Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Pandora is getting close to release.

So what is the deal on not shipping these? Are they still waiting on a certain volume of orders before another round of production?

Quote Originally Posted by darksol View Post
    So what is the deal on not shipping these? Are they still waiting on a certain volume of orders before another round of production?
    No, they don't need any more orders. They got pretty much all 4,000 pre-orders needed two years ago. They only had finalized designs/production ready earlier this year. The problem is it's basically a couple of people doing all of the assembly/testing/shipping, so they're averaging maybe a few systems per week out the door since they were first finalized. As has been the case over the two years, problems continue to plague the operation. The latest thing was dodgy controllers. To their credit, they're doing everything possible to make sure each unit is perfect, but two years is an eternity in the tech world and what would have been a wonder product back then is now just something kind of neat and not necessarily worth all the other baggage, including of course waiting for software development to mature.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_loguidice View Post
    No, they don't need any more orders. They got pretty much all 4,000 pre-orders needed two years ago. They only had finalized designs/production ready earlier this year. The problem is it's basically a couple of people doing all of the assembly/testing/shipping, so they're averaging maybe a few systems per week out the door since they were first finalized. As has been the case over the two years, problems continue to plague the operation. The latest thing was dodgy controllers. To their credit, they're doing everything possible to make sure each unit is perfect, but two years is an eternity in the tech world and what would have been a wonder product back then is now just something kind of neat and not necessarily worth all the other baggage, including of course waiting for software development to mature.
    Wow, unbelievable! You are right, when Pandora was first introduced it was amazing. But the chipset they are using , the TI 3530 is getting long in the tooth versus even what smartphones are equipped now. Get some mini HDMI action to the TV and a decent Bluetooth controller with a good DPAD and you are good to go.

From what i get from the post, pre-orders on the second batch of 4000 have/had started, i think they employee more than a couple of people to do the assembly/testing/shipping, it was said in one of the posts but i cannot find it . Wow yeah there have been a lot of problems. In the tech world two years is an eternity, but it is hard to find a device that covers everything like the pandora does. You get software development also with anything you buy, especially open source devices.

Wow, unbelievable! You are right, when Pandora was first introduced it was amazing. But the chipset they are using , the TI 3530 is getting long in the tooth versus even what smartphones are equipped now. Get some mini HDMI action to the TV and a decent Bluetooth controller with a good DPAD and you are good to go.
    People are often compairing the tech of the Pandora against the smart phone, yep the tech is better, but a lot do not have the control set up like the Pandora, so playing games on the n64 becomes a pain. There is Tv adaptor coming for the Pandora, and the dpad on the Pandora is excellent(my compairsons for these are the dingoo, the psp, the ds lite,) i think the Pandora dpad is almost as good as the dsi. The nubs are responsive, and work really well with Super Mario 64. Although i had waited a long time for my Pandora, was it worth the wait? hell yeah!
    Last edited by lestat1uk; 09-10-10 at 06:49.

As I've mentioned at Armchair Arcade, I'm SERIOUSLY close to requesting a refund for my $400+. The two year wait is bad enough, but I'm starting to see things like the Panasonic Jungle and MMC that would meet my needs eventually if I so chose, and I could put that $400+ towards an Alienware laptop RIGHT now, which would be helpful because I don't have a gaming PC at all these days.
    There main problem has been at the moment is the new nubs for the Pandora, where a number of Pandora's had been sent back because of faulty nubs they had to responed to this problem and the new nubs are suppose to be stronger, i have old nubs i hope if my break again it will be in warranty.

This is a pretty good link that will allow you to see all the posts that the Pandora team has been posting not just in the forums but on twitter as well:

http://alec.mooo.com/lol/cxs.php

Yeah i saw the Jungle a few days ago although it is one ugly mother, i am keeping an eye on it . I doubt that it will be open source but hopefully some creative hacker will soon sort that out .

Or perhaps this is more "up your street", Bill?

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/09/15/...ail-windows-7/
    Last edited by lestat1uk; 09-10-10 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by lestat1uk View Post
    From what i get from the post, pre-orders on the second batch of 4000 have/had started, i think they employee more than a couple of people to do the assembly/testing/shipping, it was said in one of the posts but i cannot find it . Wow yeah there have been a lot of problems. In the tech world two years is an eternity, but it is hard to find a device that covers everything like the pandora does. You get software development also with anything you buy, especially open source devices.
    That's the thing that really gets under my skin. They haven't shipped out even the first 500 of the first 4,000 pre-orders from 2 years ago and there's no ETA when they'll even reach that milestone, yet they're taking pre-orders for the next 4,000. At this pace, the 8,000th person will get his order some time in 2014! I'm glad you're happy with yours and I'm sure it will bring people many years of joy, but enough is enough. Of course I STILL haven't gotten a response to my e-mail requesting a refund (surprise, surprise), so who knows what my eventual status will be.

My refund "cheque" has been dispatched. Hopefully I have no issues with cashing it here in the US after it arrives.

My refund "cheque" has been dispatched. Hopefully I have no issues with cashing it here in the US after it arrives.
    I think you will have no issue there. I was hoping for another fellow Pandorian One of the things that made people mad were they promised to keep a queue, which it seems there was no queue, if i never have skipped the queue and went with the broken nub (which was the right nub which worked fine, it was the left nub that broke) i would have had to have waited like you have. Thankfully my Pandora got replaced when the left nub broke.

That's the thing that really gets under my skin. They haven't shipped out even the first 500 of the first 4,000 pre-orders from 2 years ago and there's no ETA when they'll even reach that milestone, yet they're taking pre-orders for the next 4,000. At this pace, the 8,000th person will get his order some time in 2014!
    I think i read somewhere on the forums they were going for the end of the year on completing both batches. It is such a shame that they have had so much trouble with the Pandora, because when it was being devolped, they asked the community what they wanted from a handheld, you just would not get something like that from a company for example gamepark holdings, nintendo, or sony.

I am always interested in new gadgets so keep posting what new handheld (if you get a handheld that is) you get

Really, I think I'll be skipping the handheld for now, lestat1uk, and just go for the Alienware laptop. I can give my existing laptop to my oldest daughter so she can play Webkinz, among other things, since the hand-me-down laptop she has appears to be kaput. Like I said, if the Pandora guys get their act together and/or stores actually stock the item, I certainly see one in my future. If I got a future handheld emulation machine, though, it would have to be Pandora-like with keyboard and several control options like the high end one you linked to a few messages back. Otherwise, I have all the standard stuff taken care of portable emulation-wise with the stuff I already own (like the GP2X-F200)...

I really hope the Pandora guys get there act together also, because word of mouth tend to sell units, when i show people my Pandora they are amazed by it, and want one, then i have to tell them they have to pay up front and wait which never sits well. I am thinking about getting my nephew a gp2x f-200 for christmas, how are they in comparison to the gp2x?(i had one of these and the battery would be eaten up so fast, also the joystick was a nightmare)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast