View Poll Results: Top 10 Game Anthologies/Compilations

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Williams Arcade Greatest Hits - SNES/Sony Playstation

4 14.81%
  • Intellivision Lives - Nintendo DS (Release Forthcoming)

2 7.41%
  • Taito Legends - PS2/Xbox/PC

0 0%
  • Activision Action Pak #1 - PC

1 3.70%
  • Activision Anthology - Game Boy Advance

5 18.52%
  • Capcom Generations - Sony Playstation (European Release)

0 0%
  • Arcade Classics - Atari Arcade/Mame

0 0%
  • The Pinball Hall of Fame - Gottlieb Collection - PSP

1 3.70%
  • Intellivision Lives - PS2/Xbox

2 7.41%
  • Ultimate Card Games - Game Boy Advance

0 0%
  • Namco Museum Vols 1-5 - Sony Playstation

1 3.70%
  • Williams Pinball Collection - Nintendo Wii

2 7.41%
  • Ultimate Brain Games - Game Boy Advance

0 0%
  • Super Mario All-Stars - SNES

5 18.52%
  • Konami Classics: Arcade Hits - Nintendo DS

1 3.70%
  • Atari Flashback 2 - Plug N' Play

3 11.11%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1/10 Top-10 Anthologies/Compilations

Blog Entries

That is one nice cart! I run both it and a german one that uses jumpers to select the game. The Kelley cart almost never leaves my Vectrex. What we really need is someone to make an overlay pack with ALL the overlays.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Can't wait to hear this debate when it is made available. I am sure it is going to be heated to say the least.
    The Phoenix will be revealed soon...

Blog Entries

Should be in the next week or so.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Funspot72 View Post
    I always liked Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits on the PS1, great arcade games (Defender, Stargate, Robotron,...etc). Followed a close second by Activision Anthology on PS2 (the system I played it on). Not only did it have a lot of the Activision 2600 titles and some Imagic and others mixed in, but also 80's music in the background. It was cool playing Megamania while listening to "Walking In L.A." by Missing Persons.

"Intellivision presents, B17 Bomber!"
    Funspot72
    I forgot about the 80's soundtrack on the PS2 version and the inclusion of the Imagic games. That was a great comp, but I still like the handheld version played on the GBA better. But I wish instead of adding some of the misc homebrew games they would have added the Imagic lineup. That would have been epic.

Capcom Classics collection is nothing to sniff at either. I have it here at work on my original xbox. many a lunch break has been spent with 1942, ghouls and ghosts, and forgotten worlds.

Just looked at the list!

Haven't even listened yet and I'm already a foaming at the mouth forum troll!

TWO pinball games in the top 5?! Not just the usual one, but 2?

Come on guys! Intellivision lives didn't make the top 10?

No Capcom Classics collection?

ULTIMATE BRAIN AND CARD GAMES>?! That beat out intellivision lives? Jeez!

All this pinball and no PC collections...no Lucas Arts Archive Vol. I or the Sierra Space Quest / Kings Quest Collection.

What about the Kilrathi Saga Collection for the wing commander buffs out there, surely one of those games is better than Ultimate Brain and Card games...yeesh!

Oh, and I also heard you guys bag on the Data East Collection, what gives!

Secret Agent, Burger Time and it's sequel, bad dudes, caveman ninja, magical drop, burnin' rubber! Come on those are all classics!

You don't deserve the bouncy Magical Drop gif, but I'm posting it here in jiggly protest:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teknohed View Post
    Just looked at the list!

Haven't even listened yet and I'm already a foaming at the mouth forum troll!

TWO pinball games in the top 5?! Not just the usual one, but 2?

ULTIMATE BRAIN AND CARD GAMES>?! That beat out intellivision lives? Jeez!

All this pinball and no PC collections...no Lucas Arts Archive Vol. I or the Sierra Space Quest / Kings Quest Collection.

What about the Kilrathi Saga Collection for the wing commander buffs out there, surely one of those games is better than Ultimate Brain and Card games...yeesh!

Secret Agent, Burger Time and it's sequel, bad dudes, caveman ninja, magical drop, burnin' rubber! Come on those are all classics!

You don't deserve the bouncy Magical Drop gif, but I'm posting it here in jiggly protest:

Feel free to post the "jiggly" anytime you want. She's HOT! Except for that third eye. And I do agree with you on a few of your points. And I did mention Infocom Classic on the PC as a runner up

Blog Entries

TWO pinball games in the top 5?
    Have you played them though? Both are worthy of their place.

It almost did but SoCal cited a version that isn't even out yet...............

Bought it, played it, sold it, haven't missed it.

ULTIMATE BRAIN AND CARD GAMES?!
    Absolutely, you Americans need to get yourselves an edumercation.

They got an honourable mention.

Nope.

Burger Time is one of my all time faves, but it doesn't rescue an otherwise poor collection.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

leathco Guest

I posted my thoughts somewhere else but I'll recap here.

Mario All-Stars I wish were higher. Four incredibly strong games in one cart, back in the era it was released, was astounding, especially with the graphical enhancements. Shame the originals weren't there too, but still an incredibly strong title, almost as great as All-Stars + World (the version I have.) That boosts it to FIVE classic mario games in an era where you usually only got a single game (well, there was always Action 52.....)

I'm A-OK with the Williams Pinball being way up there. The PSP version rocks! I gotta try out that other one....

Oh yea, I too am surprised at the lack of one of the Capcom collections. I have a couple of those for PSP (I think there are only two) and both were very, very solid.

I haven't seen that Wing Commander collection, I'll have to hunt it down. I played a TON of Wing Commander: Prophecy when I got my first up to date computer back in the late 90's (every PC I had beforehand was used and rather outdated).

Talking

I should check these forums earlier in the month, before you guys start doing these. I would have had a few suggestions...

Midway Arcade Treasures 1: This is kind of an anthology of previous anthologies. It combines the Arcade Party Pack with the previous Williams and Midway arcade collections. It's one gigantic retro collection for the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. You want your Defender? You got your Defender. You want to Toobin'? Bam, it's there. Klax? It ain't the nineties, but there's always time for Klax. You also got Joust 1 and 2, Root Beer Tapper, Gauntlet, Rampage, Smash TV, and bunch more. You name it, it's there.

On a list compiled by me, this would be #1.

Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2: There are two of these, but I like the second one, because it has more side-scrolling beat-em-ups, like Strider and Knights Of The Round.

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology: Because they rock. But you have to kinda be a Street Fighter fanatic. Forgivably absent, I guess.

Sega Genesis Collection and/or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection: Now, I haven't gotten to the top ten portion of your show yet, but I'm sure I'm going to hear a VERY good reason as to why neither of these are on the list.

Sonic Jam and/or Sonic Mega Collection: Same thing. Both are conspicuously absent. Sonic Jam is a compilation for the Saturn, probably most notable for putting Sonic 2's spindash move into Sonic 1. The latter has a few more games, including Ristar, which is nothing to sneeze at.

----

Didn't SNK also have a Neo Geo collection for the PS2? I want that so badly.

I do heartily approve of Super Mario All-Stars being on this list. Bonus points if you guys mentioned the one that includes Super Mario World on the same cart. That cart almost never comes out of my SNES console, unless I happen to find a new RPG or something.

...so I have compiled a list of classic arcade/home console game collections that should be made:

4) The Virtual Boy Experience--What a collection this would be. Play "Mario Tennis" in all it's red and black graphic glory. Only drawback is no headaches, which kind of takes a little away from the "Virtual Boy Experience."
    With 3DTV coming up on us, this would be a natural collection to make. However, I would hope that Nintendo would have the good sense to NOT showcase the games in the headache-inducing red hue.

I would buy it just to have Wario Land VB. I can't really think of any other game that I'd actually want to play on that console.

5) Phillips CD-i Wonderfully Classic Gaming Parade--Like the title, this collection is a winner! Why not with games like, "Legend Of Zelda: Wand of Gamelon" and "Hotel Mario". Any collection with a Mario and not one, not two, but 3 Zelda games must be a great collection, right?
    Nintendo would NEVER let them do that, but it would be funny, nonetheless.

I would love to either see a Rick Dyer/Don Bluth collection (Space Ace, Dragon's Lair 1 & 2, and Thayer's Quest), or a Digital Pictures collection (Night Trap, Corpse Killer, Sewer Shark, Prize Fighter, and Supreme Warrior). Sure, these are all FMV games, but most of have a total video run time of about ten-to-fifteen minutes. You could easily get a bunch of these onto a Blu Ray disc or even a standard DVD.

In in my wildest dreams, I'd love to see an anthology comprised of Sega CD games, if only to get Shining Force CD and Dark Wizard onto a console that's worth a damn. It could also include Sonic CD, Eternal Champions, and the enhanced soundtrack versions of Ecco 1 and 2. And maybe as an unlockable, they could include the shitty Sega CD version of Golden Axe, which has no 2-player mode. Unfortunately, there could never be such a collection, because it would be mostly comprised of all of those FMV games that Sega invested in. Eh... At least we got Sonic CD on the Gamecube.
    Last edited by TV's Mr. Neil; 27-01-10 at 02:24. Reason: Added an addition comment and response

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast