Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What computer did you own or wish to own

I worked all summer to earn the $600 I would spend on a TRS-80 Level I with 4K of memory. I believe this was 1978 and I was 13 years old. The following summer I would work to earn another $400 or something like that to upgrade the memory from 4K to 16K. Now I could do some serious stuff with all that memory! 8-) I still have it tucked away in a corner of my basement. When I last moved it about 10 years ago it fired right up and I was able to load a program from one of the cassette tapes. Those were great times.

Did anyone subscribe to Creative Computing magazine? Or SoftSide? I would check the mailbox every day hoping for a new issue...much like I check for a new Retrogaming Roundup show. Maybe things haven't changed all that much for me in 30 years...

Dave in Des Moines
    Last edited by spauldingd; 11-09-10 at 06:24.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spauldingd View Post
    I worked all summer to earn the $600 I would spend on a TRS-80 Level I with 4K of memory. I believe this was 1978 and I was 13 years old. The following summer I would work to earn another $400 or something like that to upgrade the memory from 4K to 16K. Now I could do some serious stuff with all that memory! 8-) I still have it tucked away in a corner of my basement. When I last moved it about 10 years ago it fired right up and I was able to load a program from one of the cassette tapes. Those were great times.

Did anyone subscribe to Creative Computing magazine? Or SoftSide? I would check the mailbox every day hoping for a new issue...much like I check for a new Retrogaming Roundup show. Maybe things haven't changed all that much for me in 30 years...

Dave in Des Moines
    Hey Dave,

Glad to see your post. Hope there is more to come. Welcome!

Blog Entries

I wanted an Amstrad CPC 464 for some time and finally got my hands on my friends one when he had enough of it. There was something that felt special about the system with its green monochrome screen. I only had a small collection of games but the 2 i played and remember the most where Oh Mummy! and Fruit Machine. Both games had me hooked and would regulary play into the early hours of the morning trying to get the highest score on Oh Mummy and how quick i could hit the jackpot on the fruit machine. Sadly my system died on me and being only 9/10 at the time i chucked it out and intended to replace it but it never came. Looking back i think it was something simple where the pins on the monitor connector needed cutting off and a new one replacing. I bet any electrician would have done this for 10 back in the day but oh well.....

Blog Entries

One of my girlfriends had one back in the day and I would play with both of them when I went round there.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

Haha nice one!

I never paid much attention to PC gaming until the late 90s as until then they was out of my parents price bracket to get me one. My first proper pc was a celeron 366, 64mb ram, 4gb hard disk on windows 98 SE. It felt like a dream machine at the time!

I started computing back in 1985 with an Atari 800XL (yes, the ugly darkbrown one) and cassette-recorder. I spent ages writing little music routines in basic. I also recorded music on the right channel of the programtapes, with on the left audiochannel the software soundtrack, which resulted in having music being played while loading in my programs. I guess the atari 800xl is responsible for my carreer as a software engineer....

In 1988 I layed my eyes on the Commodore Amiga (a 500 model) for the first time. I was sold. Within three months I gathered enough money to fund my dream machine. I finally could make decent music! Karsten Obarski's soundtracker was on the screen day in, day out. I used my Amiga 500 (and 500 plus machine after the first one broke down) up until 1995. That year I made the switch to the PC world. PC's finally had catched up. With tears in my eyes I trashed my broken Amiga 500 plus back in 1998 eventually. Luckily, I can still enjoy the huge library of software that was released for the Amiga through the use of winUAE, getting a small glimpse of emulated hardware which had a soul.

Oh the memories

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123