• Scott - Solaris

0 0%
  • SoCal - Adventure

4 9.76%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/10 Top-10 Atari 2600 Games

Blog Entries

Default 2/10 Top-10 Atari 2600 Games

February we are kicking off our "Top-10" games debates. Starting with the Atari 2600 and working our way to the Dreamcast throughout the year. Let the debates begin!

What! We only get one vote? I gave it to Yar's Revenge but Kaboom! should have another vote as well. Megamania is an awesome game too. I guess I'll have to pick up a copy of Spiderman as everyone keeps raving about it. Venture I play on the Colecovision. That's the other game I can basically play forever.

Nick

This is as hard as trying to pick which is my favorite kid... baaah, I've already changed my mind three times...
    I guess a 10 way tie for first is out of the question

leathco Guest

Missle command. Love the gameplay and the nuclear holocaust sound effect.

That a difficult one! So many great ones on that list...but I have to go with Adventure. Pitfall 2 is right up there but Adventure has more classic gaming memories for me.

Every single game on that list is fantastic. I'm quite looking forward to hearing the three of you hash out the specific top ten - I expect blood on the microphones.

Me, I went with Pitfall 2, by a razor thin margin. The sheer massive scope of the game on the humble 2600 is an incredible achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWolfJC View Post
    This is as hard as trying to pick which is my favorite kid... baaah, I've already changed my mind three times...
    I guess a 10 way tie for first is out of the question

For me the only answer was HERO. Since I first played it, back in the day, I’ve always thought it stood out head and shoulders above all the other games around. In fact it’d be in my top 10 8-bit games not just 2600 games.

Just the way the guy’s legs look like 2 snakes is cool for a start. Also the game has a great difficulty curve and that illusive “one more go” quality. It is a prime example of those elegantly simple games were very few game play elements add up to something much more. I.e. the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I love the idea of blowing things up with sticks of dynamite and shooting huge spiders with my eye laser too .

I picked Kaboom! Out of all the 2600 games I played back in the day, Kaboom! was the one I thought was the best. Megamania is a very close second though. I never played H.E.R.O. when it came out, I only got familiar with it when I bought the Activision Anthology for the PS2. I have to admit that I thought it was as good, if not better, than all the rave reviews I saw for it. But I still like Kaboom! the best.

Funspot72

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Funspot72 View Post
    I picked Kaboom! Out of all the 2600 games I played back in the day, Kaboom! was the one I thought was the best. Megamania is a very close second though. I never played H.E.R.O. when it came out, I only got familiar with it when I bought the Activision Anthology for the PS2. I have to admit that I thought it was as good, if not better, than all the rave reviews I saw for it. But I still like Kaboom! the best.

Funspot72
    Ya, another vote for KABOOM!

Can't wait to hear the debate - I don't know how I'd narrow down my own personal top 5. Of what's listed, I went with Missile Command - it was such a great port of the arcade classic. One of the very best on the console. Great difficulty curve, great graphics, great controls... just super fun all around.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast