls `n Ghosts was the one i wanted to win overall but no chance really.
    I did really enjoy the polls, the `knockout` format was a good idea and this is why i like polls so much as it works better than asking for peoples opinion and then scrolling through 8 pages of responses in the thread,the poll is a visual display of the peoples opinion right there-nice and easy. 8)

Thanks for the sub; subbed to your channel too I'll have to check the polls out on your site.

I'm curious why Ghouls 'n Ghosts is your favourite SMS title? It's a good game and one that probably doesn't get the attention it deserves, but it's not normally considered one of the best the system has to offer.

Jammajup Guest

To be honest i think it is not only the fact it is a reasonable port but also it is different in its own way as there is a shop where you can purchase your equipment which has been done before of course endless times in other games but it was just a surprise to see while playing this,i believe the Sms is the only version of Ghouls that has the shop feature.I seem to enjoy this version as i find it plays a little easier mostly due to lack of sprites on screen i guess and although nowhere near as good technically as Robocod and R-type which are awesome i find i still keep coming back to G`n G.As retro gamer`s we understand graphics are not everything of course and i do find every so often games come along that just get inside my head and i keep coming back to them even though they may be lacking in some departments,this is definitely one of those.

The shop aspect of GnG is pretty novel alright. I always wish the game player a little faster though, it just feels a little sluggish.
    I actually really like Robocod. It's another example of a late title that really showed what the system could do. Games like Desert Strike, Robocop Vs Terminator, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Road Rash and Robocod showed how the SMS was still holding it's own well into the 16 bit era.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234