Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFD games - why didn't they stay around?

Blog Entries

That looks pretty cool MaximumRD. I've noticed quite a lack of reviews of these old VFD games on youtube. So keep up the good work! I myself recently picked up and reviewed a really cool VFD game the Tomy Lupin. Do you have this one? I believe it is one of the more common ones but pretty awesome nonetheless. Check it out:

I bought it from Socal. LOL.
    Last edited by indieseoul; 31-01-12 at 01:20.

Thanks! I really LOVE VFD games and think they are a great part of portable gaming history that is much over looked. Much like the 2600 and many other older methods I really feel a lot of ingenuity and great imagination were used to get the most out of these devices! A lost art indeed! VFD is like nothing before of after it and you are right there is not a lot of coverage on Youtube so I definitely will post anything I get. Love that one you have!

I had one of the VFD coleco games back in the 80s. Frogger. I played that baby all the way across the country from Nevada to Iowa during a family vacation. MaximumRD, love your videos. so much fascinating stuff.

Yeah I have Frogger (several different versions), Lupin and a couple of Amidars too. A heck of a lot more besides, but yes Lupin is a lot of fun and Amidar is awesome if you ever come across one. Been looking for a DigDug forever

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    Yeah I have Frogger (several different versions), Lupin and a couple of Amidars too. A heck of a lot more besides, but yes Lupin is a lot of fun and Amidar is awesome if you ever come across one. Been looking for a DigDug forever
    Lupin? Is it based (loosely I'm sure if it's VFD) on the laser disc Lupin game? You should post up some video of that, I'd love to see it. The thing I love about these games is that although they are similar in gameplay to the LCD games by tiger they had a lot more fluidity and color, at least the Frogger I had did. My buddy Miles here at work has a VFD pac man that is jsut great. Superior in many ways to the home conversions of the time (well except maybe KC Munchkin).

the Lupin vid is posted above by indiesoul

Yeah the tiger etc LCD games are kinda crappy in comparison. These games just "feel" great, hard to explain without playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    I probably have somewhere between 50 and 75 of them stashed away...

Here's a little clip of a young RetroShaun at the VFD store:

Blog Entries

All of the Lupin games were inspired by the Japanese manga series known as Lupin the third. I never read the manga but I really enjoy playing my Lupin VFD game. Make sure you check out the video I posted in this thread of some game play and also what one of these look like when you take them apart. The D-pad on mine was so dirty that it wouldn't hardly move up and left without pressing really hard. After cleaning out the decades old grime from the button pad and swabbing the contacts with alcohol it now works perfectly. These little machines were made to last!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurmix View Post

Here's a little clip of a young RetroShaun at the VFD store:

Thats fairly accurate but I usually don't say please

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12