View Poll Results: Top 10 Game Anthologies/Compilations

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Williams Arcade Greatest Hits - SNES/Sony Playstation

4 14.81%
  • Intellivision Lives - Nintendo DS (Release Forthcoming)

2 7.41%
  • Taito Legends - PS2/Xbox/PC

0 0%
  • Activision Action Pak #1 - PC

1 3.70%
  • Activision Anthology - Game Boy Advance

5 18.52%
  • Capcom Generations - Sony Playstation (European Release)

0 0%
  • Arcade Classics - Atari Arcade/Mame

0 0%
  • The Pinball Hall of Fame - Gottlieb Collection - PSP

1 3.70%
  • Intellivision Lives - PS2/Xbox

2 7.41%
  • Ultimate Card Games - Game Boy Advance

0 0%
  • Namco Museum Vols 1-5 - Sony Playstation

1 3.70%
  • Williams Pinball Collection - Nintendo Wii

2 7.41%
  • Ultimate Brain Games - Game Boy Advance

0 0%
  • Super Mario All-Stars - SNES

5 18.52%
  • Konami Classics: Arcade Hits - Nintendo DS

1 3.70%
  • Atari Flashback 2 - Plug N' Play

3 11.11%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1/10 Top-10 Anthologies/Compilations

Wow, I forgot all about Super Mario All Stars, that's a good one. My top 5would be:

1. Activision Anthologies (GBA)
    2. Pinball HoF: Williams (Wii)
    3. Sega Genesis Collection (PS2)
    4. Namco Museum 1-5 (PS1)
    5. Konami Arcade Hits (DS)

I always liked Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits on the PS1, great arcade games (Defender, Stargate, Robotron,...etc). Followed a close second by Activision Anthology on PS2 (the system I played it on). Not only did it have a lot of the Activision 2600 titles and some Imagic and others mixed in, but also 80's music in the background. It was cool playing Megamania while listening to "Walking In L.A." by Missing Persons.

"Intellivision presents, B17 Bomber!"
    Funspot72

leathco Guest

Mario All Stars + World was godlike for a compilation during its time. No original versionsn was the only drawback, but the enhancements were awesome, the Lost Levels were awesome, and the game save ability was awesome.

Speaking of awesome, no one mentioned Williams Pinball Collection on PSP! A lot of classic pinballs I played for my first time on here, since pinball is a rarity here. Its rather odd going from Pinbot for NES to the version of Pinbot on the PSP Williams collection.

As far as just having a huge collection, a great one is Sonics Ultimate Genesis (Mega Drive) Collection. Over 40 games on this one, with a lot of unlockable bonus games too. Only negative was not having Lock-On capibilities for the Sonic games......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leathco View Post
    Speaking of awesome, no one mentioned Williams Pinball Collection on PSP! A lot of classic pinballs I played for my first time on here, since pinball is a ra
    The wii version is there, and we kind of lumped them together. I have played the PSP version and Scott has played the Wii version, so we discuss them both.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

leathco Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    The wii version is there, and we kind of lumped them together. I have played the PSP version and Scott has played the Wii version, so we discuss them both.
    Sorry, I didn't even notice the Wii version. I'm an idiot. Very glad that game got picked, I played the hell out of it to be able to buy free play on all the tables, and I like how the game explains to you what the goals of the table are. I haven't played a pinball video game like that since one that my grandma had on her old computer back when I was 4 or 5.....it might have been called Midnight Pinball.....it was on an old computer that ran DOS (no windows on this thing!) and I also remember that most of the game was colored black and purple and it was on a 5 inch disk instead of the smaller 3 inch. Heck, the only games I played on that thing was that pinball game and Family Feud.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leathco View Post
    .....it might have been called Midnight Pinball.....it was on an old computer that ran DOS
    Wasn't it David's Midnight Magic on C64?
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

leathco Guest

No, but I was off with the Midnight part. After I mentioned it in the other post I started doing some research online. Midnight Magic was close, but the screenshots didn't match what I remembered...not enough purple and not enough on the table....than I found Night Mission Pinball.....

Thats it! Night Mission Pinball was the game I wasted all that time on. Its got the little quarter taker on screen, you see the quarter go in, and than load up! Had four player modes and tilt too. It was made by SubLogic

I played the DOS version, but apparently it came out on Apple 2, Atari 8Bit, and the Commodore 64 too. I've STILL never played an original commodore, and can't find one in the wild around here, and refuse to pay shipping one of those beasts to my house. But I bought the C64 emulator on my iPod Touch and bought all the games so far so that I can get a feel for it ever since you guys started talking about it on the roundup.

Now I REALLY hope they release Night Mission for it!

Blog Entries

Download WinVice and get most Commodore systems all in one app.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Talking

I love most of the Anthologies and Classic Arcade or Console game collections out there currently, but there are some classic games/systems that don't get the respect they deserve, so I have compiled a list of classic arcade/home console game collections that should be made:

1) The Fairchild Channel F Anthology--Wouldn't it be great to play games like "Tic-Tac-Toe" and "Cat and Mouse" in all their ancient 1970's graphics' glory on your PS3 or Xbox 360?

2) The Entex Adventurevision Collection--Imagine playing all the games from this classic system...all 4 of them. At least they would have a lot of extra space on the disc for interviews, trivia, an "Entex Museum" (Like Namco's but the decor is a lot of red and black colors)

3) Microvision Mega Games--Play all of the Microvision's blocky graphic games on your DS or PSP, see where handhelds first got their start and stare in awe at games like "Connect Four" and "Mindbuster". Awesome!!!

4) The Virtual Boy Experience--What a collection this would be. Play "Mario Tennis" in all it's red and black graphic glory. Only drawback is no headaches, which kind of takes a little away from the "Virtual Boy Experience."

5) Phillips CD-i Wonderfully Classic Gaming Parade--Like the title, this collection is a winner! Why not with games like, "Legend Of Zelda: Wand of Gamelon" and "Hotel Mario". Any collection with a Mario and not one, not two, but 3 Zelda games must be a great collection, right?

6) Bargain Bin Blowout--Finally! We have a collection that would be long overdue. Remember all those games you found in the bargain bin at your local department store for about $1 each in the mid 80's? Well, we crammed as many games as we could in this great collection, play games like: "Dancing Plates", "Eggomania", "Deadly Duck", "Word Zapper", "Killer Satellites", and more! Who could ask for anything more? Long live the crash!

So let's spread the word and see that at least some of these collections see the light of day. I'm sure some of these would be long overdue. ;-)

"You have entered a room, it's pitch black. You might be eaten by a grue."
    Funspot72

Blog Entries

Not a "commercial" release but don't forget about Sean Kelly's vectrex Multicart. This is one helluva anthology of all vex games including homebrews and protos. If you have a vex you need to get your hands on one of these carts.

Look for Sean selling them occasionally on GameGavel for $80. Grab one at this price as resellers get upwords of $150 for them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast