Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pandora is getting close to release.

Twitter[/COLOR]
    "The penalty for failure is video death"

i just ordered myself a dingoo, to keep me busy until the pandora makes an appearance, it looks interesting, it has some interesting features, and i saw a review of it (done by no other then craigx of gbax.com and one of the creators of the pandora) and thought i would give it a go, i got mine for about 56 GBP from ebay (free p+p) so i got one for a friend as well.

[QUOTE=lestat1uk;12147]hi,
    i can confirm that the pandora has PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware, here are the specs :
    http://www.open-pandora.org/

Alot of people talk about the ipod touch/ iphone as a gaming platform, (i have an ipod touch) i would not even consider it untill there is a decent controller for it, the controls on the touch are really bad, i find a lot games/emulators so hard to play on it.

I am thinking also about text adventures on the keyboard, on a hand held, that would be cool to be able to play zork and kings quest on a hand held, there are so many possibilities with the pandora.

/QUOTE]

I have an iphone. I like it. I don't love it. The major problem with it as far as games go is, as you pointed out, the lack of hardware buttons. It simply can't manage a lot of gaming styles well. I've tried virtual onscreen control sticks, I've tried accelerometer controls, and they simply do not work well at all. They're very awkward, and make the games frustrating to play.

However, for those games that DO work with the broad finger strokes well, it is quite marvelous. I've been playing a lot of Skee-ball lately on it (a sort of cross between bowling and target shooting), and it's marvelous, much more fluid and intutitive than it would be with a d-pad and buttons. Much like the DS and Wii, it can provide some stellar gaming experiences, but you have to look carefully to find them and be aware of the control mechanism before you buy.

Now for the Pandora. I must admit, I am very tempted. It has all of the controls, including a keyboard. I've been looking for a way to put text adventures in my pocket and play them fluidly for a while, never with complete success.

It all depends on the emulation and the performance. I'm much more of a computer gamer, myself, so those are the emulators that count. If it can run VICE as well as the PC can, it might be worth the high price for that alone. Give me proper, working, fully developed Amiga and Atari ST emulation, enough to run demos as well as games, and I could well force myself to find a way to scratch up the 200 quid. Somehow.

I have to admit i have a bit of a love hate relationship with my ipod touch, i love the games that come out, just hate the controls i have seen something called the icontrolpad is being made by a third party company for the iphone/ipod touch, that looks like just what they need. if you go here :

http://www.gbax.com/

there is a youtube video of it working.

I had an atari st back in the day, and i am looking forward to when they do this as an emulator, i have no doubts in my mind that both the st and the amiga will be ported over from the gp2x. Hell i am even looking forward to just playing the hobbit again on a hand held on the sinclair spectrum . Craigx has already talking about the end of January, so hopefully i can write a full review then

ok, i have had my dingoo now for a couple of weeks, and had enough time to play around with it, first off here are the points i didn't like about it :

It feels like cheap chinese crap plastic.
    Out of the box it kept freezing when playing games, and i had to keep hitting the reset button in the side.
    I had a nightmare trying to put dingux on my dingoo, it was just a matter of not pressing reset and b and press the on/off switch up and holding b

what i liked about it :

Mega/sega cd games work on it.
    mame works really well it.
    doom

it is a great little gadget, i play my dingoo more times then i play my dsi(i do break now and again for a game on pen 1 grand prix no mondai special) , i don't think (i am just guessing here as the pandora has yet to make an appearance) it will beat the pandora, but hell, whilst i am waiting for it, this is going to kill alot of time. If you cannot afford or get a pandora this is a good item to have big thumbs up from me. I also bought one for a female friend at work, and she loved the dingoo as well, she loves sonic, and also i introduced her to adventure island, and metroid games, i am going to put dingux on there for her soon, and hopefully she will get into the arcade games as well.

6. Exclamation

It feels like cheap chinese crap plastic.
    Out of the box it kept freezing when playing games, and i had to keep hitting the reset button in the side.
    I guess the "cheap" plastic is a matter of opinion. I don't think it feels that cheap. This comes from someone once owning cheap Chinese crud like the "Game Axe"
    Unless, maybe, they have changed the manufacturing process for some of the later revisions. Also, you might be having a lot of freezing up during games if you haven't updated the firmware, and / or you have one of the later revision Dingoos. It seems that the latter revision Dingoos (without the paw) have issues. Although, DealExtreme is reported to only be selling the paw version, so they are probably still being manufactured; just not as widespread to other outlets.

Even if I get a Pandora down the line, and I probably will, I have a feeling that I will still be using my Dingoo for everything <= SNES, since I think the form factor is near perfect for these types of games. Of course, I am most interested in the Pandora for its N64 emulation, and similarly powerful GPU driven consoles, as the Dingoo lacks a GPU.

By the way, I have researched the motherboard that the Pandora uses, and it is known as the "Beagle Board"

This motherboard is widely available, and about $150.00. I plan to eventually use it in one of my own projects. They also make a more powerful version of the board with more ram and built-in Wi-Fi. So chances are, if the Pandora ever makes it off the starting block; we will see a more powerful Pandora not long after.

The casing to me feels cheap, i have had a few chinese mp4 players, they had pretty cheap casings on them to, but that is fine, it is what is inside that really got my attention.

I forgot to add to my dislikes is the playstation 1 emulation, i was so looking forward to playing this, and it was soooo slow, hopefully a future release will sort this out.

yes it was the firmware update, but i was thinking about people that would not think about doing a firmware update, that play the handheld straight from the box and go no further with it.

I hope they do make better pandora's because if the pandora is going to be as good as the hype, then the next more powerful pandora's will have some pretty damn good emulators on it, maybe one day we will have a handheld system with emulators playing two player on say street fighter 2 or bubble bobble or something like that. If they do better sign me up .

8. Exclamation

I forgot to add to my dislikes is the Playstation 1 emulation, i was so looking forward to playing this, and it was soooo slow, hopefully a future release will sort this out.
    It's not really fair to add that to the dislikes list.
    The Dingoo does not have a GPU; so Playstation emulation will never really be playable. Why that project was even started is beyond me. It is a complete waste of time.
    If the author of the emulator knew anything about hardware or software, he would not have bothered trying to implement it. My guess is that he just ported over ePSXe.

Yes it was the firmware update, but i was thinking about people that would not think about doing a firmware update, that play the hand-held straight from the box and go no further with it.
    That's a valid point, I suppose. But with any of these type of non commercial electronics; there are inevitably going to be maintenance releases. If the Dingoo and other hand-held devices are in the hands of an individual that doesn't plan on doing a firmware update or even understand what one is; I hate to say it, but this hand-held is in the wrong hands lol
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 31-01-10 at 07:16.

ok, it has been quite a few weeks now since i have had my dingoo, and i have converted three more people to the dingoo (they are just waiting for the dingoo to arrive chinese new year) and they really don't have any idea how to do updates, and dual boot the dingoo, so i guess i have just made more work for myself , but hey it will be worth it. Also
    It's not really fair to add that to the dislikes list.
    The Dingoo does not have a GPU; so Playstation emulation will never really be playable. Why that project was even started is beyond me. It is a complete waste of time.
    Can i add the project to my dislike list instead huh ?? lol

I suppose. But with any of these type of non commercial electronics; there are inevitably going to be maintenance releases. If the Dingoo and other hand-held devices are in the hands of an individual that doesn't plan on doing a firmware update or even understand what one is; I hate to say it, but this hand-held is in the wrong hands lol
    The firmware can be a pain to install, but it was the dual booting that i think would be a real problem to a noob, hell it gave me problems.

Anyway more pandora news, the chinese company making the pandora's case have finally gone back to work early, so it is just the case's and the keymats to go and mass production can start (i was starting to think of the pandora as unobtainium)
    Last edited by lestat1uk; 22-02-10 at 07:46. Reason: typo

Well it has been a few months since i last wrote an update, anyone who is following the pandora development would know that there is now 1500 motherboards in the uk, waiting for there casing's. The casing's and the keymats are on there way from china, and should be here tomorrow, and the assembling can start. I contacted the openpandora team to see where i am in the queue and i was told between 350-450, so hopefully not long to wait , i know that once i have got my pandora, i can play both atari st and commodore amiga plus the c64 zx spectrum, and the usual suspects of emulators , the playstation and the N64 emulators are not going to availible at the time of pandora release as they still need work done on them, so hopefully not long to go there. As far as my dingoo goes, i still play it, i have been playing both the metroid games on the gba emulator very good games, i just started playing river city (is it ransom?) on the gba, a very weird but fun game. I showed the dingoo to my brother and my cousin, they both want one, so i shall be buying them both dingoo's for there birthday's
    Last edited by lestat1uk; 11-05-10 at 11:49. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast