• Columns

1 4.55%
  • Space Harrier 3-D

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/10 Top-10 Sega Master System Games

Blog Entries

Default 4/10 Top-10 Sega Master System Games

We debated the top-10 Sega Master System games this month. Vote on our picks and also suggest your favorite Sega Master System games and why.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World...

Man I haven't played the SMS in so long, I forget what games were even out for it, in fact Alex Kidd is the only one I really remember playing (well except HangOn/Safari Hunt)
    Oh Yeah, Double Dragon too, and how much better it was on SMS than Nintendo...

Had to go with Phantasy Star. I remember the reams of graph paper I had to use to make the maps to beat this one. The graphics put the NES to shame.

Blog Entries

The BEST game on that list? Definitely Phantasy Star. I started playing that recently on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the 360 (which is stopped for now because I'm getting rid of the 360 version in favor of the PS3 version once I get the system out of layaway. Sony has a directional pad that actually WORKS.), and the level of complexity and the sheer size of the game is astounding considering the time coupled with awesome graphics, sound and playability. I played it a little bit on the actual system back when I had it, but I didn't get an SMS until I was well into my 20's and those games are pretty hard to go back to. But now I'm on a kick where I want to play the 8 bit/16 bit Phantasy Star games. :P

My FAVORITE game out of that list? Definitely Outrun, so that gets my vote. Great arcade conversion of an awesome game, the closest I had when I was a kid was Rad Racer (which is still an awesome game).

And, for the record, even to this DAY I absolutely HATE Columns. I don't know why. I just can't stand that game. lol

R*Type almost got my vote ... good game just I'm not that into horizontal shooters. They just feel weird to me. Afterburner didn't go over so well on the Genesis let alone the SMS.

I would've personally put Altered Beast on there though. It certainly doesn't deserve a top spot by any means, but it's still a really cool game. :P
    Last edited by Dhalamar; 13-04-10 at 02:08.
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Lots of great games to choose from, but I have to go with Phantasy Star. One of the greatest 8-bit game of all times. I replayed it on the GBA collection and it was just as fun as it was back in the day. It has aged beautifully. Just a stunning game all around.

Nice to see Ghost House mentioned. A lot of people pan that game, but I always loved it.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire73; 13-04-10 at 03:44.

Another guy here who thinks phantasy star should be at the top, followed by space harrier and after burner. The former game was astounding for an 8 bit rpg, and the latter two were just awesome arcade ports. My number four would have to be rtype.

Columns was a crap puzzle game to me, just an attempt by sega to cash in on nintendos tetris craze. I hated it. Never understood why it keeps getting rereleased from the 6 pak carts to all these sega licensed collections.

Never knew castle of illusion made an 8 bit release. I love the 16 bit genesis version. Fantastic music, especially for the boss fights!

R-Type was an amazing arcade port, too, and deserves to be in the list. Shinobi would have been in my short list as well - one of the best arcade ports ever, and an incredible achievement for an 8-bit machine. Too bad no one picked Penguin Land. It was a unique action-puzzler that let you create your own levels and save them with the battery backup. Just a great game all-around. My other sleeper pick would be Rescue Mission - the best light gun game on the system with the best light gun games ever. It was pretty original, and tons of fun. Definitely worth checking out.

If I were choosing I'd kick out James Pond & Impossible Mission. Both games had already seen better days elsewhere. Not that they're bad games per se, but they just don't scream "Master System" to me. With so many stunning originals and arcade ports, they wouldn't be anywhere near my list. Can't wait to hear you guys throw down, I'm sure it was a fight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire73 View Post
    Can't wait to hear you guys throw down, I'm sure it was a fight.
    I'm kinda waiting to see what gets voted out and why. :P
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Blog Entries

What's with all the Phantasy Star love? Urrgh!
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    What's with all the Phantasy Star love? Urrgh!
    How can you hate on a game with a boss named Dark Phallus?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast