Thread: Complete List of Sega Genesis Clones (Work in progress)

1. Post Complete List and Comparison of Sega Genesis Clones (Work in progress)

Manufacturer(s) / Possible Distributor(s) / One-in-the-same Aliases:
    Innex / AtGames / Hyperkin / Retro-bit
    :

Built-in Games for all Officially Licensed Sega Genesis clone consoles from the manufacturer's mentioned above include the following:
    1. Sonic & Kunckles
    2. Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle
    3. Gain Ground
    4. Arrow Flash
    5. Shinobi II – Return of The Ninja
    6. Ecco Jr.
    7. Golden Axe
    8. Crack Down
    9. Altered Beast
    10. Flicky
    11. Decap Attach
    12. Eswat City: Under Siege
    13. Alien Storm
    14. Shadow Dance
    15. Columns III
    16. Sonic Spinball
    17. Jewel Master
    18. Kid Chameleon
    19. Dr.Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
    20. Ecco the Dolphin

Sega Genesis Firebox / Firecore Classic Game Console - 20 games (Item No.: FB8200-20) (Unverified Compat. Claim: Sega Genesis (NTSC) / Megadrive (PAL) 1&2) (Black Design)

This product is Officially Licensed by Sega.

Includes:
    1. Two wired 6-button classic controllers,
      which are based off of the original standard
      Sega Genesis controllers, of the same type and
      connector pin-out .
    2. Standard RCA AV cable (yellow/white).

Features / Specs:
    1. Switch to change between NTSC and PAL.
    2. Standard On / Off button (No reset or mode button).
    3. Menu button
    4. Operating Voltage: 9V via included AC Adaptor
    5. Supports Firecore wireless controllers using its IR receiver.
      These appear to be unavailable at this time?
    6. Support for as of unreleased Firecore SD cartridges.
      It is assumed that these are the same / similar to the standard
      flash carts available from Tototek and similar companies. i.e. Major
      Disappointment as it is probably not able to be easily
      customized by users to include user selectable ROMS.
    7. S-Video / RGB Support: Not standard on TV / monitor.
      Unknown if these video standards can be made available with mod.
    8. Audio Out: Unverified: This system appears to output only mono / dual mono.
      Unknown if stereo mod is possible.

Associated Links:
    • Official Innex Product Detail Page

WARNING! (Will Robinson!):
      GamingBits.com, or most likely one or more of it's related add feed(s), appear to be infected with some sort of Java / Javascript exploit / virus, or piece of spyware. This was confirmed by myself, after being discovered by fellow GameGavel forum member, IG-88I (thanks for the warning!). I personally do not know much about it, as I was only to get my currently installed virus program to trigger a warning regarding the exploit once and it doesn't seem to have logged the notice. Although, I believe it identified it as some sort of Trojan Horse. With that said, now is a great time to upgrade your Antivirus software, or for goodness sake install some. For the record, I recommend avast! Home Edition, which works better than everything I have tried thus far including most commercial antivirus software such as Norton, McAfee, etc. I also recommend that you install Spybot-S&D and use its immunize feature. Also, I suggest that you use almost any browser other than Internet Explorer, whenever possible, as it is much more vulnerable to exploitation vs most other browsers. Obviously, I am recommending that you take these precautions before clicking on any GamingBits.com link.

With that out of the way, the possible security risk can be circumvented by using the links below instead,
      as they are the print page of the prospective article, and its corresponding PDF page, which are NOT infected.

• Gaming Bits - AtGames Firecore Classic SEGA Genesis Console
      (Associated PDF Available here).

Associated Image:

(Source: GamingBits.com)

Sega Gen Core from Hyperkin - Built In Games + Cart Slot - 20 games (Item No.: M05067) (Unverified Compat. Claim: Sega Genesis (NTSC) / Megadrive (PAL) 1&2) (Blue Design)

This system's specs appear to be identical to the one with the black design above, except that it is blue and modeled to look somewhat like Sonic.

Associated Image:

(Source: GameGavel.com)

Attached
    (Source: The-Nomad-Junkyard.blogspot.com)

Available for Purchase from these fine retailers:
    Our Very Own GameGavel.com!

Gen Mobile - Handheld Genesis from Hyperkin - Built In Games + Cart Slot - 20 games (Item No.: M05068) (Unverified Compat. Claim: Sega Genesis (NTSC) / Megadrive (PAL) 1&2) (Black Design)

This system's is currently available in blue or black.
    Other colors have been seen on adverts around the web, and maybe available in the future.

Includes:
    1. Standard RCA AV cable (yellow/white).
    2. AC Adapter: Yes (4.2VCD) via standard 4-pin USB Mini Type B plug

Features / Specs:
    1. Unverified: Switch to change between NTSC and PAL.
    3. Menu button
    4. Operating Voltage: Integrated Li-ion battery (Model 423450A, 750Mah in capacity, Voltage 3.7VCD)
    5. Typical Battery Life: 5-6+ hours?.
    6. Contrast / Brightness Controls: Unknown
    7. Headphone Jack: Yes
    8. Volume Controle
    9. AV output jack: Yes
    10. S-Video / RGB Support: Not standard on Output / Unknown what video standard is outputted to integrated screen. Also Unknown if system supports these video standard for output to outside TV / monitor with Mod.
    11. Audio Out: Unverified: This system appears to output only mono / dual mono.
    12. IR receiver: NONE (does not appear to support Firecore wireless controllers)
    13. NO Support for as of unreleased Firecore SD cartridges or Standard SD cartridges.
    14. Controller Ports: NONE
    15. Integrated Controller Layout: Standard 6-Button Genesis
    16. Integrated Display: 2.4-inch LCD (Unknown max brightness, contrast, pixel response time, dot pitch, max number of colors, and resolution support etc)

Associated Links:

Associated Images:

(Source: GameGavel.com)

Attached

(Source: The-Nomad-Junkyard.blogspot.com)

Available for Purchase from these fine retailers:
    Our Very Own GameGavel.com!

Portable Handheld for Sega Genesis - 20 Games (Item No.: RB-GEN-1124)
    (Unverified Compat. Claim: Sega Genesis (NTSC) / Megadrive (PAL) 1&2)

Includes:
    2. AC Adapter: Unknown; banking on NO.

Features / Specs:
    1. Unverified: Switch to change between NTSC and PAL.
    3. Menu button
    4. Operating Voltage: Three AAA batteries (Unknown Operating Voltage: Are batteries installed in Parallel or Series?)
    5. Typical Battery Life: Unknown.
    8. Volume Control
    10. S-Video / RGB Support: Not standard on Output / Unknown what video standard is outputted to integrated screen. Also Unknown if system supports these video standard for output to outside TV / monitor with Mod.
    12. IR receiver: NONE (does not appear to support Firecore wireless controllers)
    13. Genesis / Mega Drive compatible cartridge port.
    14. Support for Standard SD cartridges of various sizes filled with user selectable ROMS. (Unverified: NO Save Feature except when
      playing one of the 20 built-in games listed near the top of this thread.
    15. Controller Ports: NONE
    16. Integrated Controller Layout: Standard 3-Button Genesis
    17. Integrated Display: 2.4-inch LCD (Unknown max brightness, contrast, pixel response time, dot pitch, max number of colors, and resolution support etc)

Associated Links:

Associated Image:

(Source: Geek.com)

Sega Mega Drive Gopher Portable Handheld for Sega Genesis - 20 Games (Item No.: MISC-0187)
    (Unverified Compat. Claim: Sega Genesis (NTSC) / Megadrive (PAL) 1&2) ROMS

Includes:
    2. AC Adapter: Yes (4.2VCD) via standard 4-pin USB Mini Type B plug

Features / Specs:
    1. Standard On / Off button (No reset or mode button).
    2. Menu button
    3. Operating Voltage: Integrated (Li-ion? specs?) battery
    4. Typical Battery Life: Unknown.
    5. Contrast / Brightness Controls: Unknown
    6. Headphone Jack: Yes
    7. Volume Control
    8. AV output jack: Yes
    9. S-Video / RGB Support: Not standard on Output / Unknown what video standard is outputted to integrated screen. Also Unknown if system supports these video standard for output to outside TV / monitor with Mod.
    10. Audio Out: Unverified: This system appears to output only mono / dual mono.
    11. IR receiver: Version 2 ONLY for use with the currently unreleased Firecore wireless controllers)
    12. NO Genesis / Mega Drive compatible cartridge port.
    13. Controller Ports: NONE
    14. Integrated Controller Layout: Standard 6-Button Genesis
    15. Integrated Display: 2.8-inch LCD (Unknown max brightness, contrast, pixel response time, dot pitch, max number of colors, and resolution support etc)

Associated Links:

Associated Images:

Version 1 of this clone console:

(Source: SuperUFO.com)

Version 2 of this clone console:

(Source: GoldenShop.com.hk)

Version 2 of the Gopher, branded Firecore, has the added funcionality of an IR receiver, so you can use wireless Firecore mega drive controllers with it (unconfirmed 2 player compatibility). Besides IR and the orange grips on the back, there appears to be no distinguishable difference between these two versions of the portable.

Retro-bit RetroGen - Portable Sega Genesis System - 12 games (Item No.: Unknown) (Unverified Compat. Claim: Sega Genesis (NTSC) / Megadrive (PAL) 1&2))

Includes the following 12 built-in Firecore games:
    1. Cross the Road
    2. Jack's Pea
    3. Jewel Magic
    4. Curling 2010
    5. Air Hockey
    6. Maze 2010
    7. Wall Breaking
    8. Snow Boarding
    9. Break Fireline
    10. Checker
    11. Mahjong
    12. Naval Power

This product is NOT [i]Officially Licensed[i] by Sega.

Includes:
    2. AC Adapter: Yes (Unknown Voltage) via standard 4-pin USB Mini Type B plug

Features / Specs:
    1. Switch to change between NTSC and PAL.
    3. Menu button
    4. Operating Voltage: Integrated Li-ion battery (Model, Captacity, and Voltage Unknown)
    5. Typical Battery Life: Unknown.
    8. Volume Control
    13. Genesis / Mega Drive compatible cartridge port.
    14. NO Support for as of unreleased Firecore SD cartridges or Standard SD cartridges.
    15. Controller Ports: NONE
    16. Integrated Controller Layout: Standard 6-Button Genesis
    17. Integrated Display: 2.8-inch LCD (Unknown max brightness, contrast, pixel response time, dot pitch, max number of colors, and resolution support etc)

Associated Links:

Associated Images:

(Source: sega-16.com)

"The Genesis Device" - Plug-n-Play Clone Console - (Item No.: Unknown) (Unverified Compat. Claim: Sega Genesis (NTSC) / Megadrive (PAL) 1&2) ROMS)

Includes the following 2 built-in games (small caution: standard over-writable ROMS):
    • Sonic 1
    • Sonic Weird
      (a hacked version of Sonic 1)

This product is NOT Officially Licensed by Sega.

Includes:
    • Standard RCA AV cable (yellow/white).
    • AC Adapter: NO

Features / Specs:
    • Standard On / Off button
    • Reset button
    • Power is provided by three "AA" batteries which get inserted in its back
    • Typical Battery Life: 2+ hours.
    • Headphone Jack: NO
    • Volume Control (can be adjusted by holding Select and up/down on the direction pad both the menu and during games)
    • AV output jack: Yes
    • S-Video / RGB Support: Not standard. Also Unknown if system supports these video standard for output to outside TV / monitor with Mod.
    • Audio Out: Unverified: This system appears to output only mono / dual mono.
    • Support for Standard SD cartridges of various sizes filled with user selectable ROMS. (Unverified: Save Feature enabled only when playing either of the two game ROMS that you copy onto the integrated flash memory from a standard SD card. NOTE: There does NOT appear that there is a way to back up game saves.
    • Controller Ports: 1 standard genesis controller port for use with a second player controller.
    • Integrated Controller Layout: Standard 6-Button Genesis

Associated Links:

Associated Images:

(Source: genesisdevice.blogspot.com)

Other Important Findings:
    Regarding Future Flash Cart Compatibility:
    GEN Mobile WORKS with flash cartridge

NOTE: This is a very sketchy video.
    It appears to have been captured in a very low light
    environment and sligtly out of focus with a lousy self
    made label on the flash cart as to hide the fact that
    this is very likely just a standard Tototek flash cartridge.

UPDATE: I have confirmed that the flash cart shown running on the Gen Mobile
    in the video above, as I suspected, in fact a Tototek flash cart. More specifically,
    it is a Tototek model MD-Pro 64 flash cart.

Here, is the written confirmation from the source of the video himself (Beastech):
    That is a tototek cart, well the shell is actually Deon Sanders NFL Football, but the inside is a tototek cart.

The tototek cart went ape on the Retrogen, sometimes it wouldn't let you select a game, and once in a game the screen would flicker all the time and sometimes buttons wouldn't work or it would decide to input commands for you. Thats why I originally said that it worked for the Retrogen, and then with more testing found out that it doesn't really work.
    Please visit post #1065 (on page 71, entitled New Sega Nomad?) on the Sega-16.com (Genesis Does Forum!) for the source of original discussion concerning this finding for more information.

UPDATE: I have read of more detailed information regarding the internal guts of the FireCore clone console:
    I have a FireCore unit now....Just finished taking the whole thing apart and doing a very detailed study of its motherboard..Also, desoldered the native cartridge connector and installed a better one...You'll be surprised of what I've found..All of the connections are there (except B30), including B19...The sound can possibly be fixed (2 sound signals from the Emu GOAC attached to a very small amp, create the mono audio output of the unit, so, by installing a dual Op Amp, there is the possibility to be better amplified)....The system game emulation itself, is totally different than the first Atgames MegaDrive...A new machine indeed....Hopefully soon, I'll do a FireCore technical review thread soon, with more specific details and a game compatibilty list....
    (Source: Sega-16 forum member ooXxXoo

Please visit post #1076 (on page 72, entitled New Sega Nomad?) on the Sega-16.com (Genesis Does Forum!) for the source of original discussion concerning this finding for more information.

UPDATE: I came across a video entitled New Sega Nomad - Retro Gen Portable Genesis - Retrogen Mega Drive Handheld Portable Preview so I thought I would post it.

What makes this video significant, especially considering that it premiered back in June of 2009, is that the reporter actually interviews Joey Ngoy, Vice President of Innex, Inc., and reveals several possible future features of namely Innex's RetroGen and it's home console counterpart, the Firecore Classic Console. Interestingly, they discuss 64bit (I assume he meant 64MB) games, as he also described the original official Sega Genesis as being 32bit, and not 16bit, which we all should know is what it really was. On the other hand, he may have bee referring to the fact that the CPU was actually a 16/32-bit processor (a Motorola 68000 running at 7.67 MHz). I assume then, that the FireCore Console Clone(s) use a compatible 32/64-bit Motorola 68000 CPU (not necessarily manufactured by Motorola). However, to my knowledge, no known officially licensed Sega Genesis / Mega Drive cartridges were programmed to take advantage of possible 32bit features. Instead, all known originally released games during the official consoles life span were programmed to take advantage of 16bit features only. To be clear, the I should mention that Sound Controller, for the offical Sega Genesis models, was a Zilog Z80 8-bit processor. I am not aware what type of Sound Controller any of the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive clone consoles use, but whatever they use, all of the clones have some issues reproducing 100% accurate sound. With that said, many people have found the produced audio output, from most of the clone consoles, to be good, if not not good enough.

Personal Opinions:

Very unlikely to be covered by me in any future updates to this thread (due to low interest on my part, low system compatibility, lack of an official Sega license, and / or proprietary components that prevent original essential accessories from being compatible (like the lack of standard Genesis compatible controller pin-outs):
    • Innex GEN-X Console for Genesis & NES Games With 2 Controllers
    • Yobo SG/FC Dual (NES + Genesis Clone)
    • Hyperkin FC/Genesis Dual Action 2-in-1 Video Game System for Sega Genesis 16-bit & NES 8-bit Games
      (Same as Yobo above?)
    • Yobo FC-3 Plus for Genesis, SNES and NES games

In my personal opinion, the only consoles worth purchasing on this list are the following (in no particular order):

• Sega Genesis Firebox / FirecoreClassic Game Console OR Sega Gen Core from Hyperkin
    • Gen Mobile - Handheld Genesis from Hyperkin
    • Sega Mega Drive Gopher (Version 2) Portable Handheld for Sega Genesis
    • "The Genesis Device" - Plug-n-Play Clone Console

At some point I would like to buy the Gen Mobile and the "Genesis Device" and try to integrate / mod them into one portable console that supports both standard Genesis and Mega Drive carts and standard SD cards with a the ability to use a secondary controller.

Please let me know if you want to see any more updates or have any information you would like to add or any thing that you notice that needs to be changed / updated. Thank you, and I hope some of you find this at least somewhat useful, as it took me over the course of several days to gather all of this information into a easy to digest format.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 23-11-09 at 06:30.

Blog Entries

Some good links there, thanks.

I'm not sure how good the dpad on the Gopher is, because it looks bloody awful, kind of like a really bad 3rd party XBox controller dpad.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Great Job Trog! However one of the links:

Gaming Bits - AtGames Firecore Classic SEGA Genesis Console

..may be a infected. My AVG virus protection gave me a block. Just a FYI

4. Exclamation

Some good links there, thanks.
    No problem, glade you found some of the information useful.
    Feel free to pass it along

I'm not sure how good the dpad on the Gopher is, because it looks bloody awful
    I agree, although the d-pad of the Gen Mobile isn't exactly to my liking, it seems good enough, and most user's have confirmed this experience. On the other hand, I have always preferred the response and feel of the Officially Licensed Nintendo controllers (both the d-pad and controller layout).

Great Job Trog!
    Thank you very much!
    I am glad you appreciate the intense (and pracitally obsurd lol) effort,
    I have and continue to put into this.

However one of the links:
    Gaming Bits - AtGames Firecore Classic SEGA Genesis Console
    ..may be a infected. My AVG virus protection gave me a block. Just a FYI
    Thank you for the warning IG-88.
    I have confirmed this possible security risk,
    added a warning before the related links, and
    posted alternative links from the same site that
    are not infected.

CORRECTION: The RetroGen is NOT officially licensed by Sega.
    Yet another reason not to purchase this portable over the Gen Mobile.

UPDATE(s) (added to the main thread):

1. I have confirmed that the flash cart shown running on the Gen Mobile,
      in a video I posted earlier in the main thread is, as I suspected, in fact a Tototek flash cart.
      Please see my first post under the section labeled Other Important Findings for more information.
      <br>
    2. I have posted a video interview of Joey Ngoy, Vice President of Innex, Inc., which reveals several possible future features of namely Innex's RetroGen and it's home console counterpart, the Firecore Classic Console.
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 23-11-09 at 06:37.

Do you know anything about the Mega Drive 4 Guitar Idol from Tectoy in Brazil?

http://www.tectoy.com.br/produto_interna.php?id=39

It looks quite remarkable. 87 games built in, with a few myteriously modern sounding titles in there. That Guitar Idol game, clearly, plus the list mentions Sim City 4 and The Sims.

I can't find much about it, aside from a bit about the guitar game, which does seem to be an original title running on Megadrive hardware.

6. Exclamation

Do you know anything about the Mega Drive 4 Guitar Idol from Tectoy in Brazil?
    No, I don't think I recongize that console.
    Though I recently came across a similiar
    TecToy brand Mega Drive console on eBay
    with about that many games built in. Also,
    I have several TecToy Mega Drive games
    that were only released in Brazil, such as
    Duke Nukem 3D. I may bid on the TecToy
    Mega Drive clone system if I end up having
    the money. I will let you know if I find any
    additional information on these TecToy
    clones.

Troglodyte,

i fyou do a search for mercado libre brazil you'll see the ebay equiv they have there, there are LOTS of authorized clones that are available from there. The Guitar Idol is but one, and I think it's the newest. I really want one of those but can't find any used or at least not hundreds of bucks to get.

It seems that TecToy out of Brazil just kept on developing the platforms of the Mega Drive/Genesis and also the Master System, it's astounding and amazing what they've done with them.

Getting them from there to here seems to be a huge problem, though. For some reason Brazil shipping is riskier than Argentinian shipping, even using UPS or FedEx ??? That's just what I've heard.

A person I know from Sega-16 said that the consoles aren't cheap even there, and there are no flea markets or thrift shops like we have here in the US. I'd have to visit to really see first hand, but I don't speak Portugese :?

Nathan
    My chuckwagon auctions! We have ZERO OHM RESISTORS!

Covering the world with Genesis Goodness!

Retro Gamer magazine ran an article about Tectoy a while ago. From what I recall, everything that they release is fully licenced. Also, Brazil is one of the territories where Sega did quite well - the Master System outsold the NES by a good margin there.

I am also led to believe that Brazilian prices for games are on the extortionate side - even worse than here or Australia. Given that condition, it is understandable why older Sega hardware would continue to appeal there.

I'd be quite interested to know more about the package that I linked to earlier - not just for the guitar peripheral, but for the new titles as well. I wonder, just what are the Brazilians doing with game hardware abandoned by the rest of the world? Is this like what the Russians are doing with Spectrum hardware, pushing it in ways no one in Western Europe or North America would have even imagined was possible?

leathco Guest

Very cool thread!

I can confirm a few things on the Gen Mobile:

There IS a switch on the bottom to switch between NTSC and PAL, however, I've never had to use it. It seems to auto-detect region, as I can go straight from a US region to Europe region to Japanese region and they all play fine without changing the switch.

The Gen Mobile does indeed have a reset button, positioned above and to the right of the D-Pad, but no mode button.

There is no contrast or brightness control.

A minor compatibility issue, locked on cartridges don't fully work. The system will act as if only the bottom cart is in. So, your game genie will not go past the code screen to load the game, and any cart locked on to Sonic and Knuckles will not be recognized, it will just load vanilla Sonic and Knuckles. Lock on carts work fine on my FC3+ though.....wonder what changed?

10. Exclamation

Lock on carts work fine on my FC3+ though.....wonder what changed?
    I haven't really had much time to update this post...
    but I'm pretty sure that this is a voltage problem.
    As the game starts, then reboots the system.

Does anyone know if the Sega Master System Power Base converter works with any of the clone consoles (including the FC3+, etc) ?
    I am not considering physically fitting to be an aspect of this question. I am simply interested in if it works modified or unmodified with any of the clone consoles.

So far here is the list of the consoles that have been proven to be not compatible with the Power Base converter:

• Gen Mobile
    • RetroGen
    • Firebox / Firecore Classic Game Console
    • Sega Gen Core
    • SG/FC Dual Action / GN Twin / Gen-X*
    • Sega Genesis Model 3*

*"control pad did not work at all. so even though you can load the game..."
    Source: Benheck.com Forum Post

*Not really a clone system. This officially licensed version of the Genesis was released by Majesco, and had the necessary backwards compatible master system circuitry removed; rendering the Power Base converter useless.

Here are the list of games I have found to be incompatible with the Gen Mobile thus far.
    1. Game Genie
    2. Sonic & Knuckles
    (Lock-On cart; doesn't work when other games are plugged into it)
    3. Any 32X games
    4. Duke Nukem 3D
    5. Daze Before Christmas
    6. Micro Machines 2
    (Probably because it uses a Jtag cart; and needs extra power)

I know that number 2 can be fixed by using a reproduction / pirate cartridge without the lock-on technology, or just playing the main game off the Gen Mobile itself.

Micro Machines 2 doesn't seem to boot up at all when trying to power it on with just the battery; but it does run when I plug it in via the AC adapter.
    Although, when playing, the game seems to almost randomly 'pause' itself during game play. Perhaps this is due to the 2 player on one controller featuring
    and me hitting the wrong buttons though. Also, I believe that this game, unlike its prequel, was only released in Europe under the PAL format; so I had to import it.

Anyway, I have a feeling that a reproduction cartridge of this game without the Jtag interface might work perfectly. I might decide to pay someone or make
    one myself just for kicks. At the very least, I will be buying a Totek flash cart soon and I will be curious to see how the ROM for this game runs with the Gen Mobile.

I am not sure why Duke Nukem 3D and Daze Before Christmas, don't work right, and I have doubts that a reproduction cartridge would allow them to work correctly.
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 04-02-10 at 05:48.